IndiaDivine.org

Hayagreeva--Sweet

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Sri Hayagriva AarAdhanam is Sep 28 this year .Please prepare and offer this specail dish dear to Lord Hayagrivan on this day , which also happens to be Vijaya Dasami day .

NamO SrI HayagrIvAya,

V.Sadagopan

SrI:

Dear Sadagopan mama;

Wanted to share "Hayagreeva "recipe which is prepared by Madwas .We make neivedyam of sundal with horsegram ,morkuzhambu with gotakula/its family and sweet with channadal that poli we do all probbaly we are from parakalamutt ( karnataka)

Thank you

With

Aneka Pranamams

Krishnapriya

Hayagreeva and the Story

Hayagreeva is a very common sweet dish made in most Madhwa temples, especially in Rayara Matta’s. If you have visited Sode or Sonda, the place of Shri Vadiraja Thirtharu, you sure will know the story of Hayagreeva also.

Lord Hayagriva or Hayavadana is an avatar of Vishnu. He is worshiped as the God of knowledge and wisdom, with a human body and a horse’s head, brilliant white in color, with white garments and seated on a white lotus.

Quote from Dvaita.org:

Every day, Sri Vâdirâja Tîrtha would offer a sweet dish called Hayagrîva (a preparation consisting of jaggery, almonds, ghee and kaDale (lentil) by keeping it in a tray and holding it on his head while seated (as shown in the image below). The Lord Hayavadana used to take a form of a white horse, and would put his feet at the shoulders of Sri Vâdirâja Tîrtha, eat the sweet, play for some time like a horse, and disappear into the Hayavadana icon. It is said that Sri Vâdiraja Tîrtha would sing the ‘Dashâvatâra-stuti’, set to an ‘ashvaghâTi’ (literally, a horse’s trot) beat, to please the Lord, and the latter Himself would appear and dance when His devotee sang to Him.

Hayagreeva done by most of my relatives including my Mom & Ajji comes close to the taste of Rayara Matta, but never the same. I guess it is the place where we eat food also matters.

Anyway, many of you had asked for this recipe, I had postponed it for a long time. When I talked to my Mom about what she had prepared for Dasara which was also my parents wedding anniversary, she said she had prepared Hayagreeva. My daughter heard and asked me to prepare the same as well. Since this requires lot of ghee, I resist doing such items, but once in a year it is Ok to eat such dishes right? So, here comes the recipe for the same.

Ingredients:

1 and 1/2 cup Kadale Bele or Channa dal 2 cups brown sugar or grated jaggery 7 cloves 5-6 kesari or saffron strands dissolved in water. Raisins and cashews as much as you want. 2 tsp Ghasgase or Khus Khus 1/4 cup grated dry coconut 1/2 cup ghee

Method:

In 3 tsp ghee fry channa dal until brown. Put water until all the dal is covered and pressure cook for 4 whistles. Once the pressure is down, strain all the water from the channa dal. Transfer this into a pan, and now add jaggery and cook in low heat. Add the kesari also. In another pan, add the remaining ghee. Fry the raisins, cashews, khus khus, cloves and coconut. Transfer this to the cooked channa dal. Cover and cook for another 4-5 minutes. P.S: Once the pressure comes down, it takes around 15 minutes to prepare this dish. Serves 4 people.