IndiaDivine.org

tyAgarAja_kritis_ series - krti for today - krti11 - anupamagunambudhi- raaga aThAna

Rate this topic

Guest guest

SrI:

Dear rAma bhaktAs:

The krti for today is “anupamagunambudhi” by SrI tyAgarAja swami in raagam aThAnA. Set in the mood of Amara-rOsha-rOshOkti (anger-remonstrance-grievance), SrI tyAgarAja prays to SrI rAma to have mercy on him.

Audio of the krti as rendered by the renowned Malladi brothers is provided as link in the content below.

dAsan

Oppiliappan Koil V. Sadagopan

SrI:

SrI raghunandanaparabrahmaNe namaH

krti 11

Song anupama guNAmbudhi

raaga aThaNA

In the krti 'anupama guNAmbudhi' – rAga aThANA, SrI tyAgarAja prays to SrI rAma to have mercy on him.

pallavi:

anupama guN(A)mbudhi-

(y)ani ninnu nera nammi-

(y)anusarincina vADanaiti

anupallavi:

manupakayE(y)unnAvu

manu patI vrAsi mE-

(m)anupa mAk(e)varu

vinumA daya rAni (anupama)

caraNam 1:

janaka jAmAtavai

janakajA mAtavai

janaka jAlamu cAlu

cAlunu hari (anupama)

caraNam 2:

kanaka paTa dhara nannu

kana kapaTam(E)la tanu

kanaka paT hanamu

sEtu kAni pUni (anupama)

caraNam 3

kalalOnu nIvE

sakala lOka nAtha

kOkalu lOkuva kan(i)cci

kAcinadi vini (anupama)

caraNam 4:

rAja kula kalaS(A)bdhi

rAja sura pAla

gaja rAja rakshaka tyAgarAja

vinuta (anupama)

Gist

O King! O Father! O Lord hari! O Lord wearing golden (hued) garments! O Lord of all worlds! O Moon born in the ocean of Royal lineage! O the protector of celestials! O protector of gajEndra – the King of elephants! O Lord praised by this tyAgarAja! Having totally believed that you are the incomparable Ocean of Virtues, I became your adherent. You remain without protecting me; please listen, who else is there for us through whom we can send in writing about our plight? None . Therefore, may Your mercy be showered on us.

You are the son-in-law on King janaka; You are Earth in patience; quite enough of your deceit. Why this pretence to look at me? Without seeing You, I shall indeed decidedly keep reciting (Your names till You show up). Even in my dreams only You are there; having heard about Your saving draupadi, looking at her humiliation, by giving sarees, I completely believed that you are the incomparable Ocean of virtues and I became your adherent.

Word-by-word Meaning

P Having totally (nera) believed (nammi) that (ani) you are the incomparable (anupama) Ocean (ambudhi) of Virtues (guNa) (guNAmbudhiyani), I became (aiti) your adherent (anusarincina vADu) (nammiyanusarincina) (vADanaiti).

A O King – Lord (patI) of men (manu)! You remain (unnAvu) without protecting (manupakayE) (manupakayEyunnAvu) me; please listen (vinumA), who else (evaru) is there for us (mAku) (mAkevaru) through whom we (mEmu) can send (anupa) (mEmanupa) in writing (vrAsi) (about our plight)? Therefore, may Your mercy (daya) be showered (rAni) (literally let it come) on us; Having completely believed that you are the incomparable Ocean of virtues, I became your adherent.

C 1 You are the son-in-law (jamAtavai) on King janaka; You are Earth – mother (mAtavai) of sItA – daughter of king janaka (janakajA) in patience; O Father (janaka)! Quite enough (cAlu cAlunu) of your deceit (jAlamu); O Lord hari! Having completely believed that you are the incomparable Ocean of virtues, I became your adherent.

C 2 O Lord wearing (dhara) golden (hued) (kanaka) garments (paTa)! Why (Ela) this pretence (kapaTamu) (literally hypocricy) (kapaTamEla) to look (kana) at me (nannu)? Without seeing (kanaka) You (tanu), I shall indeed (kAni) decidedly (pUni) keep (sEtu) reciting (paThanamu) (Your names till You show up); Having completely believed that you are the incomparable Ocean of virtues, I became your adherent.

C 3 O Lord (nAtha) of all (sakala) worlds (lOka)! Even in my dreams (kalalOna) only You are (nIvE) there; having heard (vini) about Your saving (kAcinadi) draupadi, looking (kani) at her humiliation (lOkuva), by giving (icci) (kanicci) sarees (kOkalu), I completely believed that you are the incomparable Ocean of virtues and I became your adherent.

C 4 O Moon (rAja) born in the ocean (kalaSAbdhi) (literally Ocean of Milk) of Royal (rAja) lineage (kula)! O the protector (pAla) of celestials (sura)! O protector (rakshaka) of gajEndra – the King (rAja) of elephants (gaja)! O Lord praised (vinuta) by this tyAgarAja! Having completely believed that you are the incomparable Ocean of virtues, I remain your adherent.

Notes:

C1 – janakajA mAtavai – 'You are patient like Earth' - I have followed the translation given in other books. This can be taken in two senses – (1) You are very patient; therefore forbear my faults (positive sense) and (2) You are too patient bordering on insensitivity because You do not take note of my pleadings (negative sense). The latter seems to be more appropriate in view of the wordings of anupallavi where SrI tyAgarAja states that the Lord is not protecting.

Additional Comments By SrI V Sadagopan :

In this Kriti set in Amara-rOsha-rOshOkti (anger-remonstrance-grievance), tyAgarAja SwamigaL questions the Lord tightly about his indifference and asks Him as to whom he should complain to about such behaviour. He says that he has heard so much about His coming to the rescue of Draupadi and protecting her honor in the sabhai of DuryOdhana and asks why the Lord ignores him totally now, although he has been praying to Him (the Lord) all his life. He implies: "If You can go to Draupadi’s help, can not you rush to my help as well?" Swamy is sarcastic and says that the Lord should not play any tricks on him, the devout bhaktan. He continues in a state of anger and accuses the Lord of not showing His grace and not lifting him out of his vale of sorrow. He recognizes the Lord as the son-in-Law of Janaka MahaarAjaa, the foster father of ayOnijai, SitA PirAtti, who Herself is considered as the amsam of BhUmi Devi known for Her incomparable patience. SwamigaL asks Lord Raamachandraa not to be unmoving (stationary) like His Mother-in-Law (Bhumi Devi) and be filled with inertia that prevents Him from coming to his rescue. SwamigaL states that he has placed his entire faith in the Lord believing that He is to be trusted because He is the abode of all auspicious attributes (ananta KalYANa guNams). SwamigaL feels let down and asks the Lord as to why He displays duplicity, when it comes to him, while running after others to rescue them, when they get into trouble. "I have been steadfast in my prayers and in the conductance of my dailly AarAdhanam for You and yet You are elusive."

In a similar mood of grievance, SwamigaL took the liberty of asking the Lord in his HameerkalyANi krti: "Maanamu lEdhA? tanavADani abhimAnamu lEdhA?" (Have You no self-respect? Don’t You care for Your own people?). Hameer KalyANi rAgam lends itself to this type of Amarasha rOsha rOshOkti kritis. He uses this Raagam again in the kriti "nee dAsaanu dAsuDannani pErE yEmi phalamu?" (What good is it even if I am known by all as the servant of Your servants, when You ignore me?).

In another "grievance" kriti set in Sudha SaavEri rAgam (nee kEvari BhOdhana), SwamigaL will get very unhappy and accuse the Lord of listening to some one, who has instigated Him to stay away from him.

In the Arabhi kriti (chaala kallalaDukonna soukhyamEmiraa) made famous by MaharAjapuram ViswanAtha Iyer and his sishyar, Semmangudi SrinivAsa Iyer, the devout Raama Bhaktaa, SrI tyAga brahmam will ask the Lord: "Time will advance but spoken words will remain forever. You have spoken words of assurance and promised to be my rakshakan. What pleasure it is to You now to speak untruth to me and abandon me?

In a SankarAbharaNa kriti (Ye

dhuDa nilachitE) made famous by stalwarts like Chembai VaidhyanAtha BhAgavatar and Ariyakkudi RaamAnuja Iyengar, Swamy will be overcome by pathos about the Lord abandoning him and will ask: "If You appear before me, will You lose all Your wealth? Why do you display such indifference fully knowing that (1) I will not ask You of any boons and (2) I can not worship any one else. Do not be intractable and be obdurate in Your treatment of me!" The Raagam SankarAbharaNam like Raagam Hameer KalyANi has been a choice rAgam for SwamigaL for composing kritis in the sanchAri bhAvam of amarsha-rOsha-rOshOkti. Two examples of such SankarAbharaNa kritis are: (1) Ariyakkudi’s favorite "yendhuku pEddhala valE Buddhi yeeyavu?" and (2) "yEmi nEramu nannu BhrOva" made famous by Sri G.N.BaalasubramaNyam.

AUDIO:

http://www.ibiblio.org/sadagopan/tyagaraja_kritis_project/audio/11anupama.mp3

rAma dAsan

Oppiliappan Koil VaradAchAri Sadagopan

NOTE: Those who prefer to have a PDF or WORD document copy of this write-up can download either of the format from the following links:WORD doc:

http://www.ibiblio.org/sadagopan/tyagaraja_kritis_project/word_docs/kriti11_anupamagunambhudi.doc

PDF:

http://www.ibiblio.org/sadagopan/tyagaraja_kritis_project/pdf/kriti11_anupamagunambhudi.pdf

dAsan,

Oppiliappan Koil VaradAchAri Sadagopan

-- V.Sadagopanhttp://www.Sundarasimham.org http://www.sadagopan.orghttp://www.thiuppavai.org