IndiaDivine.org

sArasAram -- II (36)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

NOTE: Readers having difficulty in reading the text may need to change their encoding to UTF-8. ------------ ------

SrI:

SrI sAra sAram

--

II – DvayAdhikAram (36)

--

The components of prapatti in the first part of dvaya mantram - 7

---

SwAmi DeSikan now speaks about the attitude one should have while performing the prapatti:-

“athuvumavanathinnaruLEâ€, “ARenakku nin pAdamE caraNAkath thanthozinthAi†ityAdi-kaLiRpaDiyE prapattiyum avanaDiyAka vanthathenRu anusandhEya-m.

SwAmi DeSikan says that a prapanna should keep in his mind that he is able to perform prapatti only due to the Lord’s grace. He refers to two statements of SrI NammAzhvAr from his TiruvAimozhi, “athuvumavanathinnaruLEâ€, “ARenakku nin pAdamE caraNAkath thanthozinthAiâ€.

Before studying the two quotes, we may recall an important practice followed by us, SrIvaishnavites, namely sAtvika-tyAga, while doing any duty. A person, who has developed wisdom due to the grace of an AchArya, will have no selfish attachment to the fruits of his actions. He will not think that he is doing the work on his own. This attitude is all the more necessary for a person seeking mOksha. Even while he performs prapatti, he should keep in mind that he does so only due to the Lord’s grace and that the fruit also belongs to Him. This is what SrI

NammAzhvAr says in the quotation above. Let us see his verse in full:-

“uNarvil umparoruvanai avanatharuLaal uRaRporuTTu, en

uNarvinuLLE iruththinEn, athuvum avanathu innaruLE

uNarvum uyirum udambum maRRu ulappinavum pazhuthEyAm

uNarvaip peRavUrnthiRavERi yAnum thAnAyozhinthAnE.†(ThiruvAimozhi, 8-8-3)

Meaning:- In order to attain the Lord of Nitya-sUris, I fixed Him as the goal of my inner knowledge. Even this desire rose in my mind only due to His loving grace. He led me gradually to realize that seeking material objects, the life-breath, the physical body and other objects are useless. He did not stop with these, but took me further to realize my Atma and then to realize that He is all; also that the term “I†only indicates Himself and that He is the ultimate one being in all and the ultimate end.

SwAmi DeSikan has quoted this to emphasize that one performs prapatti only because of His grace and not by one’s own effort.

Now, let us take up the second quotation, which too is from ThiruvAimozhi:

“ARenakku nin pAdamE SaraNaakath thanthozhinthAi unakku Or kaim

mARu nAnonRilEn enathAviyum unathE

cERukoL karumbum perunmcennelum malithaNsirIvaramangai

nARupoonthaN-thuzhAi muDiyAi dEivanAyakanE.†(ThiruvAimozhi, 5-7-10)

Meaning:- O deiva-nAyaka, the Lord Who adorns the garland of fragrant Tulasi, Who is stationed at the cool city of SirIvaramangai (VaanamAmalai) rich with the fields of sugar-cane and rice! You have yourself given Your feet as the fruit of my attainment and as the means for attaining it. For this mighty help, I do not have anything to give You in return, as even my Atma too is Yours.

SwAmi DeSikan concludes thus:- “ityAdi-kaLiRpaDiyE prapattiyum avanaDiyAka vanthathenRu anusandhEya-m.â€

In keeping with these and other pramANas, it should be borne in mind that the performance of prapatti too is due to Him.

(To continue)

dAsan

anbil S.SrInivAsan

---------------------------

From cricket scores to your friends. Try the India Homepage!