IndiaDivine.org

Picture of MakarakaNDi for Swami Desikan at ThUppulyennappan@...; Makara Kandi Kaimakryam : Part III

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear BhakthAs of Swamy Desikan :

Today , we will study the 6th to 10th paayirams (Verses) of Sri Desika NooRRandhAthi by Sri Mannappa IyengAr aliasTheerttha PiLLai . Please enjoy the Vaibhavam of Swamy Desikan as celebrated by Sri Mannappa Iyengar :

Paayiram # 6

Aayntha puhazh mangayarkOn ambutthAL iNaiyil

sAyntha manattinarAit-tamm adiyArkku -eeyntha

perum guNatthAr yemmaip- peruhum aruLAl

virumbhuvar VedAnthaguru

(Meaning): Swamy Desikan has deep bhakti for the Lord of Mahaa Lakshmi and Thirumangai AzhwAr and is always engaged in meditation about them . NainAcchArya , the son of Swamy Desikan refers to the deep bhakti of Swamy Desikan for Thirumangai AzhwAr in the Vaazhi ThirunAmam : " Kaliyan urai kudi koNDa karutthu udayOn VaazhiyE " . Swamy Desikan blessed us all thru his compassion for us and created hundred plus grantams on AchAra anushtAnams , Prapatthi , TattvArthams and guided us towards sadhgati . His limitless dayaa for us is like a cooling rain of affection for us scorched by the heat of SamsAram . He has thus Perum GuNam ( lofty attributes).He had such an abundant affection for us and displayed the special compassion that a Mother has for a dull-witted child of hers. Just as Swamy NammAzhwAr described his receiving the limitless anugraham of BhagavAn inspite of His total unfitness to receive the Lord's dayaa ( NeeSanEn niRaivu onRum ilEn , yenn KaNN paasam vaittha Paramsudar chOtikkE--ThiruvAimozhi: 3.3.4) , Mannappa IyengAr reminds himself of his own unfitness and Swamy Desikan's apAra KaruNai towards him .

Paayiram # 7

GurumAmaNiyE kulavuvarai mArbhan

ThirumAmahaL KaNavan Tannai-taruvanAi

ninRAlum yenn VaakkE neeL soLait-thUppul varum

kunRA gaNatthanayE kooRu

(Meaning ):Oh My Tongue ! Please speak always about the auspicious guNams of Swamy Desikan , who incarnated as the Lord's temple bell at ThUppul full of verdant groves. Mannappa IyengAr says here that he is not interested even if the Lord of Lakshmi stood before him and offered Himself to him and he directs his tongue to praise the glorious guNams of Swamy Desikan instead. The pasaages reminding us of the upadEsams of AzhwArs and AchAryaas to their tongues to dedicate themselves to praise the Lord alone are:

1) Naaku Ninnai allAl aRiyAthu-- PeriyAzhwAr Thirumozhi 5.1.1 ( Oh Lord ! My tongue does not know of anything else except to eulogize You).

(2) Yenn Naavil inn kavi yaann oruvarkkum kodukkilEn , Yenn Appan EmperumAn uLan Aahave -- Swamy NammAzhwAr : ThiruvAimozhi 3.9.1 ( I will not use my tongue to praise any one , since my Lord is the exclusive object of such adorations ).

(3) NaavinAl naviRRu inbham yeytinEn--Madhura kavi : KaNNInuNN SiRuthAmpu--2 ( I attained great bliss by using my tongue to praise You ( referring to Swamy NammAzhwAr ).

Mannappa Iyengar feels the same way , when it comes to use of his tongue to celebrate Swamy Desikan alone.

His total deterination to stay focused on Swamy Desikan alone even when the Lord appears before him and offers him all kinds of boons reminds us of AmudhanAr's total absorption with his Acharyan , Sri RaamAnuja:

" Thiruvarangar kaittalatthu Aazhiyum Sankhamaum yEnthi namm kaNN muhappE moytthu alaitthu unnai vidEn yenRu irukkilum , ninn puhazhE moytthu alaikkum vanthu IrAmAnusa yennai muRRum ninRE "-- RaamAnuja NooRRandhAti : 75. AmudhanAr states here that he will not be distracted even by the appearnace of the Lord of Srirangam before him and tempting him with all kinds of boons and that he will still stay focussed on AchArya Raamaanuja's auspicious attributes . Mannappa Iyengar feels the same way towards Swami Desikan .

Paayiram # 8

kooRAthu naavERu koNDu piRavaRRai nenjam

tERAthu senni vaNangAthu--sERu aarum

neeL vayal soozh ThUppul nahar ninmalanAr tEsu udaya

taaL allathu thozhaa thOLL

(Meaning): Mannappa Iyengar reminds us of the total involvement of all his limbs in sevai for Swamy Desikan.

He says: My arms will not offer worship to anything other than lustrous feet of Swamy Desikan incarnated in the village of ThUppul with verdant groves and fields. My tongue will not engage in praise of anything other than the glories and fame of Swamy Desikan . My mind will always be meditating on Him . It wont think of anything else. My head will not bow before anyone other than Swamy Desikan. He is everything to me.

My dearest friend , Sri V.N.Gopaladesikan reminds us of many statements of AzhwArs , where they declare their total focus on the Lord and declare the inability of their limbs to offer worship to anyone else other than the Lord . Poykai AzhwAr in his 11th paasuram of Mudhal ThiruvandhAti observes :

" Vaay Avanai allathu VazhtAthu, Kai ulaham

Taayavanai allathu taamm thozhaa ---" ( My tongue will not praise anyone except the Lord; My hands will not worship anyone except Him ). AmudhanAr observes in a similar manner that his mind will not think of anyone except AchArya RaamAnujaa and his speech will not cover any one other than AchArya RaamAnujaa after attaining Him as His rakshakar. Mannappa Iyengar expresses his bhakti for Swamy Desikan along the lines of the AzhwArs and PoorvAchAryaas.

Paayiram # 9

thOLL Ayiramum tuNitthu anRu VaaNan tann

maaLAtha selvatthai mARRinAn--thALL yenRum

taann vaNangi yaan vaNangat-tannai aLitthu aruLum

Vaann aruLAl ThUppul VaLLal

(Meaning): Here Manappa IyengAr points out that Swamy Desikan will be engaged in worshipping the sacred feet of KaNNan , who cut off the thousand shoulders of BaaNan in the battle field , whereas he will be engaged in offering his worship to the sacred feet of Swamy Desikan . Mannappa IyengAr states further that the most generous Swamy Desikan , who blessed us with many SrI Sookthis for gaining sathgathi , blessed him and protected with compassion as well to attain sathgathi . Here , Sriman V.N.Gopala Desikan reminds us of the UpadEsam of Swamy Desikan in the Sishya KrutyAdhikAram of Srimath Rahasya Traya Saaram , where he points out that there is no other god greater than one's AchAryan ( AchAryAth iha DevathAm samadhikAm anyAm na manyAmahE ).

Paayiram # 10

VaLLal MaNivaNNan Maayan bhavakkadalin

aLLal azhunthum yemai Aadharitthu --kaLLa Manam

theertthu tann sEvadiyai chintikkac-cheyvataRkkE

pArtthu udhittAn ThUppul Paran

(Meaning): Here Mannappa Iyengar states that the Most Merciful Blue gem , the Lord , thought deeply and incarnated as Swamy Desikan . Why So asks the poet ? He answers that the Lord's intention was to lift us up from the samsAric mud in which we are stuck , rescue us and to encourage us to perform SaraNAgathy thereafter at His sacred feet to reach His supreme abode and enjoy ParipoorNa Bramaanandham there .

Sriman V.N.Gopala Desikan quotes two relevant passages in this context :

sAkshAth NaarAyaNO Deva: kruthvA martya mayeem tanum

magnAn uttaratE lOkAn KaaruNyAth Saastra PaaNinA -- Jayaakhya Samhitaa

( Lord NaarAyaNan Himself incarnates as a human being to lift us stuck in the mud of samsAram and out of His infinite compassion uses His hand of Saastram and takes us to the other shore of SamsAram ).

Yasya asou bhajatE kadhAchith ajahath bhUmA svayam bhUmikAm

magnAnAm bhavinAm bhavarNava samuttarAya NaarAyaNa:

-- Sishya KruthyAdhikAram , Srimath Rahasya Traya Saaram

( Sriman NaarAyaNan takes on the form of an AchAryan to lift up the suffering people stuck in the deep mud of samsAram).

AdiyEn appeals to You all to take part in this rare Kaimkaryam to express our gratefulness to the ParamAchAryan , Swamy Desikan for all the noble SrI Sookthis that He has bequeathed to us.

The AabharaNam is two thirds completed and we need your most welcome help to complete the rest of the one third work and get the AabharaNam ready for presentation to ThUppul Kula MaNi , Kavi Taarkika Simham , Sri VedAntha Desikan . Please support this Kaimkaryam and send your Tax free SamarpaNams to :

Nama Inc;

C/O Mrs. Nagu Satyan

7821 W.Alder Drive

Littleton , CO 80128-5522

Those in India can send your Tax Free SamarpaNams to :

Sri Krishnadhri Charities

C/O SrI V.N.Venkatanathan

25 Nachiappan St,

Mahalingapuram

Chennai 600 034

Your SamarpaNams will be acknowledged right away . Please copy adiyEn on Your samarpaNams to keep track of the progress towards Completion of the fund assembly for the Kaimkaryam

Swamy Desikan ThiruvadigaLE SaraNam ,

DhAsan , Oppiliappan Koil VaradAchari Sadagopan

1 of 1 Photo(s)