IndiaDivine.org

Thiruvaimozi-1.4.7

Rate this topic

Guest guest

enbu izai kOppadhu pOla panivaadai eerginRa

en pizaiyE ninaindharuLi aruLaadha thirumaalaarkku

en pizaitthaaL thiruvadiyin thagavukkenRoru vaai sol

enpizaikkum iLam kiLiyE yaan vaLarttha nee alaiye

The cold wind is entering my bones like a thread entered by a needle. You young parrot brought up by me, what will be wrong if you go and tell one word to the Lord, who is not showing mercy on me thinking about my faults only, that, what wrong did she do to deserve this treatment?

panivaadai- the cold wind.

eerginra- entering and tormenting me

enbu izai kOppadhupol- as though a thread is being pierced into my bones.

En pizaiye ninaindhu- thinking only about my faults

aruLi araLaadha- and not showing grace by fulfilling my wish.

Thirumaalaarkku, to the Lord of Lakshmi

enpizaitthaaL –what wrong did she do

thiruvadiyin thagavinukku- not to deserve to resort to your feet

enru oru vaisol – thus saying one word in my favour

en pizaikkum – what is wrong in your doing so? This is also split as enbu izaikkum, the parrot with its red beak and green body reminds her of the Lord and torments her like chiseling her bones.

iLam kiLiyE- young parrot

yaan vaLrttha nee alaiyE- being brought up by me you have also become alien to me.

The nayaki here, has lost weight due to sorrow of separation from the Lord and hence in her body there is nothing but bones and the northerly wind enters into them like thread as though pierced by a needle. The Lord is not showing pity on her and she thinks that it is because He is thinking only of her faults. She asks the parrot to go and ask Him what was her fault which makes her unworthy of His grace. He is Thirumaal, the consort of Thiru, Lakshmi. Hence how can He ignore her when the divine mother is by His side, who is all mercy towards her children. Desika says in his dhaySathakam, the Dhayadevi is able to swallow all faults of the devotees and make them blemishless. The divine mother as Seetha told Hanuman who wanted to destroy the rakshasis who harassed her, kaaryam karuNam aaryeNa na kaschith na aaradhyathi, a noble man should show mercy to all because who does not err. Azvar reminds the Lord that when the divine mother is by His side how could He not show mercy?

"How can I be not worthy of His mercy when I have surrendered to His feet," asks Azvar as the nayaki, when He is known for His mercy even towards those who committed grievious sin such as Kakasura. It would be a blemish on His name as Thyagaraja said, naapaapamu naathonundE, sreepa neebhirudhukEmi praThuku. "If my sins stay with me even after I have surrendered to You, what will happen to your fame as the one who never forsakes His devotees?" He had said `sakrdheva prapannaanaaya thavaasmi ithi cha yaachathe abhayam sarvabhoothebhyo dhadhaami ethath varam mama.' That is, Rama said on hearing that Vibheeshana approached him for refuge, ` If one surrenders to me even once, saying , "I am yours," my vow is to give refuge to all beings.' Hence the nayaki says That when she has surrendered to His feet how could He refuse her.