IndiaDivine.org

Bhagavat Gita a detailed study-chapter4The truth about action

Rate this topic

Guest guest

9. janma karma cha me dhivyam evam yo vetThi thattvatahH

thyakthvaa dheham punarjanma na ethi maam ethi paandava

The one who knows my divine birth and my actions as it is truly, does not get rebirth when he leaves his body but reaches Me only, Arjuna.

10. veetharaagabhayakroDhaah manmayaa maam

upaaSrithaaH

bahavo jnaanathapasaa poothaah madhbhaavam aaSrithaaH

Many have attained my state , purified by the austerity of knowledge, freed from desire, fear and anger, being engrossed in Me and resorting to Me.

To understand the true nature of the Supreme Self, `janma karma cha me dhivyam' is the right knowledge and one who acquires this transcends the cycle of birth and death, thyakthvaa dheham punarjanma nethi maamethi,' and attains the mukthi. This is the path of emancipation which existed from time immemorial and many have attained it by jnanathapas, the austerity of knowledge, which consists of getting rid of desire, fear and anger, veethraagabhayakrodhaah, through utter dependence on the Lord, perceiving Him in everything `manmayaa maamupaasrithaah.' Thus they attain the status of the Lord, which signifies the state of salvation, Mukthi.

Understanding the truth of the birth, which is only manifestation and actions, which are not comprehensible by all, is possible only through contemplation on the Lord and His incarnations which results in the perception of the Lord Himself. Such a yogi transcends the cycle of transmigration and reaches the ultimate.

The sloka 10 outlines all the three paths to salvation, namely, karmayoga, bhakthiyoga and jnanayoga.

VeetharaagabhayakroDha, freedom from desire, fear and anger implies karmayoga, Desire for the result of action creates fear in the form of anxiety and failure to get the result provokes anger. When the same action is done as karmayoga without expectation of result, the desire , fear and anger are eradicated. Manmyaa maamupaSrithaaH indicates bhakthiyoga.. When the mind is engrossed in the Lord all other desires are automatically removed and the only desire is the union with the Lord. The devotee performs all actions as a service and as an offering to the Lord. As a result of bhakthi they become purified by the knowledge of the real nature of the Lord and comprehend His manifestations and His actions fully. Thus they cross over the samsara and attains the Lord, never to enter into embodiment again.