IndiaDivine.org

thiruvaimozi-1-4-8and9

Rate this topic

Guest guest

nee alaiyE siru poovaai nedumaalarkku en thoodhaai

nOyenadhu nuvalenna nuvalaadhe irundhozhindhaai

saayalodu maNimaamai thaLarndhEn naan ini unadhu

vaayal agilin adisil vaippaarai naadaayE

The nayaki talks to the small bird called sarika or naagaNavaaippuL. She says that the bird in spite of her telling it to go and relate to the Lord her illness due to separation still staying there and not going. She tells the bird to go and look elsewhere for its food as she is not fit enough to feed it as before.

neealaiyE- "Is this really you?" She asks, because being fed by her everyday the bird does not seem to have any feeling for her and desists from going to the Lord as her messenger.

nedu maalaar- The Lord is Thrivikrama, `Ongi ulagalandha utthman.' Also the word maal means love in Tamil. So He loves His devotees. nedu maaal means That His love is from time immemorial.

thoodhaai-as a messenger

nOy enadhu nuvalenna- when I told you to tell Him about my illness due to separation.

nuvalaadhE irundhozhindhaai- you stay on without going.

Saayalodu maNimaamai thaLarndhEn- I have lost my lustre and also beauty because of my sorrow and am not able to move even.

naadaayE- you better find some one else who will

vaayalagil in adisil vaippaarai- who will come and put food in your mouth, as I am unable to do so.

There is an allusion here to Peria Thirumalai Nambi who was very ill in his last days and he seemed to have recited this pasuram to the Lord telling Him that he was not able to offer food for Him as naivedhyam.

naadaadha malar naadi naadoRum naarananthan

vaadaadha malaradikkeezh vaikkavE vagukkinRu

veedaadi veetRirutthal vinai atRadhu en seivadhO

vaadaadu panivaadaai uNarndhu eraai enadhudE

This limbs of mine are created for seeking the exquisite flowers and offer them to the lotus like feet of Lord Narayana and remain there serving Him for ever. But why is this misfortune of not being to do so a nd what will be the end of this life? Oh northerly wind, you ask Him this and then come and break my limbs by your cold breeze.

naadaadha malar- the flowers rare and the best which are not normally sought by all. This , means the offering of aathma pushpa, offering of the self and the eight qualities which are likened to flowers to be offered to the Lord, namely, ahimsaa, non violence, indhriya nigraha, control of the senses, sarvabhoohadhaya, kindness to all beings, kshamaa, patience, jnanam, wisdom, thapaH , austerity and Dhyaanam, contemplation, as these are said to be the flowers that please the Lord.

naadoRum- everyday, for ever

naarananthan vaadaadha malaradikkeezh vaikkavE vagukkinRu- this body with the instruments of cognition, mind and intellect are meant for the service of the Lotus feet of The Lord only.

Veedu aadi veettritthal vinai atRadhu en seivadhO- being separated, veedu aadiveetRirutthal, why this misfortune, vinai atRadhu en seivadhO.

Uraithu- after informing Him about this,

Enadhu udal eeraai- then you come and break my limbs with your cold wind.

At the outset the nayaki said that the cold wind is tormenting her by entering into the bones. She refers to that again.