IndiaDivine.org

om

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear Yogi Harinam Baba Prem Tom Beal,

Namastey and thank you very much for your reply. Please answer a few questions arising out of your reply.

Your first sentence holds more than one idea and i am confused. Why is it desirable for westerners to be ungrounded and if it is desirable then when you say it is potentilly ungrounding why should that be a problem.

i understand the bit about the vedas and the use of om as the beginning or end of a manthra, but what kind of steps would be taken to counter the effects of ungrounding by the repeated chanting of om on an individual - i am assuming you mean according to their vata/pitta/kapha make up?

Many thanks once again for your reply.

With the best of good wishes,

in yoga,

sangeetuniversalyoga <Universalyoga wrote:

I am not sure what should be said, Om by its etheric nature is naturallyungrounding while this is desirable often amongst westerners, it canpotentially become ungrounding to a person, after all the goal ofeastern spirituality is not just becoming ungrounded. For people of avata dosha (constitution), the nature of OM is increasing to ether andair elements, and can contribute to Vata disorders for some individuals.In the Vedic system Om was usually used by Brahmins and other pranavasounds for other groups. And they did not usually sit around andrepeatedly chant OM, but rather used it as a opening and at times aclosing of a mantra. If they did just repeat OM then there would besteps taken to counter the unbalancing effects if this was a necessaryconsideration with an individual.Respectfully,Yogi Harinam

Baba Prem Tom BealFounder/DirectorUniversal YogaPhone 407.521.5047e-mail universalyoga http://www.floridavedicinstitute.com<http://www.floridavedicinstitute.com/> Sangeet Bird [sbird39] Wednesday, February 02, 2005 4:20 AM Subject: RE: Mantras and healingPlease would you expand on this? thank you. Sangeetuniversalyoga <Universalyoga wrote: It is important to remember that Om can be ungrounding for some andaggravating to Vata as well. Respectfully,Yogi Harinam Baba Prem Tom BealFounder/DirectorUniversal YogaPhone 407.521.5047e-mail universalyoga http://www.floridavedicinstitute.com<http://www.floridavedicinstitute.com/> "Health and Happiness are your birthright, claim them through Rishiculture Ashtanga Yoga" -Yogamaharishi Dr Swami Gitananda Giri

ALL-NEW Messenger - all new features - even more fun!

Revered Sangeet,

I don't understand how that kind of explanation made you understand about general western attitude to yoga and what kind of great deal of sense did it make?To that sentence - especially Americans I would like to ask which Americans?Chinese,Japanese,Korean,Filipinos,Indian,Czech,German,French,Russian,African etc..or native Americans?To get possibly "ungrounded" by chanting Pranava AUM (if it ever happen)you need to do that several thousand times a day for many years and I don't think any westerner and especially Americans have time,mood or attitude to do so.What we need to hear is about particular case how somebody got "ungrounded" by chanting AUM,be it westerner or Indian (it can happen also to Indians),how many times a day that particular person chanted Pranava AUM, for how long and what consequences did it have and in what dosha the person was build.Explanation you got was very general and we need particular.

On the other hand I do agree that Pranava AUM Pranayama is one of the greatest.And I do have the same experience with the author of the explanation particularly that it heals the lungs.

Twice a year I used to have a bad inflammation of the lungs and taking antibiotics.Since doing Pranava AUM Pranayama for six years now I never ever had even once any inflammation and any other lungs problem.I do strongly recommend that and thanks to Dr.Swami Gitananda for introducing us to this kind of pranayama.

Best wishes to all.

Sangeet Bird <sbird39 wrote:

Thank you very much for your reply. It helps me understand the general western attitude to yoga much better and makes a great deal of sense.

With best regards

sangeet

ALL-NEW Messenger - all new features - even more fun! "Health and Happiness are your birthright, claim them through Rishiculture Ashtanga Yoga" -Yogamaharishi Dr Swami Gitananda Giri

The all-new My – What will yours do?

Namaskar Milos Ji,

Whoops what a hornets nest i've stirred up with my reply!

I'm Indian, live in the uk and hear a great deal of strange stuff about india, indians and yoga in general so am not speaking about all the americans you enlist. Sometimes i struggle to understand their mindset. Anything to help me understand them is helpful.

Nevertheless everything said so far has made me think deeper about Om and that can be no bad thing.

Thank you all.

Sangeet

Dear Sangeed Ji,

I do apologize if my reply to you looked just like you said.It was not intended that way.It was just a part of a discussion and I felt I had to say something because it seemed to me that you had misunderstood a "desire for ungrounding of westerners" as their approach to Yoga.

It was not explained yet what exactly that "ungrounding" in connection with Yoga really means.It is true that westerners are looking for psychic experiences or to "get high" and don't hesitate to take drugs to achieve it.But I don't think the majority of them approach the Yoga for the same purpose.The problem is a lot of them don't know what yoga really is and they substitute fakirs for yogis.But I believe if properly educated they would also look for spirituality in Yoga the same way Indians do.

Warm regards,

Milos

Namaskar Milos Ji,

I'm Indian, live in the uk and hear a great deal of strange stuff about india, indians and yoga in general so am not speaking about all the americans you enlist. Sometimes i struggle to understand their mindset. Anything to help me understand them is helpful.

Nevertheless everything said so far has made me think deeper about Om and that can be no bad thing.

Thank you all.

Sangeet

ALL-NEW Messenger - all new features - even more fun! "Health and Happiness are your birthright, claim them through Rishiculture Ashtanga Yoga" -Yogamaharishi Dr Swami Gitananda Giri

The all-new My – What will yours do?

I would like add something here and just say I have enjoying this discussion. One thing that I know is that when we deisre to have a universal understanding about anything we must first define our terms. only because different people have different meanings attached to them and react differently when the terms are used.

so...

lets first define what is meant my ungrounding. and then go from there.

anyone wants to handle that.

Doc D

universalyoga [universalyoga]Tuesday, February 08, 2005 3:14 PM Subject: RE: Om

Actually I believe it was I that made the statement you seem to have conflict with rather than Sangeet. It is based on my personal experience of teaching over 18 years of kundalini yoga and mediation. My personal experience of teaching westerners has repeatedly illustrated ungrounding effects of several mantras without thousands of daily repetitions. Additionally, my comments based on common Ayurvedic teachings, that an second year student of Ayurveda would be taught. These views are supported by western teachers such Dr Vasant Lad BAMS, Dr David Frawley, Deepak Chopra and others. My explanation was intended to be general but the Ayurvedic principle illustrates the point. But I have no interest in trying to write a lengthily explanation, but if you research my claim you will find it to be fact. I am glad that you found healing attributes with using AUM, but no one denied any healing attributes. Merely an Ayurvedic consideration is presented, and since Ayurveda is an upaveda, and as a upaveda it is considered authoritative within Hinduism.

Respectfully,Yogi Harinam Baba Prem Tom BealFounder/DirectorUniversal YogaPhone 407.521.5047e-mail universalyogahttp://www.floridavedicinstitute.com

Milos Buchacek [yogaveda_mb] Monday, February 07, 2005 8:32 AM Subject: RE: Om

Revered Sangeet,

I don't understand how that kind of explanation made you understand about general western attitude to yoga and what kind of great deal of sense did it make?To that sentence - especially Americans I would like to ask which Americans?Chinese,Japanese,Korean,Filipinos,Indian,Czech,German,French,Russian,African etc..or native Americans?To get possibly "ungrounded" by chanting Pranava AUM (if it ever happen)you need to do that several thousand times a day for many years and I don't think any westerner and especially Americans have time,mood or attitude to do so.What we need to hear is about particular case how somebody got "ungrounded" by chanting AUM,be it westerner or Indian (it can happen also to Indians),how many times a day that particular person chanted Pranava AUM, for how long and what consequences did it have and in what dosha the person was build.Explanation you got was very general and we need particular.

On the other hand I do agree that Pranava AUM Pranayama is one of the greatest.And I do have the same experience with the author of the explanation particularly that it heals the lungs.

Twice a year I used to have a bad inflammation of the lungs and taking antibiotics.Since doing Pranava AUM Pranayama for six years now I never ever had even once any inflammation and any other lungs problem.I do strongly recommend that and thanks to Dr.Swami Gitananda for introducing us to this kind of pranayama.

Best wishes to all.

Thank you very much for your reply. It helps me understand the general western attitude to yoga much better and makes a great deal of sense.

With best regards

sangeet

The all-new My – What will yours do? "Health and Happiness are your birthright, claim them through Rishiculture Ashtanga Yoga" -Yogamaharishi Dr Swami Gitananda Giri "Health and Happiness are your birthright, claim them through Rishiculture Ashtanga Yoga" -Yogamaharishi Dr Swami Gitananda Giri

Thanks, Milos. No offence taken.

With the best of good wishes

SangeetMilos Buchacek <yogaveda_mb wrote:

Dear Sangeed Ji,

I do apologize if my reply to you looked just like you said.It was not intended that way.It was just a part of a discussion and I felt I had to say something because it seemed to me that you had misunderstood a "desire for ungrounding of westerners" as their approach to Yoga.

It was not explained yet what exactly that "ungrounding" in connection with Yoga really means.It is true that westerners are looking for psychic experiences or to "get high" and don't hesitate to take drugs to achieve it.But I don't think the majority of them approach the Yoga for the same purpose.The problem is a lot of them don't know what yoga really is and they substitute fakirs for yogis.But I believe if properly educated they would also look for spirituality in Yoga the same way Indians do.

Warm regards,

Milos

Namaskar Milos Ji,

Thank you all.

Sangeet

The all-new My – What will yours do? "Health and Happiness are your birthright, claim them through Rishiculture Ashtanga Yoga" -Yogamaharishi Dr Swami Gitananda Giri

• 3 weeks later...

DEAR FREIND

FAQIR IS ALSO YOGI

YOGA HAS MUCH DEEPER MEANING, YOGI IS A PERSON WHO IS ABOVE DESIRES AND SECONDLY NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE FOR A YOGI , HE BECOMES ONE WITH GOD

VIJAY TIWARI Milos Buchacek <yogaveda_mb wrote:

Dear Sangeed Ji,

Warm regards,

Milos

Namaskar Milos Ji,

Thank you all.

Sangeet

The all-new My – What will yours do? "Health and Happiness are your birthright, claim them through Rishiculture Ashtanga Yoga" -Yogamaharishi Dr Swami Gitananda Giri

India Matrimony: Find your life partner

online.

hello everyone,

I just can't anymore - what is this?!

East fights West or what??!

and I haven't even been following it that closely.

All of these things happen on both sides of the globes - negative,

and possibly, hopefully, positive too...

No doubt some in the East look for cheap thrills too, as many do in the West,

undoubtfully for drugs too - in fact, where do most of them come from?!

Or are you telling me that the East is drug free...??

and there are famous "yogis" displaying siddhis right in India,

that's a fact.

Of course ungrounding can be found in the East too.

I well remember Swamiji referring to Yoga in India too.

Perhaps it might be said that with the advantage of heritage, things should be different.

But this is not a perfect world...

As far as I am concerned this is all beside the point,

let's try to get on with - or back to - our Saddhana.

What environment are we creating with this discussion??

A little healthy living might be a help!

love in Yoga,

Janaki

-

Milos Buchacek

Friday, February 25, 2005 1:10 PM

RE: Om

I of course mean those fakirs who perform on stages for money - they are not without desires.It has been said a yogi should never show any siddhis he might acquire on public.If Yoga is mainly a way of life as Dr.Swami Gitananda said then these fakirs should never be considered yogis.And if they are considered yogis then there is a little surprise why Western Civilization looks in Yoga for Siddhis,robust health etc....yoga is not about any of these things.

Milos vijay tiwari <vijaytiwariji wrote:

DEAR FREIND

FAQIR IS ALSO YOGI

YOGA HAS MUCH DEEPER MEANING, YOGI IS A PERSON WHO IS ABOVE DESIRES AND SECONDLY NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE FOR A YOGI , HE BECOMES ONE WITH GOD

Dear Sangeed Ji,

Warm regards,

Milos

Namaskar Milos Ji,

Thank you all.

Sangeet

India Matrimony: Find your life partner online. "Health and Happiness are your birthright, claim them through Rishiculture Ashtanga Yoga" -Yogamaharishi Dr Swami Gitananda Giri

Read only the mail you want - Mail SpamGuard. "Health and Happiness are your birthright, claim them through Rishiculture Ashtanga Yoga" -Yogamaharishi Dr Swami Gitananda Giri

Dear Milos,

Yoga means Unity; that what is inseparably united is 'the Whole',

not the whole-less: the fakirs who do it for money,

the ones who have the money,

the ones who don't prove what they say they believe in,

the ones who practice Yoga and are not Hindus,

the ones who believe that Yoga and Sports relate to each other...

maybe that's the problem, Yoga is not about the other 'ones', but about 'everyone'

Otherwise, what's the Whole without one part...?

Antonio.

-

Milos Buchacek

Friday, February 25, 2005 8:10 AM

RE: Om

I of course mean those fakirs who perform on stages for money - they are not without desires.It has been said a yogi should never show any siddhis he might acquire on public.If Yoga is mainly a way of life as Dr.Swami Gitananda said then these fakirs should never be considered yogis.And if they are considered yogis then there is a little surprise why Western Civilization looks in Yoga for Siddhis,robust health etc...yoga is not about any of these things.

Milos vijay tiwari <vijaytiwariji wrote:

DEAR FREIND

FAQIR IS ALSO YOGI

Dear Sangeed Ji,

Warm regards,

Milos

Namaskar Milos Ji,

Thank you all.

Sangeet

India Matrimony: Find your life partner online. "Health and Happiness are your birthright, claim them through Rishiculture Ashtanga Yoga" -Yogamaharishi Dr Swami Gitananda Giri

Read only the mail you want - Mail SpamGuard. "Health and Happiness are your birthright, claim them through Rishiculture Ashtanga Yoga" -Yogamaharishi Dr Swami Gitananda Giri

I too have

been reading these emails, but I’m likely missing the point.

I arrived

at Ananda Ashram in early January 1971. My story of arriving there was as

unlikely as perhaps many of you who studied under Swamagi before and after.

One memory

- a ceremony at the Ashram. We were to carry on a continuous and

overlapping chant of AUM for the entire night at the memorial honouring his

Guru. Each of us would be wakened at an appointed time to take over from one

of the two in place. At some point in the early hours of the morning,

someone faltered and the chain was broken when only one voice had to pause for

breath.

The Swami taught

us lessons of respect and duty that day; we were confined to the Ashram premises

and missed the wonderful festival in the village, which had been in the

planning for weeks.

AUM

Doug

Angela Belchior

[mika-ang]

Friday, February 25, 2005

9:46 AM

Re: Om

hello everyone,

I just can't anymore - what is this?!

East fights West or what??!

and I haven't even been following it that closely.

All of these things happen on both sides of the globes -

negative,

and possibly, hopefully, positive too...

No doubt some in the East look for cheap thrills too, as

many do in the West,

undoubtfully for drugs too - in fact, where do most of them

come from?!

Or are you telling me that the East is drug free...??

and there are famous " yogis " displaying siddhis

right in India,

that's a fact.

Of course ungrounding can be found in the East too.

I well remember Swamiji referring to Yoga in India too.

Perhaps it might be said that with the advantage of

heritage, things should be different.

But this is not a perfect world...

As far as I am concerned this is all beside the point,

let's try to get on with - or back to - our Saddhana.

What environment are we creating with this discussion??

A little healthy living might be a help!

love in Yoga,

Janaki

-

Milos

Buchacek

Friday, February

25, 2005 1:10 PM

RE:

Om

I of course mean those fakirs who perform on stages for money - they

are not without desires.It has been said a yogi should never show any siddhis

he might acquire on public.If Yoga is mainly a way of life as Dr.Swami

Gitananda said then these fakirs should never be considered yogis.And if

they are considered yogis then there is a little surprise why Western

Civilization looks in Yoga for Siddhis,robust health etc....yoga is not about

any of these things.

Milos

vijay tiwari

<vijaytiwariji wrote:

DEAR FREIND

FAQIR IS ALSO YOGI

YOGA HAS MUCH DEEPER MEANING, YOGI IS A PERSON WHO IS ABOVE

DESIRES AND SECONDLY NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE FOR A YOGI , HE BECOMES

ONE WITH GOD

VIJAY TIWARI

Milos Buchacek

<yogaveda_mb wrote:

Dear Sangeed Ji,

I do apologize if my reply to you looked just like

you said.It was not intended that way.It was just a part of a discussion

and I felt I had to say something because it seemed to me that you had

misunderstood a " desire for ungrounding of westerners " as their

approach to Yoga.

It was not explained yet what exactly that " ungrounding " in

connection with Yoga really means.It is true that westerners are looking

for psychic experiences or to " get high " and don't hesitate

to take drugs to achieve it.But I don't think the majority of

them approach the Yoga for the same purpose.The problem is a lot of

them don't know what yoga really is and they substitute fakirs for yogis.But I

believe if properly educated they would also look for spirituality in Yoga the

same way Indians do.

Warm regards,

Milos

Sangeet Bird

<sbird39 wrote:

Namaskar Milos Ji,

I'm Indian, live in the uk

and hear a great deal of strange stuff about india, indians and yoga in general

so am not speaking about all the americans you enlist. Sometimes i struggle to

understand their mindset. Anything to help me understand them

is helpful.

Nevertheless everything said so far has made me think deeper about

Om and that can be no bad thing.

Thank you all.

Sangeet

ALL-NEW Messenger - all new

features - even more fun!

" Health

and Happiness are your birthright, claim them through Rishiculture Ashtanga

Yoga " -Yogamaharishi Dr Swami Gitananda Giri

The all-new My – What will

yours do?

" Health

India Matrimony: Find your life partner online.

" Health

Read only the mail you want -

Mail SpamGuard.

" Health

" Health

• 2 years later...

shivayanama,

i am practice by ky in few days, i got the heat in the hands only on evening

time its not control, the heat spread in the hand fingers, pls tell me abt the

reason......... i think any wrong of pratice or correct.

endrum anbudan

tha. kumara guru dasan.

Save all your chat conversations. Find them online.