IndiaDivine.org

Guidelines for Morning Sadhana

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Sat Nam,Thinking that many of you might be working at doing your morning sadhana, so I am sharing a short story and some information I hope you might find useful. In November 1997 Yogi Bhajan was visiting our ashram community in Millis, MA USA. During his visit I submitted to him some "sadhana guidelines" I'd been working on for around two years (several had come directly from him.) Regularly after my morning group sadhana experience (which at times was just me) I would sit down at my computer and reflect on what helped me have the most powerful experience that morning --- or not.  The next day I received the "guidelines" back from one of his staff and there was a "very good" at the bottom of the page that had been written by the Master. I shared them with MSS Shakti Parwha Kaur (who I knew was/is a sadhana "enthusiast," and seems to be regularly sharing through this venue.) She published them in her “Keeping up with Kundalini Yoga” newsletter in 1998 (pre email-pretty much,) that circulated around our 3HO family worldwide. This is my 35th year practicing Kundalini Yoga and I continue to learn from and cherish my morning sadhana experience. These "guidelines" which I'm sharing with you below, have become the basis of my offering classes/workshops all over for several years now, including in Level 1 teacher training. Please feel free to let me know if you have any thoughts, questions or suggestions around the topic, or the guidelines."Guidelines for a Perfect Morning Sadhana"  Get some form of vigorous aerobic exercise.  It assists in keeping the physical body tuned and the mind alert.   Drink lots of water - at least 6-8 tall glasses per day. It reduces stress buildup in the physical body and also helps keep the mind alert.   Do morning sadhana between 4-7 a.m. It is the most effective and powerful time. When possible do morning sadhana with others, as the power and effects of  “group” sadhana are exponential. (SSS Yogi Bhajan)   Get to bed at a reasonable hour, so you have a better chance of sitting up and being alert during meditation.   Ask (pray to) Guru Ram Das (4th Sikh Master and “Lord of miracles,”) or the universal forces you relate to, before you go to bed, to assist you in getting up in the “ambrosial” (4-7am) hours on time.   Eat light at night and as early as feasible. It’s more difficult to focus in meditation when the body has been and may still be digesting.   Endeavor to have moved your bowels sufficiently either the night before or upon arising, as it allows the mind greater capacity to focus.   Upon arising in the ambrosial hours, take a cold shower - then wrap yourself in a blanket. (SSS Yogi Bhajan) (Sufficiently warm your self somehow. I put on layers in colder weather.)    During the yoga set try to keep the mind focused inside, (using a mantra works well). During meditation endeavor to keep the mind merged with the meditation mantras. (“Hear them in your mind” SSS Yogi Bhajan 8/97.) This will lead you to experience your "Inner Vitality," (SSS Yogi Bhajan) where all your mental and emotional stress will be neutralized, leaving you refreshed, grateful, radiant, and ready for anything/anyone.   Understand that you’re trying to master your Self. The process will present a constant variety of challenges to your desire to develop consistency. Persevere and try to be consistent, as the process and the effects of regular yoga and meditation are cumulative.   Do your best to be serviceful and kind, throughout the day. God blesses and elevates those who serve others.   Try to avoid consuming any/excess amounts of refined sugars, hydrogenated oils, and caffeine whenever possible as they tax the physical bodys natural systems - making more sleep necessary. (Added after SSS Yogi Bhajan gave his approval.) Blessings to All,Jot Singh KhalsaIt's not the life that matters-It's the courage you bring to it.The Three Laws of ProsperityBe kind to everyoneNever speak ill of anyoneNever speak ill of yourselfYogi Bhajanwww.khalsakirpans.comwww.lifeknives.com