IndiaDivine.org

Ghee

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

To prepare ghee: heat 1 pound unsalted, organic butter on a medium fire for approximately 15 minutes. The butter will melt and start to boil. As it boils foam will rise to the surface, do not skim this off, it contains medicinal properties. Turn the fire to low, the butter will turn a golden yellow color and smell like popcorn. When a drop or two of water placed in the ghee makes a crackling sound, it is ready. Cool slightly and pour into a clean jar through cheese cloth. Ghee needs no refrigeration. The older the ghee, the more healing.

Blessings,

Guru RaviSee what's free at AOL.com.

Guest guest

Can you get much more specific with the " older " ? I have made and used ghee for

years but

I only make it when I run out but...if older is more " healing " then...40 days,

90 days, 1000

days...how much more healing?...does fresh ginger ghee keep? what about ghee

and

honey?

Kundalini-Yoga , gururavikaur wrote:

>

> To prepare ghee: heat 1 pound unsalted, organic butter on a medium fire for

> approximately 15 minutes. The butter will melt and start to boil. As it boils

> foam will rise to the surface, do not skim this off, it contains medicinal

> properties. Turn the fire to low, the butter will turn a golden yellow color

> and smell like popcorn. When a drop or two of water placed in the ghee makes

a

> crackling sound, it is ready. Cool slightly and pour into a clean jar through

> cheese cloth. Ghee needs no refrigeration. The older the ghee, the more

> healing.

> Blessings,

> Guru Ravi

>

>

>

> ************************************** See what's free at http://www.aol.com.

>

Guest guest

Sat Nam Guru Ravi,

You must have read my mind, I have some Ghee in the pantry that has been sitting for a long time. After reading your post, I was happy to see that it is still good. Thank you.

Blessings,

Samantha (Ardas Kaur)

Guest guest

Sat Nam. Gosh, your recipe for ghee is very interesting! I learned a different method. The way I was taught was to put the unsalted butter on a low flame, and when it boils, and the foam appears, you keep it on a low simmer, and keep skimming off the froth "to get rid of the impurities." Then the clear liquid is put into a container and will indeed keep for quite a long time. Like a few other things, there can be different sources of information, and different systems. One may be yogic, one may be ayurvedic, for instance. Think of all the various diets, fasts, and cleansing processes that are available! Some people swear by raw foods, whereas Indian meals are practically all cooked, using spices more for nutrients than for flavor. As for Ghee, which is clarified butter, food sources are different in different countries! The soil in India from which the food for cows is grown is different from the soil in the good old U.S. of A. I guess people will choose what makes sense to them. SP