Since the book Divine Alignment came out, I've been incorporating hip

and shoulder openers in the warm-ups of my KY classes. It's changed

alot me the students that come to the classes. For the most part it's

been a blessing, except for one shoulder opener that presents a

probelm for people. It's the hand clasp on pg. 74, if anyone is

familiar with it. Many students seem to have a locked up right

shoulder that creates this impossible situation of clasping the hands

behind the back. It actually creates irritation in the shoulder

joints when they do it and seems to be really uncomfortable for them.

Even with the use of belts, therabands etc... One student said, " It

seems like since we started that exercise my shoulder has been

irritated. " This person started with using a theraband at first then

because of the irritation does not want to use anything and now is

complaining of chronic pain. I think this exercise is actually

painful for a lot of people when their shoulders are locked up. Does

anyone out there know about what kind of block is going on in the

shoulder and if so - is there a different stretch that would be

better? Thanks for your help. Atma

Kundalini-Yoga , " atmakk " <atmak wrote:

>

> Since the book Divine Alignment came out, I've been incorporating

hip

> and shoulder openers in the warm-ups of my KY classes. It's changed

> alot me the students that come to the classes. For the most part

it's

> been a blessing, except for one shoulder opener that presents a

> probelm for people. It's the hand clasp on pg. 74, if anyone is

> familiar with it. Many students seem to have a locked up right

> shoulder that creates this impossible situation of clasping the

hands

> behind the back. It actually creates irritation in the shoulder

> joints when they do it and seems to be really uncomfortable for

them.

> Even with the use of belts, therabands etc... One student

said, " It

> seems like since we started that exercise my shoulder has been

> irritated. " This person started with using a theraband at first

then

> because of the irritation does not want to use anything and now is

> complaining of chronic pain. I think this exercise is actually

> painful for a lot of people when their shoulders are locked up.

Does

> anyone out there know about what kind of block is going on in the

> shoulder and if so - is there a different stretch that would be

> better? Thanks for your help. Atma

>

The shoulder opener on page 74 of Divine Alignment is a stretch.

Stretches are not warmups. The body must be warm before stretching

safely. Try regular shoulder warmups first, and then the shoulder

stretch.

Dear Atmak,

I teach this by doing the opposite rotation of the arm over the head. The top arm does an outward rotation which opens the shoulder to make this movement possible without pain. The bottom arm does an inward rotation. Everything else in his book sounds great. Try this and let me know how to goes for you.

Tom aka Harimander Singh.Kundalini-Yoga , "atmakk" <atmak wrote:>> Since the book Divine Alignment came out, I've been incorporating hip> and shoulder openers in the warm-ups of my KY classes. It's changed> alot me the students that come to the classes. For the most part it's> been a blessing, except for one shoulder opener that presents a> probelm for people. It's the hand clasp on pg. 74, if anyone is> familiar with it. Many students seem to have a locked up right> shoulder that creates this impossible situation of clasping the hands> behind the back. It actually creates irritation in the shoulder> joints when they do it and seems to be really uncomfortable for them.> Even with the use of belts, therabands etc... One student said, "It> seems like since we started that exercise my shoulder has been> irritated." This person started with using a theraband at first then> because of the irritation does not want to use anything and now is> complaining of chronic pain. I think this exercise is actually> painful for a lot of people when their shoulders are locked up. Does> anyone out there know about what kind of block is going on in the> shoulder and if so - is there a different stretch that would be> better? Thanks for your help. Atma>

Sat Nam all. I'd like to ask for details about the book, Divine Alignment. What's the ISBN, who's the publisher, and author? It sounds like a perfect match. I already give stretch outs to open shoulders and hips - but look forward to more. Many thanks and all Blessings, Ananda AnneAnne Leggett Walker, MBACell: 214 629 5662Fax: 1 866 271 9890anne_leggettwalker

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

The right should is related to the organs on the right side of the body. When one organ of that side is weak in energy it will show in the energy of the shoulder. I agree clasping the hands in the back is a difficult exercise for many people and I would not recommend it at the beginning. Better as suggested do a few shoulder warm ups first. Dev Dharam, Bangkok 21.2.2008

On 2/16/08, Kartar <HGREAVES wrote:

Kundalini-Yoga , " atmakk " <atmak wrote:>

> Since the book Divine Alignment came out, I've been incorporating hip> and shoulder openers in the warm-ups of my KY classes. It's changed> alot me the students that come to the classes. For the most part

it's> been a blessing, except for one shoulder opener that presents a> probelm for people. It's the hand clasp on pg. 74, if anyone is> familiar with it. Many students seem to have a locked up right

> shoulder that creates this impossible situation of clasping the hands> behind the back. It actually creates irritation in the shoulder> joints when they do it and seems to be really uncomfortable for

them.> Even with the use of belts, therabands etc... One student said, " It> seems like since we started that exercise my shoulder has been> irritated. " This person started with using a theraband at first

then> because of the irritation does not want to use anything and now is> complaining of chronic pain. I think this exercise is actually> painful for a lot of people when their shoulders are locked up.

Does> anyone out there know about what kind of block is going on in the> shoulder and if so - is there a different stretch that would be> better? Thanks for your help. Atma>The shoulder opener on page 74 of Divine Alignment is a stretch.

Stretches are not warmups. The body must be warm before stretching safely. Try regular shoulder warmups first, and then the shoulder stretch.