IndiaDivine.org

Who is the yogi?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

In India at the time of Guru Nanak, there were many yogis. They lived alone, they did not marry, nor did they work for their living. They lived in meditation caves, wore coats made from many rags patched together (to indicate poverty) large earrings (to indicate that they heard only the Word of God) and they carried a begging bowl, a cow horn, a purse, a deerskin (for meditation) and a walking staff. With their unwashed and uncombed matted hair and their bodies covered with gray funeral ashes (to remind themselves of the constant presence of death) they practiced their yogic disciplines and lived apart from the villagers and common householders. They begged for their food, and ate only what they were given.

Guru Nanak's meeting with the yogis is recorded in the Siri Guru Granth Sahib as the "Siddha Gosht". There are many shabds in the Siri Guru Granth Sahib where the yogis are addressed. The main purport of all these verses is that many who lived the lifestyle described above, were not true yogis at all (that is, one who is united with God… one who lives in a state of Union) but simply people caught up in their own rituals, self-righteousness, and pride.

The following poem was written at the request of Yogi Bhajan. It was written right after I completed the translation of the Furmaan Khalsa in which he signs himself as "the Yogi" in most of the poems.

He asked me to do a complete Sahaj Paath and extract every reference to a yogi, yogis or yoga and then to create an `epic' poem describing all of these qualities.

I found exactly 108 references to yoga and yogis in the Siri Guru Granth Sahib.

Here then is the epic poem "Yogi." It incorporates all of the 108 qualities of a Yogi as described in the Siri Guru Granth Sahib, and so describes the identity of the Raj Yogi, what Bhai Gur Dass described as "the Gurumukh Yogi."

My suggestion to you is to read it aloud.

- Guruka Singh Khalsa