IndiaDivine.org

The mantra business

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

True Story:A few weeks ago, a really sweet long-haired 20-something-generation-Y kinda dude walked into my downtown Portland KY class and with a wide grin and a Keanu Reeves voice said, " Ahh, you must be Yogi Bhajan! I have been reading about you! "

I felt for him when he was informed that I was just a yogi not *the* yogi.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~The mantra business:A few weeks ago, I asked the following question to my immersion (teachers from the summer 07 class) email group: " I am going to be starting a office yoga class and was wondering how to handle things like mantras and the more " new age " philosophy of KY? I think the mantras are the true magic of KY, so I want to emphasize them but on the other hand I don't want to alienate too many students either. Any information/hints would be much appreciated. "

I am compiling the wonderful answers I received from both " old " and new teachers - I think they would benefit all teachers/students of KY:

Gurucharan Singh Khalsa, NM(Director of Training KRI):First give them an experience of mantra. Assume in your self that it is something they already know in their heart. Think of gradual steps. The task is not to get agreement on the concept of mantra or the philosophy of mantra. Start with experience and ease the way using small chunks, an English mantra or two, etc.

Second, you enjoy it your self. Nothing lowers barriers faster that radiant enjoyment. It is the opposite of enthusiastic promotion. Just the change to do a mantra again, to share with lovely people is deeply enjoyable. Then they will want two of whatever you ordered : - )

Third, a little surprise goes a long ways. " I was surprised to discover how focusing on a few sounds could relax me so deeply and make me aware of what a chatterbox my mind is. " Speak don't tell. Give a hint of how this applies to the concerns of that particular group.

Amrit Singh Khalsa, CAMy suggestion for mantras to professionals is to explain the effect in scientific terms. Tongue movement on upper palate changing brain chemistry, mental focus and repetition altering neural patterns, strengthening positive neural pathways and gradually weakening negative ones, many clinical studies showing stress reduction and physiological improvements from meditation (even though this applies also to silent ones, you can mention it to sell them). Also maybe make it fun - don't take yourself too serious when you present it. Something like " I know, I know, this will seem really weird to you. But try it out. See if you do it honestly for 10 minutes and see if you feel any differently. Treat it like an experiment.

Anocha Ghoshachandra, CO (Japa Kaur):I remember Hari Kaur saying that it may help to use the ones in English first to ease them into it. Then you can build from there. I think affirmations can be a subtle way to introduce mantras as well. Like I am bountiful... or GOD and me..., etc. I also pick one beautiful mantra music to play on a regular basis before/after class. After a while people start asking what it is.

I have also used Dev Suroop's Kundalini Beat/Hip Hop CD in class often since it has both languages in it and she alternated between the two. Plus the beat is fun for the exercises.

Inderpal Kaur, VA:1) I think the " Meditation into Being: " I AM , I AM " (p 433 - Aquarian Teacher Manual) is a great place to start with sharing Mantra. It's simple - it's in English and it's " COOL " because you can talk about linking our finite self with the infinite (and you don't have to use the word GOD) AND -you do feel altered after 11 minutes - The comments in the book are also a great teaching aid.

2) I found the information below in Layne Redmond's Book - " Chakra Meditation " while preparing my series on the Chakras. I am going the share this info this week as I teach a class on the 6th chakra : There are specific meditation practices to purify the consciousness that interprets the sense perceptions so that we can begin to perceive the world directly, rather than thru our belief systems. a) Trataka - gazing at a picture or flame while cutting all thoughts allows the mind to simplify and directly perceive the light (sense of sight) b) Following the breath and focusing all awareness on the sensations of inhaling and exhaling while cutting attachments to our thoughts is a traditional purification of the sense perception of " feeling. " c) Repetition of sounds in mantra practice is another way of suspending thoughts and concentrating on sound perception without attaching meaning to it.

Update on this: my office weekly classes are in full swing and we are doing " Ek Onnnnng Kars " and " Saaaat Naaam " like there is no tomorrow!

~~~~~Also, this was sent on the immersion email group - its excellent stuff

chardi kala,waheguru wahegur waheguru wahegur waheguru....