IndiaDivine.org

yoga videos online

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

http://www.nationalpost.com/opinion/story.html?id=448077

Marni Soupcoff, National Post Published: Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Most Web surfers are creatures of habit, visiting the same handful of tired old favourites day after day. To help readers expand their electronic horizons, we present you with some of the Internet's underappreciated sites. Adjust your bookmarks accordingly.

WWW.YOGATODAY.COM

As you can imagine, the fun of writing a weekly Web column -- which transforms Web-surfing from a guilty hobby into a legitimate job-related activity -- is that it occasionally leads to the discovery of a truly life-enriching site. A week ago, bored with the three yoga DVDs I do over and over again when I can't make it to a class, I took to the Web in search of a site that offers informed reviews of instructional yoga tapes. I justified this as "work" since I figured readers might be interested in such a site, too. But I found something much better than a Roger Ebert of yoga flicks. To my delight, I stumbled upon Yoga Today. Every day, the simple site offers a brand new hour-long yoga class that you can watch through streaming video on the home page.

It's completely free, and the classes -- a mixture of Anusara, Ashtanga, Kundalini and other Hatha styles -- are filmed outdoors in picturesque Jackson Hole, Wyo. Best of all, the streaming video never seems to freeze (at least it hasn't on my computer) -- which means technical glitches don't interrupt your daily yoga vibe.

WWW.DAILYZEN.COM

It's now time to label today's column the Eastern spiritual edition of Click Here -- or the flaky new age hooey edition, depending on your point of view -- because my second pick of the week is a site called Daily Zen.

Daily Zen's focus is a daily quote from a Japanese poet, Buddhist monk, Taoist sage or Zen master -- a gracious little service the site has been providing for the past 10 years, making its archive a rich source of inspiration. Some quotes are more dense than others, and all are to a certain degree inscrutable (expect some haiku-induced head-scratching). But there's something calming and quieting about taking time out from the work day to read them.

Maybe it's the whimsical line drawings that do it -- I'm not sure -- but I always leave the site with the slightest hint of a smile on my face and a vague plan to start meditating or studying Buddhism or performing tea ceremonies. I never do any of those things. Which I tell myself is OK because Lao Tse said that the farther one pursues knowledge, the less one knows. Which I know (or think I know) from my visits to Daily Zen. But like the Way itself, Daily Zen means nothing until it is experienced firsthand.

msoupcoff

Blessings,

Amar Atma

Charles D. Frohman

202-536-4346 (office)/202-258-8027 (cell)

* click here, www.cfrohman.com, for my bio and client info* click here, www.CommonInterest.info, to "comment" at the blog* click here, www.3ho.org, to find a kundalini yoga class near your home or work

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.