IndiaDivine.org

Sin - no sin: on choosing or following god's plan

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Thanks to Shiv Charan, Gurudass and Charan for the exchange on acting as a choice versus under God's will. I'll add a wrinkle, from Sitchin's translations of the 4,000 BC Sumerian tablets.

I introduce this seeming non-yogic source because, well, according to Sitchin, yoga is mentioned in these tablets (as being passed from the goddess Innana to the human, particularly in the Harappan (Indus River) culture around 2900 BC, where she probably was known as Lakshmi), and because the point I'm going to make correlates specifically with the yogic word NAM, or identity.

In modern dictionaries, DESTINY means fate, and FATE means destiny. But originally, our probable earliest civilization, the Sumerians, differentiated the two. In Sumerian, NAM is destiny, which is predetermined, final and unavoidable - as human mortality, for example. When I read this, I thought, wow, our unavoidable destiny is sat NAM, truth! Fate, in the Sumerian lexicon, was NAM.TAR, a destiny that could be twisted and postponed (though not avoided) - it was changeable and subject to free choice. (Sitchin, "Journeys to the Mythical Past", 2007).

So, the Sumerians give us both - free will and God's plan. Our path is probably unavoidable, but we can tweak things along the way. I'd love some comments on this, since, really, WHO KNOWS.

Sat NAM,

Amar Atma

-----

Re: sin - no sin

Posted by: "scs" shivasfeet scsinghwaheguru

Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:05 pm (PDT)

sat nam thanks for the great and humbling reminder that there is only one doer - karta purkh. i wonder how such a perspective of gurbani explains guru naanak's apparent instruction to do japespecially if we have no choiceand also i wonder about yogi bhajan's invitation to commitment as the first step to happinessperhaps you can help out perhaps there is a relation between god the only doer, and one of his deeds beinf to give us choice. even if there really is only one choiceblessingsscswww.karamkriya. co.uk www.karamkriya. euIn 2008 the dam is open: all that was held back floods through

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.