IndiaDivine.org

teaching yoga in public schools vs. parochial

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Teaching yoga in a Catholic school is completely different than teaching in a public school. You really should respect the faith of Roman Catholics. I know someone mentioned fundamentalist christians and I can understand the sentiment. I once recommended bikram yoga to someone to lose weight and her mother threw the card at me like it had a disease (she's Jehovah Witness). I'm a Roman Catholic and wouldn't have a problem with my child learning yoga BUT some do and the Pope has said that it's okay to learn yoga for physical benefit but if any principles pose a stumbling block to personal christian faith then it should not be done. Personally, yoga in general has enhanced my christian walk but if a religious school doesn't want kundalini yoga then it really shouldn't be held against them. I tend to have a 'it's their loss' attitude about people who don't want to practice yoga anyway. My husband is a trad Catholic, a real super Catholic and he doesn't mind me doing kundalini yoga. Personally, I think he doesn't mind because of how it enhances the love life :D

God Bless,

Jaskaram

Re: Teaching yoga in public school Posted by: " terrarium44 " terrarium44 terrarium44 Wed May 14, 2008 6:08 am (PDT) Sat nam F,

I think it's great that you're thinking about sharing Kundalini Yoga with your students. As a school teacher myself (currently working as a librarian but going back into classes in September), one of the motivations for me to follow the KY teacher training was to

eventually share it with students. There are so many students out there who are living very difficult experiences--think about it: not only are they transitioning into adulthood, but that's also accompanied by the challenges of transitioning into the Aquarian Age! It's

a double whammy for many of them, and they're simply not taught how to manage all this energy and stress. KY is a perfect tool to help them manage their anger and other emotions they might be going through, and also get some exercise in their day.

All of that being said, I was planning on offering KY to students as an after-school program. Participation is completely voluntary, but I'd pitch it to my classes and particularly to students that I felt could really benefit from those classes.

We have Catholic and Public schools here in Canada, and my challenge is chanting " Ong Namo Guru Dev Namo " in a Catholic school. I'm not sure how that would work, with some raising an eyebrow to that. I don't see it being a problem in public schools, however, as all

faiths are normally represented in these schools.

In love and service,

Nadh Singh

Guest guest

Sat Nam,

I teach at our church and our janitor's high school daughter came to class last summer. She loved Kundalini and told friends at school about it. I've been teaching an after school class and it's gone very well. I open with Ong Namo Guru Dev Namo, do kriyas, and meditations and end with the Long time Sunshine Song. The girls (that's all who come to class) enjoy it. A couple of times the baseball team was in the cafeteria with us and were talking a lot. Once I began singing Ong Namo Guru Dev Namo, all the boys got very quiet and looked at us in amazement. They continued to be quiet for another 15 minutes or so and then left the cafeteria.

The girl who wanted me to teach graduates this year but others want me to continue teaching.

Sat Nam and Best Wishes to you,

Siri Sadhana/Virginia

Guest guest

Sat Nam

The Kundalini Yoga teachers of 3HO Germany

have a very extensive professional program and Specialty Training for teaching

in public schools throughout Germany. They would be willing to share their

experience with anyone who is interested to network. Contact them at info.

Blessings,

Tarn Taran Kaur Khalsa

3HO WOMEN International Director

3HO International

(505) 367-1309 (Tel)

(505) 753-1999 (Fax)

www.3HO.org