Sat Nam Everyone!

I would need knowledge about schizophrenia. For example - why kundalini

yoga is not good/even dangerous for schizophrenics? And if somebody,

who has got a schizophrenia would like to come your class and do

kundalini yoga...?

Thank you so much.

Sat Nam.

Sat nam!

I cannot answer your question but as an alternative healer I can recommend a great book. Healing Schizophrenia : Dr Abram Hoffer, MD, FRCP ©

Good luck!Marty in Charlotte

Hey All,

I'm brand new to this and don't wish to step on any toes if this list is strictly for those who practice Kundalini Yoga as prescribed by 3HO & Yogi Bajan. Please moderate if you find this examination of yoga & schizophrenia detrimental to your work.

First, defining the illness without the hinderance of yogi's interpretation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizophrenia

Second, come clean: I am a schizophrenic who is very experienced in western spiritual tradition & fairly new to yoga.

Third, examining the illness from a yogi's perspective: April 2001 I was initiated into the Dhyanyoga Center's lineage by Shri Anandi Ma & Dileepji Pathak; I received Shaktipat from them. 5 months later I experienced a psychotic break from reality, and after a year or so of psychotherapy was diagnosed with schizophrenia. The two experiences are linked, though not directly; they are linked via the mechanism of the mind [the brain]; which due to the upheval of the generally Judeo-Christian perspective & outlook I was raised in, I did not possess enough familiarity with eastern spirituality & world views to accomodate the flood of energy that the Shaktipat initiation provided for my spiritual growth.

If I could briefly use a metaphore of 'sunglasses' for the brain; I would say that the lense was far too dark to perceive what I was experiencing internally, using Hindu analogies or Hindu symbolism. Simply put, as soon as the flood of energy washed over my psyche [the awakening of the Kundalini], I sought an explanation for it internally [internal dialogue], and being unfamiliar with the Chakra system or Hindu symbolism I could grasp no simple explanation for it, and so experienced somewhat of a psychotic meltdown.

The metaphore of the 'lense' with which we perceive reality is significant as the study of Hindu symbolism & philosophy prior to receiving Shaktipat could have provided a tint to the lense which would have allowed me to view the world as it aught to be, instead of the psychosis. The samskaras of my upbringing were being burned through by the kundalini but I had no frame of referrence or prior experience which would allow it to produce healthy patterns of behavior & thought to coincide with the new found energy that was being awakened.

What is interesting to me, is that even though the lense is beyond repair [cracked or broken], because I have done a bit more research & study, and actual practice; shakti compensates for my lack psychologically. Which, to me, is the gift & grace of the Guru. I do take medication to repair the lense/brain as much as is possible, and depend on the study & practice, & immersion in Hindu philosophy to satisfy the gaping void between my apparently crippled brain, and the divinity latent in my psyche/aura.

That has been my experience.

bodhishvara

Kundalini-Yoga , "amarpal.kaur" <terhi.harmavaara wrote:>> Sat Nam Everyone!> > I would need knowledge about schizophrenia. For example - why kundalini > yoga is not good/even dangerous for schizophrenics? And if somebody, > who has got a schizophrenia would like to come your class and do > kundalini yoga...? > > Thank you so much.> > Sat Nam.>