IndiaDivine.org

It's Just Maya...

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Sometimes i feel a little anger and disappointment when i hear someone say 'remember, this is all Maya, it's not really happening; it's just an illusion. Especially when it is said to someone who may be suffering.

i sometimes want to say, "Hey, let me take you over to Darfer or somewhere where there is Real suffering, and set you down in the midst for several weeks. Let me come back when you are maybe starving to death and tell you, "remember now, none of this is real. It's not really happening. It's just an illusion... and see how well you receive it.

It's kinda like being in a dream. When one is In the Dream ... it IS real. But when one is in the 'witness' position, where one can see both the dream, the dreamer, and the past and present from and observer point of reference, the dream is recognized for what it is (or what it seems to be ... to us) ... a dream.

However, most of us, walking around in places from NY city, to Darfer, to where we are sitting at this moment, can only experience this as being unreal or an illusion during meditation, and then only sometimes .... until or unless 'Union" with the Self takes place (or 'death' occurs).

So, rather than telling us that we are dillusional, it may be kinder to help and support us, and Life, in whatever ways you can .. . if you can. But let us not hear "it's not really real, when we are suffering ... ok? And i'll do the same for you ...k. After all, why did you (we) come here in the first place, anyway. If it was to get throwed off the 'Wheel' hey just say the word ... and you may get just that, (i hope not). But if it's Not, then let us relax and enjoy ... helping others along the Way ... ok?

Life Love Grace

channa :)

Life Love Grace

koko.org ubuntu.com

earthday.net

thehungersite.com

freecycle.org

myspace.com/lovespirit

Sat Nam, Channa,

I've never understood the word "maya" to mean "illusion" in the sense of "it's not really happening".

It IS, whatever IT is, very definitely happening. The only delusion is in the way the mind perceives it, labels it, categorizes it, judges it, rejects it, accepts it, etc.

My understanding is that one of the greatest delusions we can buy into is the idea that we are separate from anyone and anything that IS in this world. That idea gives rise to duality, which allows the ego to position itself as "me" vs. "you" and, collectively, "us" vs. "them", which leads to all sorts of conflict and lack of compassionate action on both individual and group levels.

Applying an understanding of "maya" to the situations in the world that you refer to, for example, would give rise to the idea that I am not separate from those individuals suffering in Darfur. We all manifested from the same Source and will all return to the same Source. The fact that for these brief lifespans on earth we inhabit individual containers called bodies allows us to get caught up in the illusion that we are separate. Training the mind to think differently about this situation, and then having moments of experiencing that true union in meditation or other practices, is a way for us to be more compassionate in our speech about and our actions toward those who suffer.

Nirvair Kaur

Kundalini-Yoga , "channa :\)" <chanashappiness wrote:Sometimes i feel a little anger and disappointment when i hear someone say 'remember, this is all Maya, it's not really happening; it's just an illusion. Especially when it is said to someone who may be suffering. i sometimes want to say, "Hey, let me take you over to Darfer or somewhere where there is Real suffering, and set you down in the midst for several weeks. Let me come back when you are maybe starving to death and tell you, "remember now, none of this is real. It's not really happening. It's just an illusion... and see how well you receive it.

It's kinda like being in a dream. When one is In the Dream ... it IS real. But when one is in the 'witness' position, where one can see both the dream, the dreamer, and the past and present from and observer point of reference, the dream is recognized for what it is (or what it seems to be ... to us) ... a dream. However, most of us, walking around in places from NY city, to Darfer, to where we are sitting at this moment, can only experience this as being unreal or an illusion during meditation, and then only sometimes .... until or unless 'Union" with the Self takes place (or 'death' occurs). So, rather than telling us that we are dillusional, it may be kinder to help and support us, and Life, in whatever ways you can .. . if you can. But let us not hear "it's not really real, when we are suffering ... ok? And i'll do the same for you ...k. After all, why did you (we) come here in the first place, anyway. If it was to get throwed off the 'Wheel' hey just say the word ... and you may get just that, (i hope not). But if it's Not, then let us relax and enjoy ... helping others along the Way ... ok? Life Love Gracechanna :)> > > > Life Love Grace> > > > koko.org ubuntu.com> earthday.net> thehungersite.com> freecycle.org> myspace.com/lovespirit> > >