IndiaDivine.org

Help...torn calf muscle, what can I do to help healing?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Namaskaram, Sat Naam,

Last saturday, I torn my left calf muscle, whilst dashing for a bus. I

was shocked, as I have done a lot of " dashing " over the years, fast

accelerations in running etc, plus martial art (I practice Indian

Kalaripayatt, the mother of all martial arts) and I do yoga. So how on

earth did I tear my muscle? No idea. However the doc has said it'd

take at least 4 weeks to heal, and it is real painfull and I have to

limp heavily. Does any of you have any suggestions in how to quicken

the healing process? All suggestions welcome!

Thanks

Aum Tat Sat

Aum Tat Sat -

Sat Nam! I have been a massage therapist for 17 years, and first and foremost for the healing of muscles, tendon and ligaments - I recommend massage. It speeds circulation and blood and lymph flow, which of course speeds healing. Resting your calf is also very important while it is healing. Elevating it, icing it and then alternating ice and heat. Soaking it in a salt and soda bath will also be very good. Once the healing begins to happen - and you will feel it for yourself - very VERY gentle stretching. Be sure to follow your doctor's orders and don't rush the 4 weeks. Many of us have relapsed from torn muscles by trying to rush through the healing process.

Good luck, and I hope you can find a good, licensed massage therapist near where you live. It would be even better if they were trained in sports massage. Those of us that are trained in sports massage have a lot of experience with these types of injuires.

Blessings,

Guru Jiwan Kaur

Corrales, New Mexico

"Let there be Peace - Let there be Peace of mind - Let there Peace with mankind - Let there be Peace of the States - Let the world dwell within the force of Peace." ~Yogi Bhajan

Sat Nam,

I have suffered a number of calf strains from years of running in the soft sand at the beach. Stretching and strengthening are key to healing the tear and preventing future tears. Lots are toes raises either with or without weight and lots of down dog/triangle pose type calf stretches. Deep tissue massage, painful but necessary to break up the balls of scar tissue in the muscle and ultrsound treatment are very helpful. A physical therapist who specializes in sports injuries could help you with those. Tumeric for the inflammation is a natural alternative to non steroidal anti-inflammatrories like ibuprofin that have toxi side effects. You can also get inserts to put in your shoe to raise the heel and take the strain off your calf while it heals.

Depending upon how bad the tear is, with proper treatment you could heal faster than 4 weeks--possibly much faster if it's not a bad tear. In the meantime, with the inserts in your shoe you can get around pain free--as long as you aren't trying to run barefoot in the soft sand at the beach!

Sat Nam

Just something to add to the excellent advice given already. I would be very cautious about using any kind of heel lift while the muscle is healing. This will simply cause the muscle to shorten during the process and will also have an adverse effect on pelvic alignment.

With blessings

Guru Ram Kaur, Sohan Jalaiai Centre