Sat Nam,

modify, modify , modify to suit their needs

i have a 75 yo who comes with a grocery cart of props

encourage people to do it in a chair if they have a hard time sitting on the

floor.

peace, john (ram das singh)

Guest guest

Sat Nam Satmukh Kaur

I have taught several 10 week courses at one of the age related charities with people aged between 60 and 85. A few were supple enough to do floor work and they were keen to put effort into this - others could hardly move even in a chair and some were very overweight. The first class is the assessment class - discovering who can do what. Subsequently I 'divide' the class into two sections - those working in chairs who cannot work on the floor, and those working in chairs and on the floor. All do chair exercises, and following that as the 'chair' workers do one thing, the 'floor' workers do another. All usually manage simple standing work, some being supported by hands on the back of a chair.

There are many KY asanas which can be done in a chair - Spine Flex (which I always include), Side Twists, all the arm exercises, etc. and of course Pranayama is a must. I also include chair and standing exercises which would not be recognised in the KY manual but which they really need and can also manage to do. This raises the question - am I really teaching Kundalini Yoga? I believe so since to my mind it is about the purity of intention, honouring our lineage, following the KY class ritual of tuning in and tuning out, teaching our beautiful mantras, and uplifting all.

Should you begin teaching the elderly and would like to contact me I would be pleased to hear from you.

With blessings,

Guru Ram Kaur

Sohan Jalaiai Centre

UK