IndiaDivine.org

Multiple Sclerosis

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Sat Nam everybody,

I would like to invite you to share your experience made with Kundalini Yoga and

MS, may it be in groups, in personal training or in a clinical setting. Did you

find any exercises that were in particular beneficial or supporting to anyone

with MS?

Please, let's keep this on a practical and less theoretical level. This is not

about healing MS - this is about how to humbly suport a person/student with such

a condition.

Here are some thoughts based on my experience:

1. with MS it is even more important than for others to reduce the pressure put

on yourself when practicing. This may result in reducing and finding the " right "

pace, less movement and more breath,...

2. relax whenever you feel like it

3. observing the breath and then leading and guiding it can be a very good

introduction into a new exercise

4. this illness is very complex and can have many faces. start slowly and enjoy.

The feedback I received from working with light Aura strengthening exercises and

Mantra singing were very positive. Again, conscious long deep breathing seems to

be a huge support.

In general I found the Kundalini Yoga excercises an incredible helpful tool to

work with. I am excited about to learn what you can share...

Blessings,

Karta Purkh Singh

Hamburg

Guest guest

Sat Nam, Karta Purkh Singha couple of months ago, a dear friend who practices KY and suffers from Multiple Sclerosis

asked me to help her find information regarding the two. Her main question was this:

" Can Breath of Fire, so beneficial to healthy people, be in any way harmful for people who suffer from Multiple Sclerosis? Does Breath of Fire activate Cytotoxic T cells? "  

I contacted the Guru Ram Das Center for Medicine & Humanology and Shanti Shanti Kaur Khalsa was very helpful and offered this advice - I hope she won't mind me sharing it with you all:

Regarding yogic approaches, each person with MS is different and so yogic protocols are specific to the individual with kriya and meditation practice that takes into consideration the person's ability, endurance and other health conditions. Generally, we do not instruct yoga of any linage when the person with MS is in what is sometimes referred to as the active phase.  Your friend can practice simple breath and calming meditation methods at that time.

In general, breath of fire is not advised for people with MS even though there is no evidence that I have read or seen that indicates the practice of breath of fire activates cytotoxic t cells. The person with MS must observe their own experience with the heating effects of breath of fire and decide for herself if she feels better or not from practice.  Mostly we do not want to heat further a person with MS, even in the non active stage.

Segmented breathing and breathing methods that slow the rate of breath to 4 times per minute or slower can benefit the nervous system.  In addition, there is much evidence to suggest that taking evening primrose oil capsules assist the nervous system in people with MS.

Humbly yours,Shanti Shanti Kaur

If you have any additional information please post it on here so I can forward it to my friend.

Thank you,Uttamjit in Rome, Italy

• 4 weeks later...
Guest guest

I was diagnosed with MS about the same time i started practicing Kundalini Yoga

in 2000. I do BOF and it is fine for me. In fact, i believe a steady practice

of kundalini yoga and meditation has significantly improved my health -

physically, emotionally, spiritually. You must listen to yourself - you are

your own best metric for what is beneficial or not. Certainly, if you are

experiencing fatigue, muscle spasms or any of the host of MS symptoms that can

occur....take it easy on the really heating/physical stuff.

Have a nice cool practice space - no hot yoga!

blessings,

Guruchittar Kaur

Marlton, NJ