IndiaDivine.org

Yoga and pregnancy

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Namasthey

given below are some answers given by Devasena on the subject of Yoga and pregnancy

i felt that it may be useful for some of u who deal with such situations

alla the best

ananda

1. How long have you been involved with Yoga before your Pregnancy? (How often)

I have been involved in the Yogic life for more than 20 years. In the beginning I used to attend the Yoga classes only on every Sunday for two hours with Amma at Sri Kambliswamy Madam. I used to also practise every day in the morning and evening. After Yognat was started in 1993, Amma used to teach us the important techniques for teaching different levels Yoga classes every week. The founding of Yognat was also a blessing because it gave me the opportunity to practice the yoga asana etc while teaching the classes for the adults as well as the children. The Summer Intensive Yoga classes as well as the summer camps at ICYER gave me more scope to both learn as well as practice. If there were any important programmes, competitions or demonstrations, then special training used to be given every day before those events. My real Yoga education was however when in 1997 I j

oined the six-month Yoga Teacher Training Course at ICYER. This life enhancing time has been the foundation of a blessed life for me. In addition to all of this, the icing on the cake has been the special training that Amma has imparted to both Dr Sir and myself everyday after I got married into this wonderful Yoga family. In summary, Yoga has been part and parcel of all my activities in the past more than 20 years

2. Why do you practice Yoga?

I practice practise Yoga

a) To try and live a good, evolutionary and Yogic Life.

b) To be strong and healthy even I my old age.

c) To attempt an cultivate equanimity in my thoughts, words and deeds

d) To know myself!

e) To learn how to distinguish the good from the bad.

f) To acquire discrimination (Viveka) and detachment (Vairagya)

g) To follow righteousness

h) To be strong physically, mentally and emotionally

i) To perceive right knowledge.

3. How did Yoga benefit your Pregnancy in your opinion?

The practice of Yoga made my delivery both easy as well as normal. I have often heard from others how they would feel a lot of difficulty in breathing during pregnancy, but I have found no such problems during my pregnancy. Many women suffer various health related problems and I have been lucky that due to my Yoga, I haven’t has to undergo too many of these problems at all. When compared to others, I feel that I have been ale to do all my daily activities regularly and also without to much tiredness. I was also able to teach all my classes as well as conduct many programmes even up to the last week of my pregnancy. I feel that it also helped me to have good and positive thoughts as well as positive attitudes throughout the pregnancy.

4. What are the specific Asanas you’d recommend for:

a) 0-3 months pregnant women

b) 3-6 months pregnant women

c) 6-9 months pregnant women

d) Giving Birth?

e) Girls going through adolescence?

f) Women going through Menopause?

Generally Surya Namaskar, Samastithi group of Asanas and sitting postures like Vajrasana, Badda Konasana, Chatush Pada Asana, Padmasana, Purna Vajrasana and its variations are good for all women. Pranayamas such as Vibhaga, Pranava, Savitri and Bhramari are very useful to help calm the mind and control the emotions. Practices such as Dharmikasana, Ushtrasana, Halasana, Matsyasana, Paschimottanasana, the Jathis (hip twist, shaking legs hands, butterfly action) and some Kriyas like Chatushpada Kriya and Gardhbah Kriya etc. For the first 6 months, Utkat Asana can be done with legs slightly apart to open the Pelvic region. I suggest that no vigorous movements should be done during pregnancy.

A) 0-3 month of pregnancy

i) Nikunja or Bala Asana

ii) Navasana

iii) Chatushpada Asana, Kriya and Vyagraha Pranayama

iv) Hasta Pada Asana

v) Mehru Asana

vi) Dwi Pada Uttana Asana

vii) Halasana

viii) Sarvangasana

ix) Baddhakonasana with Aswini Mudra and Moola Bandha.

B) 3-6 month of Pregnancy

i) All the Asanas except Halasana and Sarvangasana

C) 6-9 month of Pregnancy

i) Nikunja Asana

ii) Baddhakonasana with Moola Bandha and Aswini Mudra

iii) Chatush Pada Asana and Kriya and Vyagrah Pranayama.

D) Giving Birth

i) Baddakona Asana and butterfly action

ii) Chatush Pada Asana and Kriya and Vyagrah Pranayama.

iii) Nasarga Mukha Bhastrika

iv) Moola Bandha and Aswini Mudra can be done soon after delivery.

E) Girls going through adolescence

Generally all Yoga practices can be done. But during the menses Sarvangasana, Shirshasana and other topsy turvy poses as well as poses that pressure the uterus and abdomen should be avoided.

F) Women going through menopause.

They may do all the Yoga practices depending on their health condition as well as their ability and agility. All Pranayamas are very useful to help deal with the emotions at this crucial time. Asanas such as Badda Kona Asana, Chatush Pada Asana and Chatush Pada Kriya as well as the Moola Bandha and Aswini Mudra and very useful to help deal with pelvic problems.

5) Are there any other limbs of the Ashtanga Yoga that particularly benefit women in your opinion? (Yama, Niyama, etc.)

Women are definitely benefited by practice of Adikara Yoga (Yamas and Niyamas) both mentally and emotionally. Dharana and Dhyana also help the women as they help to develop concentration as well as will power needed to deal with family tension and other such problems. Asana, which is the third step, helps women to be physically stable and also helps them to develop positive body awareness and self-confidence.

Pranayama – Usually women are prone to face problems in the family and due to that, they get stress and strain. In such cases an inability to breathe normally may be the eventual result. So, Pranayama can help them to relieve the stress and strain mentally (relaxes the mind) and prevent bigger problems.

Pratyahara – The control of senses. Many women have no control over their senses and if they don’t develop this control them it leads a lot of problems in the family as well in the community.

6) Since the birth of your daughters have you found time to do your own Sadhana? If so, what do you recommend for women after giving birth?

I am only able to find time to do my Sadhana whenever she is sleeping and even that time is taken up by my daily activities! It is important that soon after delivery, the body should not be put under too much strain. So, for the first 3 months post delivery simple Asanas and Kriyas can be done. The one aspect that can be done right away is the Pranayama and I try to maintain this whenever possible. Deep breathing soothes the mind and emotions and also helps the baby to suckle in a calm and relaxed manner. I have found that Badda Kona Asana with Moola Bandha and Aswini Mudra, as well as the Sarvangasana with knees on forehead are very beneficial. Chatush Pada Asana and Vyagrah Pranayama are an essential part of any postnatal programme and I try to do these as often as pos

sible.

-- _________Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

Dear Hemaa

hope that u are feeling better nowdays

amma and all of us wish you and SHiva to have a great child and a wonderful parenthood

i suggestthat u include the baddhakona asana and kriya as well as a lot of chatushpada kriya and vyagrah pranayama

aswini mudra and moola bandha as well as performing the mantralaya for the manipura will be very good

in fact the mantralaya will be a great initiation for the baby too

all the best

anandaYogacharya Dr.Ananda Balayogi Bhavanani Chairman

Yoganjali Natyalayam and ICYER

25,2nd Cross,Iyyanar Nagar, Pondicherry-605 013

Tel;0413 2622902 / 0413 2241561 abb,yognat2001 Website: www.icyer.com

Protect your identity with Mail AddressGuard