IndiaDivine.org

Amma's essays

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

TAPASYA: PURIFICATION BY FIRE

By Meenakshi Devi Bhavanani

“Some say the world will end in fire, some say in ice. From what I’ve tasted of desire, I side with those who favour fire; but, I think I know enough of hate, to know that ice is also great and will suffice.” Robert Frost, a great American poet, wrote those wonderful words. I, too, like him, “side with those who favour fire.”

Fire is an important element to the Yogis. Fire tests us, purifies us, transforms us, melds us, evaporates us, stimulates us. “Tapasya,” the third Niyama, comes from “Tejas” or which means “fire.” Tapasya is often translated as “penance,” but lets remove that out-dated Christianity from the word. “Tapasya” is more correctly understood as “heat which transforms and purifies.” Sometimes, when we “jump from the frying pan into the fire,” it may actually be “good for our souls.” Or when some one close to us “turns the heat on” emotionally, they may be doing us a spiritual favour. Like wise, we should not avoid the “hot seat” or the “hot spot.” Fire makes us alert, aware. What is true for cooks is also true for Yogis. “If you can’t stand the heat, get out of the

kitchen.”

Good Yoga Sadhana “heats us up.” We must learn to use this power, not to put it out. Avoid those who “pour cold water” on your “fire” as well. There will always be those who wish to “dampen our spirits.” Fire is the sun, fire is light, fire is the crisis we have to face, in small and big ways, every day. A crisis is the opportunity to change, to transform, to grow and to glow.

We need passion in our Yogic lives. Even Jesus Christ got fed-up with his lack-a-dasical disciples and shouted (I am sure) one day in exasperation, “Because thee are neither hot nor cold, I vomit thee up.” Contrary to popular propaganda, Jesus was a firy prophet, in the best old Testament tradition!

Fire is the transforming agent. Tapasya is “spiritual fire.” We may “enter the fire consciously” by fasting, arduous Asana and Pranayama Sadhana, long periods of Dharma, living in a austere Ashram, undergoing Mauna. But sometimes even our day-to-day life is Tapasya enough! It is Tapasya to smile when you wish to weep, to work when you wish to sleep, to confront when you wish to hide, to exert when you wish to relax. Sometimes, just doing our Swadharma is Tapasya.

Yoga is Tapasya. To meld together two metals into an alloy, a great amount of heat is required. To join the Jiva (us) with Shiva (Him) Tapasya gives the needed heat. I, too, side with those who favour fire! Let us not be afraid to embrace its test ourselves in its passionate challenge!Yogacharya Dr.Ananda Balayogi Bhavanani Chairman

Yoganjali Natyalayam and ICYER

25,2nd Cross,Iyyanar Nagar, Pondicherry-605 013

Tel;0413 2622902 / 0413 2241561 abb,yognat2001 Website: www.icyer.com

Mail - More reliable, more storage, less spam