Guest guest

Guest guest

Dear Vimala,

i am glad that u asked me the question as it made me to do some research today

learning is always fun and so here is your answer, ihope

all the best

ananda

Tamil New Year

The Tamil New Year is celebrated on the first day of the month of Chittirai (April-May). It is known as Vishu, which means grand appearance or inaugural appearance.

This is said to be the day that Lord Shiva and Pravathi gave Darshan in their wedding grandeur to Sage Agastya. Agastya had not attended their celestial wedding because he had been sent to the South. This was to balance the imbalance created by all gods being at Kailash. So Lord Shiva and Pravathi gave him Darshan (Vishu) on the first day of Chittirai. As Agastya is considered the father of the Tamil culture, all Tamils in his memory celebrate this day as New Year.

Another version has it that Lord Brahma created the world on this day. The twelve months of the Tamil calendar are divided for the trinity of Hinduism. Lord Brahma governs Chittirai, Adi, Ippasi, and Thai. Lord Vishnu governs Vaigasi, Avani, Karthigai and Masi. Lord Shiva governs Ani, Purattasi, Margazhi and Panguni.

There are 60 Tamil years and they repeat themselves every 60 years. This year is the Dharana year and 60 years ago would have also been the same Dharana year. It is a year of great testing and we must be concentrated to avoid unpleasantness.

India has numerous calendars as each region or state has its own new year and it is a true evidence of our strength of unity in diversity that anything gets done with al the Holidays!

Vimala Dhanaraj <vim_asteya wrote:

Dear Sir, I had a discussion with a colleague of mine regarding our New year.I couldnt think of any other right person other than u and our Amma.I need some inforamtion. I would like to know the origin of tamil language, its months and years.how different is it from telegu & kannada calendars. do all hindus follow a single calendar. Am sorry if this causes any inconveinence to u.Just a discussion on our calendar, brings out so many stories from our scriptures, its very intersting to know abt this.Regards,VimalaYogacharya Dr.Ananda Balayogi Bhavanani Chairman

Yoganjali Natyalayam and ICYER

25,2nd Cross,Iyyanar Nagar, Pondicherry-605 013

Tel;0413 2622902 / 0413 2241561 abb,yognat2001 Website: www.icyer.com

Small Business $15K Web Design Giveaway - Enter today