Guest guest

thanks for the nice start of a topic

i feel that rituals are important as they give a stability to the life

a ritual is anything that is done

for a significant purpose

in a regular manner

and with awareness

if awareness is absent then it becomes a mere habit and not a ritual

of course i am not talking of the literal meaning of ritual that is no more than a habit

anandaNova Scheidt <nova_scheidt wrote:

Hello,Just a quick note to say how much I enjoyed the Brain Lectures. I must admit that I had a hard time getting into the first one because of all of the scientific terminology, but after that I was hooked. <grin>I am hoping to start a group discussion here. My mind has been randomly throwing out ideas about rituals and I was wondering if anyone had more substance or thoughts about ritual.This is what my mind is randomly producing:1. Rituals can create a feeling a oneness2. Rituals satisfy the animal brain3. Rituals create a disciplineI think that somehow all of these thoughts are linked, but I haven't found the bridge.Particularily, to ask "WHY?" to each of these statements.Also, how would you define a ritual?Hoping others can

contribute.---Nova_______________MSN Premium includes powerful parental controls and get 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca & page=byoa/prem & xAPID=1994 & DI=1034 & SU=http://hotmail.com/enca & HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines

Yogacharya Dr.Ananda Balayogi Bhavanani

Chairman

Yoganjali Natyalayam and ICYER

25,2nd Cross,Iyyanar Nagar, Pondicherry-605 013

Tel;0413 2622902 / 0413 2241561 abb,yognat2001 Website: www.icyer.com

www.blogs.sify.com/balayogi16

Protect your identity with Mail AddressGuard

Guest guest

the first thought that comes to my mind when I see the word ritual is that it is a major theme in Spi-"Ritual" ... a ritual of spirit...a ritual of spir ( latin for breath) and life.... perhaps even a cyclical process like breath and life itself. perhaps whether we know it or not we are performing ritual all the time . breathing, living/dying. maybe the idea is to become conscious of this ritual and even co-creators? just an idea.

GSNova Scheidt <nova_scheidt wrote:

Hello,Just a quick note to say how much I enjoyed the Brain Lectures. I must admit that I had a hard time getting into the first one because of all of the scientific terminology, but after that I was hooked. <grin>I am hoping to start a group discussion here. My mind has been randomly throwing out ideas about rituals and I was wondering if anyone had more substance or thoughts about ritual.This is what my mind is randomly producing:1. Rituals can create a feeling a oneness2. Rituals satisfy the animal brain3. Rituals create a disciplineI think that somehow all of these thoughts are linked, but I haven't found the bridge.Particularily, to ask "WHY?" to each of these statements.Also, how would you define a ritual?Hoping others can

contribute.---Nova_______________MSN Premium includes powerful parental controls and get 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca & page=byoa/prem & xAPID=1994 & DI=1034 & SU=http://hotmail.com/enca & HL=Market_MSNIS_TaglinesYOGACHARYA GOWRISHANKARANANDA

Tax Center - File online by April 15th

Guest guest

dear GS

great insight :)

how did i ever miss that one? :/

this is why satsangh is important

we get to see what we missed in a more clear manner and keep on learning

i invite others to also contribute to these discussions

anandaYogacharya Gowrishankarananda <gowrishankarananda wrote:

the first thought that comes to my mind when I see the word ritual is that it is a major theme in Spi-"Ritual" ... a ritual of spirit...a ritual of spir ( latin for breath) and life.... perhaps even a cyclical process like breath and life itself. perhaps whether we know it or not we are performing ritual all the time . breathing, living/dying. maybe the idea is to become conscious of this ritual and even co-creators? just an idea.

contribute.---Nova_______________MSN Premium includes powerful parental controls and get 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca & page=byoa/prem & xAPID=1994 & DI=1034 & SU=http://hotmail.com/enca & HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines

YOGACHARYA GOWRISHANKARANANDA

Chairman

Photos: High-quality 4x6 digital prints for 25¢

Guest guest

Evolving Rituals, Including Morning Puja and Pranava A-U-M, are also a Form of Discipline [ Abyasa ] , as well as Detachment [ Vairagya ], as a result, assist in the contol of Chittvrittis. During these Rituals, we are at one with our essential nature, at Ease. Devolution equals Dis-Ease.

Muralee

"Dr.Ananda Bhavanani" <yognat2001 wrote:

dear GS

great insight :)

how did i ever miss that one? :/

this is why satsangh is important

we get to see what we missed in a more clear manner and keep on learning

i invite others to also contribute to these discussions

anandaYogacharya Gowrishankarananda <gowrishankarananda wrote:

YOGACHARYA GOWRISHANKARANANDA

Chairman

Photos: High-quality 4x6 digital prints for 25¢

Yogacharya Muralidharan Giri

Gitananda Yoga Centre Sydney

26 Trevitt Road, North Ryde 2113

NSW, Australia

Find local movie times and trailers on Movies.

Guest guest

Namaste to all

A good definition of ritual I have found is the following :

'Any ordered sequence of events, actions and / or directed thoughts, especially one that is repeated in the "same" manner each time, that is designed to produce a predictable altered state of consciousness within which certain magical or religious (or artistic or scientific?) results may be obtained'. Real Magic, Isaac Bonewits

A good example of this in our collective experience especially if done with conscious awareness and a devotional emotional attitude are the morning Pujas at Ananda Ashram and Sunday Puja at the Madam.

Yours in Yoga

Devidasan.