IndiaDivine.org

Dr Bhole's reponse to the Yoga research question

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Namasthe

here is the response to the Yoga Research question from Dr MV Bhole , one of India's senior most yoga researchers and retired director of Yoga research at Kaivalyadhama

ananda

How do you view your role as a researcher?

To search again.

Do you feel like you are trying to "prove" phenomena that are already known to be "true"; do you feel like you're reducing yoga to fit current paradigms?

1. If one is not fortunate enough to have been born as a Brahmin having access to the living tradition and/or if you are not fortunate enough to have your training under the direct guidance of a "Guru" with "His Grace" (Gurukrupa) in Indian "Guru-Shishya Parampara"; then you have no other alternative than to follow the existing western approach.

2. If one has no knowledge of Sanskrit and does not know how to decipher complex sanskrit terms into simple Sanskrit, then one has to depend on the translations of old yoga literature in other language either Indian and/or western. The translators may not be "Realized" or "Emancipated Souls".

3. If one has been educated and brought up in western way of thinking and analysis, then how one can easily switch over to the Indian way of thinking and analyzing yoga texts, terms, techniques, states of consciousness etc.?

4. All people do not come to yoga in the olden classical motivation to know "Who am I?". They have other demands, which require different approaches to find suitable answers. Preset day Yoga Experts, many a times, are not willing to deviate from their path for reasons best known to them. In that situation, one has no other go than to resort to other types of approaches and explanations.

Please do not see these questions as an attack on your research. As someone who's felt both the synergy and conflict between so-called eastern and western medicine, as someone who sees the advantages and disadvantages to "good" scientific research methods - randomization, blinding, setting controls for creating specific targeted therapies, I am just always left with the feeling that scientific research forces yoga to be too small in order to fit into its own conception of what knowledge is, its own scope that seeks greater reduction, not greater harmony or totality. How do you see "good, useable" data? I am so curious on this subject.

There is no attack on my research. I know what I have done and I am doing. In what direction I am travelling and I want to guide people coming to me. Everything begins and starts in a "Very Small" way. Slowly it grows. Every big work and/or task has to be divided into suitable pieces e.g. Ashtanga of Patanjali, Shadangas of Gheranda etc. Where is the Conflict?? I cannot understand.

I do believe that I can walk the path of a scientific healer and a yogi simultaneously. Again, it’s this question of how.

Oh yes surely. Go to Ananda Ashram where there is the living tradition of Rishi Culture blended with modern medicine without any conflict and/or contradiction.

With regards,

Mukund Bhole

Yogacharya Dr.Ananda Balayogi Bhavanani

Chairman

Yoganjali Natyalayam and ICYER

25,2nd Cross,Iyyanar Nagar, Pondicherry-605 013

Tel;0413 2622902 / 0413 2241561 abb,yognat2001 Website: www.icyer.com

www.blogs.sify.com/balayogi16

Win a $20,000 Career Makeover at HotJobs