IndiaDivine.org

SELECTED ANSWERS FROM STUDENTS OF THE YOGA: STEP-BY-STEP CORRESPONDENCE COURSE

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

welcome to all the new members

i request you to go through all the past discussions as wellas view the photos and files on the group

i give below some selected answers from students of the Yoga: Step-By-Step Correspondence Course for your reading as they are highly stimulating

yours in yoga

ananda

1. What does Sri Krishna claim Yoga to be?Being such a broad subject, yoga has been defined in a variety of ways by a variety of sources. Swami Gitananda asks us to think of yoga as a 'way of life'. Similarly, Sri Krishna defines yoga as 'skill in action'. We agree with both these definitions of yoga, with their emphasis on doing or action. Yoga is not something to be studied intellectually, its insights have to be put into practice in all aspects of life in order to be of benefit. Yoga, therefore, is a systematic method of self-discovery, development and improvement. It is the path through which we integrate our bodies, emotions, intellects and spirits, leading us from suffering to freedom.2. Is Yoga intended to be a dull, morbid form of life?The royal path of Raja yoga begins with the Yamas and Niyamas – moral prohibitions and prescriptions. So it is possible to see how an average person, addicted to sensory pleasures such as drinking alcohol, watching TV, etc. could mistake the yogic life for a dull and morbid life, eschewing as it does such sensory pleasures in favour of a life based on morality, and giving as it does such consideration to the affects of our actions on future incarnations.

When we (try our best to!) lead a yogic life, however, we see that it is neither dull nor morbid, nor is it the opposite extreme, rather, yoga is a balanced path that brings health and harmony, both now and in the future.

What is Yoga Drishthi?

Yoga Drishthi is a manner or way of looking at thing, concept, or state of mind. Drishthi meaning fixation is to see reality. With the philosophy of right means to achieve right ends in mind, then we can see that in order to be one with truth we need to live truth as a state of being. Truth must be observed as it truly is without the aberrations of the mind, as is declared in the Yoga Sutras

What are some of the factors involved in perception and conception?

In order to perceive incoming stimuli we have to outwardly send our sensory attention; therefore perception is not just receiving it is sending. In order to perceive an object we must have the desire to receive it. This desire itself is an outward focus of attention. Herein lies the problem with accurate perception. If our desire is based on illusory false beliefs then we will not perceive truth. Sensory perceptions are often slewed by our mental conceptions. Learning to discriminate the truth through our intuition will give us right perception.

What is the law of Karma?

The law of Karma can also be described as Gods Law, or Cosmic law, it is the Law if Life. The law of Karma describes that for every action there is a reaction and, just as importantly that for every reaction/effect there was an action/cause. Through Yoga Drishthi we begin to see that the reactions are not just singular but infinitely multiple in nature. Karma describes a chain reaction with every step requiring once again a conscious awareness about our thoughts and actions. Consciousness in action can create good karma through preventing errors of omission and the acts of commission.

6. What are the three originating sources of Karma?

Adhyatmika Karma: That which comes from the Self. Results of one’s own actions, thoughts, dreams or omission thereof.

Adhibhautika Karma: That which comes from the material side of creation. Therefore it is outside of the Self. I.e. animals, weather and things found in nature.

Adhidaivika Karma: That which comes from the time and place in which we are born. The planets are powerful psychic forces that rule the human mind, nervous system and major glands of the body. One cannot change the time and place of their birth, and one has to face up to the Karma related to the events.

Evaluate yourself on each of the Yamas

Ahimsa - Throughout the day I catch myself thinking and saying negative things about my fellow humans. Through out my youth I couldn’t decide if I loved human beings or despised them. I could see all the horrible things that we do to each other and even now I see the actions of others and think this is just not right. In the past I would judge as bad or good, now I have a lot more compassion as I too have done many “bad” things and have learned not to judge. For the last few years I have been writing poetry relating us humans as Gods beautiful flowers. Once I picked a dandelion and walked with it in my hand after a couple hours it was withered and dead. When I looked at I

cried my head off that I did that and ever since then I have not been able to pick a flower. Relating this I feel that Consciousness is in everything including animals and plants like vegetables. I have had a hard time justifying why I should become a vegetarian as consciousness is in the vegetables as well. A couple months back I decided that I would try it to so if my nervous system would become more sensitive for my meditations. I can say I am more at ease and clearer in thought even though I am gaining weight. I am slowly mastering Ahimsa the mind is the last wall to gain mastery over, and is the main reason why I am coming to study at ICYER.

Asteya – The main issue with theft that I have had in recent years is with regards to not paying income tax. This is based on my selfish desire for more (aparigraha) and a lack of belief that the universe will provide for me. Related to this is Satya because I have to lie so I can keep the money. When I was younger I wanted to claim credit for great ideas that were inspired elsewhere. I feel it is impossible to think that anything we say or do is truly original as we have learned from other and been influenced b the collective consciousness. Brokenhearted about my selfishness by claiming credit for all of my poetry when really I can only give God credit I wrote a line in another poem. “How is it that I am to make sense of this life that I call my own? For me to assume glory for my words, my experiences, my beauty; is this not the self same maniacal egoism known as blasphemy?”. Without giving the author (God), credit we are committing Asteya!

Satya – Within any given week (some weeks being considerably better than others) I will have a few days where I find myself lying to give myself more credit. I will be aware as I am saying something that this is not exactly true. Sometimes I will correct myself other times I just take note and think I will do better next time. An example would be regarding time which seems to be the most common. If asked when I did something I will usually round the number of months or years to whatever sounds better, perhaps out of habit but nonetheless it is a lie seeking credibility and validation. For example, if a local resident of -------- town asked me how long I have lived here I find myself saying almost a year when really it

has been not quite 7 months. Another example would be If asked how many students I have personally trained I have said thousands when really I don’t know exactly I can only estimate at approximately 4500 and the vast majority of those I only trained anywhere from 1-10 times, but I rationalize it by believing that 20% trained an average of 400 time when really only 2.5% did. Again this exaggeration is to gain validation and to market myself when the reality is my professional accomplishments are an outstanding account of someone externally focused on external achievement and external validation.

Brahmacharya – Where to start? How to start? I really think my gross (and I mean Gross) misuse of sexual energy is my biggest sin against myself, and others. I Love Love, and when I think I don’t have it I have used sex to replace love. This sex has actually depleted my energy and numbed my consciousness by being so externally focused on my sexual desires that I have built walls to intimacy and true love. By having selfish desires for sexual satisfaction I have prevented selfless love to flow from me and thus to me. After what God has shown me I realize now that I cannot give or receive love I can only be it. I feel that to love love and not the object of love is to love myself, and everyone else. Another thing that I

noticed was that the more I depleted my sexual energy the more I had to prove to myself that I had it and that I was potent and powerful so I would deplete it some more this being one more type of validation. All this having been said I have been practicing celibacy for the last year, mostly quite unsuccessfully as I find myself having 1 or 2 sexual thoughts on an almost daily basis and inevitably leading to a loss of energy. Again, this garnering mastery of my mind is why I am coming to the Gurukula, so I can obtain proper instruction.

Aparigraha – Greedlessness and the freedom from desire has been the most beautiful experience of my life and the most consciously recognized path towards liberation. Sexual desires seems to be my biggest desire that I still struggle with but have come along way as I recognize how much this selfishness has hurt myself and others and really no longer serves me. The only bliss that is the peace that I have felt when I have been free of desire. In my heart of hearts I so much crave renunciation and have had many times in the last couple of years where I have spent a couple months at a time so free of desire and so full of love. Renunciation? More and more my biggest desire is to be free of

desire.

* I thank you for this opportunity for introspection.

8. Make a comment on taking your health into your own hands.

Last week I heard that a group of obese people filed a class action suit against fast food retailers claiming that fast foods were addictive and the reason why they were obese. In the western world, we so easily shift the blame onto others, which explains the rise in the number of lawyers and lawsuits. I find this lawsuit absolutely ridiculous. The way I see it is that we are each responsible for our own health. The fact that fast food outlets are there doesn’t mean that they are making us buy their products, we give into temptation and choose to indulge. And if

we choose to eat fast foods regularly, then we must accept the responsibility of our choice. Addiction is a disease of the mind and in this regards, one can become addicted to anything. If we choose health, we will take the necessary steps to help us achieve this goal. Whining and complaining about the state our health is easy, doing something about it is harder.

9. What is the difference between and Asana, Kriya and Mudra?

Asana: getting into a posture, the benefit comes from holding

Kriya: the benefit of increased blood and lymph circulation comes from the movement or action performed while in a posture

Mudra: neuromuscular gesture forcing activity of the involuntary musculature of the body which in turn triggers off a glandular response from one or more of the endocrine glands.

What is the meaning of the mystic symbol Aum?

Aum stands for the culmination of everything in existence as one and the origin of that oneness before it began. Aum is an experience and any attempt at describing or educating the meaning of Aum is futile as only the experience can give adequate knowledge. Aum is not just the symbol but its meaning as well, which cannot be ever described. In a poem I wrote I said no words short of infinite meaning can describe God, this would be an appropriate statement for the Mystic Symbol Aum.

11. Review the meaning of the terms Samskaras and Vasanas?

Samskaras are habits, which are created by Vasanas, or impressions on our sub-conscious brain. These Vasanas are said to be of three kinds. Loka Vasana, pride or misery that stems from our station in life. Deha Vasana or vanity of the body, and Vidya Vasana, vanity due to knowledge.

Why is the Nirodha from these tendencies necessary?

It is these tendencies that keep us locked in this cycle of life and death, Samsara. It is our delusion that feeds these tendencies and prevents us from seeing what is real and when these tendencies become strong, they are what create our birth in lower worlds such as hell. But even if not strong enough for this they still breed nothing but misery.

13. Describe Shat Chakra Pranayama.

· Inhale and visualize prana rising from the base of the spine up through the 6 Chakras along the spine.

· Exhale and visualize prana descending through the same 6 Chakras.

· A retained or suspended breath can be added appropriately at the top/bottom of the cycle (Ajna or Muladhara Chakra).

· Lower Chakras are associated with the physical nervous system and glandular bodies.

14. Detail Chakra Meditation.

· Laying in Shavasana and breathing deeply is a great way to prepare for a sitting meditation.

· Sit in Vajra Asana or any sitting position where spine is erect.

· Deep yogic breaths, concentrate on each Chakra starting from Muladhara (base of spine) upwards to Sahasrara Chakra (top of head).

· With time and practice each center will fill with light, sound and colour.

· When at Sahasrara Chakra, and lungs are completely filled, retain breath for as long as you comfortably can.

· Release breath continue concentrating on highest Chakra (1000 Petalled Lotus). Hold the idea of sitting in the midst of a beautiful pink 1000 petalled lotus flower. Breathe whichever way comes naturally. Hold the visualization as long as you can.

· Sit facing East at sunrise otherwise sit North

15. Write a short explanation of the Chakras.

· There are 7 major charkas within the body. A Chakra is a vortex of moving energy that stimulates various endocrine organs within the body to secrete hormones into the bloodstream. Hormones control our body and our state of mind.

· We are more than a physical body we are a complete energy system that unites all levels of being into an energetic totality

· A Chakra is like a filtration system, it purifies our energy from a gross physical plane and transforms it into the spiritual plane that connects us with the source of life itself.

· The Chakra system is like a ladder that takes us from the physical realm of substance up through the workings of the higher mind and spirit and into the realm of Divine consciousness.

· Charkas are connected through a system of Nadis, aural conduits into which the energy flows.

· Through spiritual practices Kundalini energy that is coiled like a snake at the base of the spine (Muladhara Chakra) raises up until it reaches the highest Chakra (Sahasrara Chakra). If the energy stays there permanently it is said that one has achieved cosmic consciousness.

Yogacharya Dr.Ananda Balayogi Bhavanani

MBBS, ADY, DSM, DPC, PGDFH

Chairman

Yoganjali Natyalayam and ICYER

25,2nd Cross,Iyyanar Nagar, Pondicherry-605 013

Tel: 0413 - 2622902 / 0413 -2241561

Win a $20,000 Career Makeover at HotJobs