IndiaDivine.org

A comment on the claims made on the practice of Loma-Viloma

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Dear Sri Bala

Many thanks for initiating a good discussion on Gitananda yoga

I have no doubts on your note taking abilities nor your competence at all but feel a few points need to be clarified

Swamijis explanation that cancer is due to changes in the ionic balance of the cells and that Loma Viloma by re- creating homeostasis (samatwam) can help in such patients is quite plausible but studies on patients was never a favorite of Swamiji as he felt yoga students must be healthy in the first place (Quite unlike most people coming to yoga today)

Of course there have been a few of Swamijis students who had remission of cancers that I know of and it is a tribute to Swamiji that he never really made them guinea pigs for his experiments but let them enjoy their life with yoga!

To claim that Nadi Shuddhi and Nadi Shoddhana involve only the body and mind and that it does not incorporate the spirit (Self-Consciousness) is unacceptable to me because Swamiji has taught us that yoga is

awareness and No Yoga practice can be single kosha. All real yoga is pancha kosha in effect when done with awareness

Pranayama with long ratios without the bandhas is dangerous and your experience must be an eye opener for many others trying out such dangerous forceful paths. Swamiji was of the opinion that a slow and steady approach was the need of the hour in all practices

I accept that doing a few times a practice will not suffice to make any difference for any condition and have personally seen in our research that it takes between 6 to 10 weeks for the physical benefits to occur. Of course psychological benefits occur much earlier in the practice. We must never forget that healing takes time and time heals a lot of wounds!

Regarding the mucus at nerve endings, it is more in relation to the blocking of the impulses by the so called waste matters (sthoola-mala-kapha) that Swamiji would have meant and the literal meaning of nervous system having mucus is not implied at all

Thanks for your concern that Swamijis message reach all in a clear and precise manner

Yours in yoga

Yogacharya Dr.Ananda Balayogi Bhavanani

Chairman : Yoganjali Natyalayam and ICYER

25,2nd Cross,Iyyanar Nagar, Pondicherry-605 013

Tel: 0413 - 2622902 / 0413 -2241561

www.geocities.com/yognat2001/i_am_here

Vote for the stars of 's next ad campaign!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest guest

"To claim that Nadi Shuddhi and Nadi Shoddhana involve only the body and mind and that it does not incorporate the spirit (Self-Consciousness) is unacceptable to me because Swamiji has taught us that yoga is awareness and No Yoga practice can be single kosha. All real yoga is pancha kosha in effect when done with awareness"

Dear Ananda,

I was only trying to bring the subtle difference between doing Nadi Shuddhi and Nadi Shoddhana with awareness and doing Pranava AUM Pranayama with awareness.

In the first instance we are primarily only involving the body and mind, whereas in the latter we are involving body, mind and self-consciousness .

Whereas in the first in my humble opinion and experience, we are only integrating body and mind, but in the latter we are not only integrating body, mind and self-consciousness but are transcending the wakeful, dream and deep sleep states of conscioisness and moving into the fourth state , Turiya, which I call the state of causal silence within. In doing this we activate the chakras enhancing their psychic qualities and transforming our personality and character. We neutralise the traumas and tensions of this and previous births stored in the chakras and initiate a procress of healing at the physical, astral and causal planes of existence. Herein we also rise above the body and conscious mind, negate ego consciuosness and attune to to a higher state of Consciousness. It is an experience of a life time!

I wholly agree with Swamiji' s observation that Yoga Therapy is more developing physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually, like in Yoga. The healing is only a by-product. That is the big difference between Swamiji's teachings and all the other gurus.

Sorry I could not get back to you earlier. If you differ from me please feel free to state it. I am always open to correction, as I always remain a student.

Thanks

love

Sri Bala.

-

Dr.Ananda Bhavanani

Sunday, July 18, 2004 10:18 PM

Re: A comment on the claims made on the practice of Loma-Viloma

Dear Sri Bala

Many thanks for initiating a good discussion on Gitananda yoga

I have no doubts on your note taking abilities nor your competence at all but feel a few points need to be clarified

Swamijis explanation that cancer is due to changes in the ionic balance of the cells and that Loma Viloma by re- creating homeostasis (samatwam) can help in such patients is quite plausible but studies on patients was never a favorite of Swamiji as he felt yoga students must be healthy in the first place (Quite unlike most people coming to yoga today)

Of course there have been a few of Swamijis students who had remission of cancers that I know of and it is a tribute to Swamiji that he never really made them guinea pigs for his experiments but let them enjoy their life with yoga!

To claim that Nadi Shuddhi and Nadi Shoddhana involve only the body and mind and that it does not incorporate the spirit (Self-Consciousness) is unacceptable to me because Swamiji has taught us that yoga is awareness and No Yoga practice can be single kosha. All real yoga is pancha kosha in effect when done with awareness

Pranayama with long ratios without the bandhas is dangerous and your experience must be an eye opener for many others trying out such dangerous forceful paths. Swamiji was of the opinion that a slow and steady approach was the need of the hour in all practices

I accept that doing a few times a practice will not suffice to make any difference for any condition and have personally seen in our research that it takes between 6 to 10 weeks for the physical benefits to occur. Of course psychological benefits occur much earlier in the practice. We must never forget that healing takes time and time heals a lot of wounds!

Regarding the mucus at nerve endings, it is more in relation to the blocking of the impulses by the so called waste matters (sthoola-mala-kapha) that Swamiji would have meant and the literal meaning of nervous system having mucus is not implied at all

Thanks for your concern that Swamijis message reach all in a clear and precise manner

Yours in yoga

Yogacharya Dr.Ananda Balayogi Bhavanani

Chairman : Yoganjali Natyalayam and ICYER

25,2nd Cross,Iyyanar Nagar, Pondicherry-605 013

Tel: 0413 - 2622902 / 0413 -2241561

www.geocities.com/yognat2001/i_am_here

Vote for the stars of 's next ad campaign! "Health and Happiness are your birthright, claim them through Rishiculture Ashtanga Yoga" -Yogamaharishi Dr Swami Gitananda Giri

Guest guest

A recent phrase in this e-mail from Sri Bala caught my attention recently when

he wrote: “we neutralize the traumas and tensions of this and previous births

stored in the charkas....†The passage threw a charming picture into my

mind’s eye of a little cartoon character trudging from body to body struggling

to manage a bag of sandwiches, the embalmed family cat, and a big satchel full

of charkas.

The charkas are in fact purely cosmic not karmic, and as such are the requisite

stepping stones for our journey back to the source. As Swamiji used to say,

“95 percent of our karma is generated in this lifetime.†That’s why the

way we live is so important. It becomes a convenient excuse to think we are

laboring under a mountain of debt because we squandered the serfs’ rents on an

extra palace 8 lifetimes ago, when in fact it is much more likely we just

can’t organize our finances in this one. These tensions and traumas, actually

memories, are stored in the cells of the body, particularly along the spinal

column. When the prana leaves the body these samskaras are left behind. It is

not until the mind takes up residence in a new body that the karmic imprint of

that mind can resume its established patterns.