IndiaDivine.org

What about the Yama-Niyama?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I thought that Yoga already had its own Yama-Niyama?

ananda

Yoga Instructor Adds Etiquette to Kids' Yoga Classhttp://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite? RICHMOND, VIRGINIA, August 10, 2004: Emma Brodeur's mission was to introduce her two friends and suggest something for them to talk about, begins this entertaining article."Catherine, I'd like to introduce you to my friend Taku," 12-year-old Emma said politely. Taku Harada, 8, stood from his chair and made eye contact with Catherine McGuigan, 8. They extended hands and shook vigorously. Emma continued. "Did you know you both like . . .catfish?" "Catfish?!" Taku and Catherine exclaimed, laughing andfalling to the floor.Formal introductions was the first of several lessons last week for nine rambunctious 7-to 12-year-olds at a manners and etiquette daycamp

in western Henrico County. Nancy Glenmore Tatum, owner and director of Glenmore Yoga & Wellness Center, and her son, Charles Igel, instructed the children on how to properly conduct themselves, especially around adults.Tatum plans to incorporate the manners and etiquette lessons into a yoga program for children. Whereas yoga is a way of relaxing and becoming comfortable with oneself, Tatum said, manners and etiquette can help one feel comfortable around others. The session, which included role-playing exercises in making introductions and dining etiquette, was challenging for the children as they struggled to hold back silly outbursts and contain their tendency to run around theroom.

During several breaks, Tatum taught the students yoga poses to calmand refocus them. Several children breathed deeply in the dimly lit room, listening to the sound of a fountain bubbling in the corner. Theyoga, however, didn't work for everybody.When the lesson resumed, Igel reviewed the steps of a proper introduction and prepared to demonstrate. In the meantime, several students couldn't help but practice a half handstand, sticking their feet in the air and falling over giggling. Igel, a fifth-gradeteacher who taught manners and etiquette for four years in Littleton, Colo., said such things take time. "The idea is to infuse a littleetiquette into the children. It starts small and then builds," he said. Hesaid the first challenge is overcoming the perception that manners and etiquette aren't cool, a message conveyed on

television shows and in music. "What we see in the media doesn't help either by focusing on individual needs rather than societal or group needs," Igel said. Gemma Davimes, 10, said she most enjoyed learning how to introduce herself to others. "I learned that you should shake their hand and look at them," Gemma said. In an age where silverware at many sit-down restaurants comes rolled in a paper napkin, 9-year-old Sam Brodeursaid he found the lessons on how to properly sit at a table and negotiate a formal place-setting helpful. "I learned how to use a bunch of utensils at a restaurant," Sam said. His sister, Emma, said she learned to appreciate the importance of exhibiting proper behavior. "People might not show as much respect for you if you don't have good manners," Emma said.

Yogacharya Dr.Ananda Balayogi Bhavanani

Chairman : Yoganjali Natyalayam and ICYER

25,2nd Cross,Iyyanar Nagar, Pondicherry-605 013

Tel: 0413 - 2622902 / 0413 -2241561

www.geocities.com/yognat2001/i_am_here

Mail is new and improved - Check it out!