IndiaDivine.org

Amazing India and sanskrit phobia in a yoga practitioner/teacher?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

this just stuns me as it is an exampole of the Amazing India and sanskrit phobia in a yoga practitioner/teacher?

ananda

worldyoganetwork wrote:

Sat, 18 Sep 2004 03:09:25 -0000drdaryl

Re: Digest Number 24worldyoganetwork , "Dr.Ananda Bhavanani" wrote:> divine selfNo, call me Daryl. Speak like a normal person.> it doesnt matter what nationality God is for each thinks that his god is supreme and that is the crux of most problems today> however any one having any knowledge of yoga and its tradition and history well knows its link to india-why are all yoga terms sanskritand not egyptian or chinese?No one is denying yoga's link to India, Mr Bhavanani. My point is that all are equal in God. India does not own a monopoly on God nor is it the abode of God on earth. It may be the abode of prostitutes, violent fundamentalists and pagans who will worship anything and everything including cow dung, but the potential for Realization lies in each one of us. Color of skin, the language that we speak or the cult that we belong to don't make

anyone less special.And as to your question why all yoga terms are Sanskrit and not Chinese or Egyptian then why is it, may I ask you, that all Chess terminologies are English and not Chinese or Indian? Is that the kind of logic that you use to study history? Why don't you conduct a personal unbiased research on this matter?> follow what you want but if it is yoga dont take india out of it please!That is a contradictory statement, Mr. Bhavanani. You said "follow what you want" then "but ... don't take India out of it." What if "what I want" is to take India out of it? How can I follow what I want when after you gave me the freedom to do so you then put a restriction? This is the kind of nonsense manipulation that you Indian "yogis" are doing to the civilized world in the name of spiritual growth.Yoga is slipping out of Mother India's hands, there are realized Americans and practitioners from other

nations for example who are a hundred times better in form, understanding and transmission than many of your so-called Masters. But you should not be sad about it, this is expansion not competition. Yoga was never your personal property.Rest assured that I won't take India out of it, but I want you to realize that divine potential or the "divine self" you fancy addressing your messages to is not exclusive to one race only.> ananda!__________Message: 3 Sat, 18 Sep 2004 00:54:03 -0400"universalyoga" RE: Re: Digest Number 24No one is denying yoga's link to India, Mr Bhavanani. My point is that all are equal in God. India does not own a monopoly on God nor is it the abode of God on earth.

>>> I can agree with your point that India does not own a monopoly onGod. But the practitioners of Hinduism do have the right to believethat it is the abode of God, just as numerous other cultures have hadtheir sacred sites and pilgrimage sites, it is sown into the fabric ofthe culture to convey teachings, principles and meet the needs of themasses. These similar ideas (sacred sites, pilgrimage site) haveappeared within numerous cultures throughout the world and throughoutrecorded history. Appearing within the Native American, Mayan, andAztec traditions of the western hemisphere. Each culture had had theright to preserve their traditions, and sacred beliefs. These issues ofwhat is the higher approach can and have been debated for millennia, butpeople are at different levels of consciousness and are attracted todifferent approaches (such as Advaita, Vishtadvaita, and Dvaita) to meetthe needs of that particular time,

or space. The need for a feeling ofsacredness with an area or geographical location is acceptable for thosethat need that approach, as for many the senses are externally flowingand they have yet to master the redirection of the senses. From anAdvaita view these external points are merely reflections of internalspiritual points, so the advaitist will turn inward, but to the dualistthey represent a different view. It may be the abode of prostitutes, violent fundamentalists and pagans who will worship anything and everything including cow dung, but the potential for Realization lies in each one of us. >>>The same can be said for every country, additionally America has itsshare of violent fundamentalists, this is easily illustrated by thenumerous bombings of abortion clients that have been linked tofundamentalists groups and fundamentalist mentality and other groups aswell. Likewise the potential for

realization has always been present.Cow dung in the form of vibhuti has been a vehicle to transmit healingenergy for thousands of years. Is it required? No. Again it is just atool to help the masses or some people on their journey of spiritualrealization. there are realized Americans and practitioners from other nations forexample who are a hundred times better in form, understanding and transmission than many of your so-called Masters. >>> In my personal observation, Americans are relatively untrained as tothe actual workings of yoga. But I would agree that masters doincarnate within many different cultures. Certification as a teachercan be performed in as little as weekend, with some teachers. Whilethere are attempts being made to increase the level of training, whichis a good step, the requirement of 200 hours barely scratches thesurface of yoga. The majority of teachers are only exposed to the

"YogaSutras of Patanjali" which is a text that can have a great deal of depthif the Sanskrit language is explored, most are not taught the deepermeanings of the texts, and very few teachers realize that there was alineage of Patanjali and commentaries written by his disciples on theYoga Sutras. Within the United States the vast majority of yogateachers are asana teachers. Even within Patanjali's sutras asana wasnot intended to be practiced alone. Patanjali included a need tosurrender to God within the Niyamas, indicating a religious component ofhis yoga sutras. But most practitioners do not acknowledge a spiritualcomponent within the "Yoga Sutras" Within the Hatha Pradipka, a main Hatha Yoga text, we find deity namessuch as Brahmaa,Vishnu and Rudra (67) (one may not be into deities, butthey are universal principle's and we do deal with those energies in theyoga process), additionally we find Ayurvedic terms such as Vata,

Pitta,and a reference to Kapha (66). And Ayurveda is a Vedanga to the Vedas.The deity names contain important teachings about the subject they arebeing connected to in the sukta, sloka, sutra or other writing. Theproblem appears to me that by losing the term other important conceptsand ideas/teachings that go with the term become lost. As an exampleVata (ether/air), it is more than just ether/air, its more subtle formis prana, and the active principle behind this would be the Vedic Vayu.To me the Vedic/Sanskrit terms allow for an easy or consistenttransmission of teachings, and maintain a certain clarity of conceptsand principle's within the yoga system. Additionally, as with anylanguage, various terms do not always translate well into English orother languages. As an example, Moksha or Muksha is often translated assalvation. But salvation is not a Hindu concept, but liberation is.Salvation appears only as a late medieval

concept due to translations bypeople of other religions. Some could say that salvation is liberation,but there is a totally different energy, intent, and mind-set betweenthe two terms. The terms and roots of yoga are clearly recorded within the Vedas whichis the oldest record we have of yoga. While not associated with justIndia in its present day borders, but part of larger Vedic culture, itis largely agreed that the Vedic homeland and Sarasvati river was in thenorth central to northwestern region of what is currently known asIndia. This is referenced as well in the oldest Tibetan teachingsdating prior to Buddhism who referred to their teachings as having comefrom the west just across the mountains, which places them in the Vedichomeland. The Vedic Aryans were the inhabitants of this region, andvery few to the Aryan invasion theory anymore. So to me whenwe say remember India, it is remembering the tradition and

preservingthe knowledge that India has worked so hard to preserve for humanity. So America is working hard at yoga, yet it is still in its infancy atmaking the vast array of teachings that belong to yoga available toteachers or the masses. So if we remove these teachings, terms etc.from yoga, we will not have yoga as it has been taught for thousands ofyears, and we will not have a new hybrid for self-realization, we willhave an exercise program. But yoga as recorded and preserved throughthe Sanatana Dharma tradition was not presented as an exercise program.And even an exercise program taught improperly can have damagingeffects. Respectfully,Yogi Harinam Baba Prem Tom BealFounder/DirectorUniversal Yoga Phone 407.521.5047e-mail universalyogahttp://www.floridavedicinstitute.com

__________Message: 7 Sat, 18 Sep 2004 18:22:00 -0000"Premabrahmananda" Re: Digest Number 24To realize the higher truths of Yoga, yoga texts or Scriptures is notnecessary. We could have two yoga practitioners. One of them studies all theyoga-related texts of India. The second doesn't read them, and putsall that extra time into his meditation practice or Yoga Sadhana. The first became intellectually weighed down because of all theknowledge in his head. The second became realized within a few yearsbecause of his disciplined efforts to reach, realize and actualizeBrahman-Atman.> >>> In my personal observation, Americans are relatively untrained as to> the actual workings of yoga.

But I would agree that masters do> incarnate within many different cultures. Certification as a teacher> can be performed in as little as weekend, with some teachers. While> there are attempts being made to increase the level of training, which> is a good step, the requirement of 200 hours barely scratches the> surface of yoga. The majority of teachers are only exposed to the "Yoga> Sutras of Patanjali" which is a text that can have a great deal of depth> if the Sanskrit language is explored, most are not taught the deeper> meanings of the texts, and very few teachers realize that there was a> lineage of Patanjali and commentaries written by his disciples on the> Yoga Sutras. Within the United States the vast majority of yoga> teachers are asana teachers. Even within Patanjali's sutras asana was> not intended to be practiced alone. Patanjali included a need to> surrender to God within the

Niyamas, indicating a religious component of> his yoga sutras. But most practitioners do not acknowledge a spiritual> component within the "Yoga Sutras" ______________________

Yogacharya Dr.Ananda Balayogi Bhavanani

Chairman : Yoganjali Natyalayam and ICYER

25,2nd Cross,Iyyanar Nagar, Pondicherry-605 013

Tel: 0413 - 2622902 / 0413 -2241561

www.geocities.com/yognat2001/i_am_here

New and Improved Mail - Send 10MB messages!

Dear Dr. Ananda,

There is nothing surprising in the statements made.

Everyone has not had the fortune of coming face to

face with great teachers like swamiji.

It is in their great presence and nearness that one

understands what is yoga in the real sense.

He was a living example of a rare personality who

taught much more than any of the scriptures, he spoke,

taught and practised yoga beyond the scriptures .

How i wished those speaking about sanskrit actually

listened to him and heard him chant mantras in

sanskrit.

I inherited sanskrit in my DNA but of what use.

It was swamiji who pushed me to further my interests

when he emphasised our birthrights.

He was there to correct us whenever we made mistakes

in pronounciation, and when i was a bit put off, he

came gently to me and explained to me how the same

word in sanskrit uttered in 3 different ways have

different vibrations and he finally said, go inside

and find out its effects on you

..This message from our friend makes me proud that i

had the rare oppurtunity of witnessing one of the

greatest teachers of yoga in Swamiji.

Narasimhan

--- " Yogacharya Dr.Ananda Bhavanani "

<yognat2001 wrote:

> this just stuns me as it is an exampole of the

> Amazing India and sanskrit phobia in a yoga

> practitioner/teacher?

> ananda

>

> worldyoganetwork wrote:

> Sat, 18 Sep 2004 03:09:25 -0000

> drdaryl

> Re: Digest Number 24

>

> worldyoganetwork , " Dr.Ananda

> Bhavanani "

> wrote:

> > divine self

>

> No, call me Daryl. Speak like a normal person.

>

> > it doesnt matter what nationality God is for each

> thinks that his

> god is supreme and that is the crux of most problems

> today

> > however any one having any knowledge of yoga and

> its tradition and

> history well knows its link to india-why are all

> yoga terms

> sanskritand not egyptian or chinese?

>

> No one is denying yoga's link to India, Mr

> Bhavanani. My point is

> that all are equal in God. India does not own a

> monopoly on God nor

> is it the abode of God on earth. It may be the abode

> of prostitutes,

> violent fundamentalists and pagans who will worship

> anything and

> everything including cow dung, but the potential for

> Realization lies

> in each one of us. Color of skin, the language that

> we speak or the

> cult that we belong to don't make anyone less

> special.

>

> And as to your question why all yoga terms are

> Sanskrit and not

> Chinese or Egyptian then why is it, may I ask you,

> that all Chess

> terminologies are English and not Chinese or Indian?

> Is that the kind

> of logic that you use to study history? Why don't

> you conduct a

> personal unbiased research on this matter?

>

> > follow what you want but if it is yoga dont take

> india out of it

> please!

>

> That is a contradictory statement, Mr. Bhavanani.

> You said " follow

> what you want " then " but ... don't take India out of

> it. " What

> if " what I want " is to take India out of it? How can

> I follow what I

> want when after you gave me the freedom to do so you

> then put a

> restriction? This is the kind of nonsense

> manipulation that you

> Indian " yogis " are doing to the civilized world in

> the name of

> spiritual growth.

>

> Yoga is slipping out of Mother India's hands, there

> are realized

> Americans and practitioners from other nations for

> example who are a

> hundred times better in form, understanding and

> transmission than

> many of your so-called Masters. But you should not

> be sad about it,

> this is expansion not competition. Yoga was never

> your personal

> property.

>

> Rest assured that I won't take India out of it, but

> I want you to

> realize that divine potential or the " divine self "

> you fancy

> addressing your messages to is not exclusive to one

> race only.

>

> > ananda!

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Message: 3

> Sat, 18 Sep 2004 00:54:03 -0400

> " universalyoga "

> RE: Re: Digest Number 24

>

>

>

> No one is denying yoga's link to India, Mr

> Bhavanani. My point is

> that all are equal in God. India does not own a

> monopoly on God nor

> is it the abode of God on earth.

>

> >>> I can agree with your point that India does not

> own a monopoly on

> God. But the practitioners of Hinduism do have the

> right to believe

> that it is the abode of God, just as numerous other

> cultures have had

> their sacred sites and pilgrimage sites, it is sown

> into the fabric of

> the culture to convey teachings, principles and meet

> the needs of the

> masses. These similar ideas (sacred sites,

> pilgrimage site) have

> appeared within numerous cultures throughout the

> world and throughout

> recorded history. Appearing within the Native

> American, Mayan, and

> Aztec traditions of the western hemisphere. Each

> culture had had the

> right to preserve their traditions, and sacred

> beliefs. These issues of

> what is the higher approach can and have been

> debated for millennia, but

> people are at different levels of consciousness and

> are attracted to

> different approaches (such as Advaita, Vishtadvaita,

> and Dvaita) to meet

> the needs of that particular time, or space. The

> need for a feeling of

> sacredness with an area or geographical location is

> acceptable for those

> that need that approach, as for many the senses are

> externally flowing

> and they have yet to master the redirection of the

> senses. From an

> Advaita view these external points are merely

> reflections of internal

> spiritual points, so the advaitist will turn inward,

> but to the dualist

> they represent a different view.

>

> It may be the abode of prostitutes,

> violent fundamentalists and pagans who will worship

> anything and

> everything including cow dung, but the potential for

> Realization lies

> in each one of us.

>

> >>>The same can be said for every country,

> additionally America has its

> share of violent fundamentalists, this is easily

> illustrated by the

> numerous bombings of abortion clients that have been

> linked to

> fundamentalists groups and fundamentalist mentality

> and other groups as

> well. Likewise the potential for realization has

> always been present.

> Cow dung in the form of vibhuti has been a vehicle

> to transmit healing

> energy for thousands of years. Is it required? No.

> Again it is just a

> tool to help the masses or some people on their

> journey of spiritual

> realization.

>

>

> there are realized Americans and practitioners from

> other nations for

> example who are a

> hundred times better in form, understanding and

> transmission than

> many of your so-called Masters.

>

> >>> In my personal observation, Americans are

> relatively untrained as to

> the actual workings of yoga. But I would agree that

> masters do

> incarnate within many different cultures.

> Certification as a teacher

> can be performed in as little as weekend, with some

> teachers. While

> there are attempts being made to increase the level

> of training, which

> is a good step, the requirement of 200 hours barely

> scratches the

> surface of yoga. The majority of teachers are only

> exposed to the " Yoga

> Sutras of Patanjali " which is a text that can have a

> great deal of depth

> if the Sanskrit language is explored, most are not