IndiaDivine.org

Another short one by Amma

Rate this topic

Guest guest

MADE IN HEAVEN..BUT NOT SEEN ON EARTH

By Meenakshi Devi Bhavanani

Perhaps it is because marriages are made in heaven, that it is so difficult to witness them on earth. My contacts, which flow through the spectrum of lowly street sweepers up into the higher echelons of pomp and power ensure me a steady stream of marriage invitations. Oddly enough, though I attend at least thirty marriages a year, I must say in the last five years that I have rarely actually seen any of the sacred rituals, including tying of the Mangala Sutra, exchange of garlands, seven steps around the fire and so on.

You might ask, how is that possible? No, I did not arrive late, nor did I distract myself with gossip at the vital moment. Nor did I dose off, or dash out to enjoy the banquet before the hordes descended upon it.

The plain and simple fact is that on nearly every occasion the young couple has been effectively hidden from the view of their hundreds of doting relatives and friends, by the hefty, trendily dressed muscular bodies of innumerable cameramen, both still cameras and video. T’is true, if one wrangles a seat in the very front, one may be fortunate enough to catch a fleeting glimpse of the coy bride’s demure smile, when one or the other of the camera men opens his legs in a brash, cinematic stance to catch a “spectacular shot”, but those two thick trunks of legs soon enough close back together and one is again unable to see the forest for the trees.

As a sop to those who have braved the hazards of city traffic and the discomfort of rising in un-earthly hours to be physically present at the auspicious moment, television cameras are sometimes placed strategically around the marriage hall. Such rare images as close ups of two halves of a broken coconut, or the groom slyly picking his nose, or the bride yawning, showing her unadorned tonsils in multi-coloured splendour, do alleviate the boredom of staring at the big broad burley backs. At one wedding I attended the video man must have fallen asleep, as the image on all televised proceedings was the constant focus on a plate of fruit for ten minutes. At times, when having consoled myself with this poor substitute for the “real thing”, I settle earnestly back to watching the small screen, I see instead wavy lines, multi-coloured dots and distorted, monster-like images. Horrors! The T.V.

set is on the blink!

After the Nadaswaram blare auspicious notes and the people rise as one to shower rice on the broad backs of the cameramen (they must be very prosperous with all the blessings they receive at each and every wedding), it is always a relief to be allowed to come to the marriage dais and actually see the young couple in living person. The feeling is somewhat akin to meeting one’s favourite cinema star on the street, an image made flesh.

This experience is so common, I have hit upon a brilliant plan. I’ll simply send my gift by courier service to the marriage hall, and ask the couple in turn, to post me the videotape of the coverage of their marriage at their convenience. (Along with a packet of marriage sweets). I can then settle back comfortably on my sofa, at a time of my own choosing, with a hot cup of coffee in one hand, the marriage sweets in the other. Comfortably attired in a housedress, relaxed and at ease, I can view the whole proceedings with an unimpeded view.

Now…that…is a heavenly idea!

Yogacharya Dr.Ananda Balayogi Bhavanani

Chairman : Yoganjali Natyalayam and ICYER

25,2nd Cross,Iyyanar Nagar, Pondicherry-605 013

Tel: 0413 - 2622902 / 0413 -2241561

www.geocities.com/yognat2001/i_am_here

vote. - Register online to vote today!