Rate this topic

Guest guest

To

The Editor

The Hindu

Chennai

November 17th, 2004

Sir:

Regarding news item Yoga Not A Sport (pg 3 / Nov 16) issue of The Hindu. One is tempted to quote the Guru Saiva Subramaniya who once said, “Isn’t ignorance wonderful.” One is also reminded of the proverb, “A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.” These words are especially appropriate in the fast – expanding field of Yoga. Literally “everyone and their dog” considers themselves an expert on the subject. Short courses abound, Yoga centres are springing up like mushrooms, and the arrogant – ignorant proclaim their “own way as the only way.” Another phrase comes to mind in this context. “The tyranny of the ignorant mind.” It may be seen that the more ignorant the mind, the more determined it is to foist its own

opinions and views on others. This is the root of all fundamentalism of whatever hue. Unfortunately, these “ignorant minds” have now turned their attention to Yoga, and insist that Yoga must be exactly what they decide it to be, neither more nor less. This narrow, bigoted view has no place in Yoga, which embraces the Universe, and holds all things, all opposites, all dualities, all the Dwandwas within its own benevolent spirit. Everything is contained within Yoga. One could quote Walt Whitman, the great American poet, in this regard, when he wrote in his epic poem “Leaves of Grass”. “I contradict myself, very well then, I contradict myself. I am large. I contain multitudes.” Yoga, which is the spiritual science of conscious evolution, also contains Yoga Therapy, Yoga Scholarship, Yoga academic degrees, Yoga Festivals, Yoga Dance – why can it not contain. “Yoga Sports” to sublimate the natural competitive urge and use it to promote excellence in Asanas? In our country

95% of the children have no physical training at all, they cannot afford costly equipment, nor do they have access to big stadiums or playing fields, or swimming pools. At least our children can satisfy their natural urge to excel and prove themselves in Asanas. They can travel, meet others, learn, watch others perform and enjoy healthy stimulation in such events which are otherwise denied them. Yoga Sports is not the whole of Yoga. It is a branch of Yoga. And Yoga is a tree with a multitude of branches. One prays that the “ignorant minds amongst us” do not cut that magnificent tree down, simply to produce fuel to warm their own egos!

Yours in Yoga,

Yogacharini

Meenakshi Devi Bhavanani, International Centre For Yoga Education and Research,

(ICYER) Pondicherry

Yogacharya Dr.Ananda Balayogi Bhavanani

Chairman : Yoganjali Natyalayam and ICYER

25,2nd Cross,Iyyanar Nagar, Pondicherry-605 013

Tel: 0413 - 2622902 / 0413 -2241561

www.geocities.com/yognat2001/i_am_here

Discover all that’s new in My