IndiaDivine.org

Fw: Muslim tailors clothe Hindu deities in Vrindavan .:. New Kerala - India's Top Online Newspaper

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Dear Sadhak,

For your information and inspiration.

love

Sri Bala

Founder, Vibrational Breath Therapy

www.vbt.com.au

- Mano

Sunday, August 07, 2005 8:35 PM

Muslim tailors clothe Hindu deities in Vrindavan .:. New Kerala - India's Top Online Newspaper

Vanakham: If only all the countries follow this example!http://www.newkerala.com/news.php?action=fullnews & id=11662

Welcome to "new kerala .com" News Channel ! Visit us daily for latest news and information.

Kerala News India News World News Business News Bollywood News Hollywood News Sports News Health News Technology News Travel News News Feed

Kerala RecipesPhoto GalleryPhoto NewsMalayalam SongsEmailKerala MatrimonyKerala Real EstateKerala EmploymentKerala AutomobilesSupport

NewKerala: Muslim tailors clothe Hindu deities in Vrindavan

Home > News > India News Posted on 05 Aug 2005 # ANI

Muslim tailors clothe Hindu deities in Vrindavan

By Brajesh Singh, Vrindavan: For generations hundreds of Muslims in Vrindavan are engaged in stitching clothes for Hindu deities. For the 700-odd Muslim men of the holy town, embroidering, adding motifs and sequins and tailoring resplendent attires for the idols is a way of life. Working with sincerity and devotion, their respect for these deities is as much as their Hindu brothers. Ikram, a Muslim dressmaker says that devotion to work is the best form of worship. “I make dresses for gods and goddesses. I don’t believe in religious differences. My devotion lies not in being a Hindu or a Muslim, but in my work,” says Ikram. The Muslim artists command high respect among the Hindus who feel that the tailors help in fighting the communal divide. “They (Muslims) are devoted to the God. In a way, they are serving the Almighty. I feel really happy and believe that it’s a way of fostering communal harmony and brotherhood among masses. I have great respect for them,” says Sumirandan Das, a Hindu saint. The silk and fancy attires made by Muslim artists are also exported to a number of foreign countries. The annual business is worth 20 million rupees. “The dresses are exported to New Jersey, Washington DC, Houston, Kenya and Italy. In India, the dresses are supplied to several temples such as Birla temple of Calcutta, ISCKON (international society for Krishna consciousness) temple of Bombay and even Vrindavan,” says Anil Khandelwal, a dress designer. Vrindavan, the abode of Lord Krishna, is primarily a place of temples, having nearly 4,000 shrines. According to mythology, Lord Krishna spent his childhood in Vrindavan and it was here that Krishna indulged in adolescent pranks with the milkmaids.

Copyright 2001-2005 newkerala.com | Contact Us | Make "New Kerala" your homepage