IndiaDivine.org

Meditation is not free from side-effects

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Meditation is bliss, if done correctly.

There are important prerequisites to be done before one meditates.

With my limited exposure to some nine schools of yoga and meditation during the forty years I’ve been learning and practising yoga, it was only from revered Dr Swami Gitananda Giriji, an authority on Pranayama, that I learnt the need to open the ribcage by doing Hathenas (forcing breathing techniques), and breathe in Mahat Yoga Pranayama (the classical and scientific complete yogic breath) into the frontal, side and back lobes of the electromagnetic field (Pranamaya Kosha) at the lower, mid and upper lungs to energize every single cell. (When the breathing is done in different ratios it generates healthy blood, glandular and bodily fluid cells and regenerates and rejuvenates the physical body). And to chant the primal sound AUM in Pranava AUM Pranayama (while breathing as above) to give the vibratory resonant frequency of the three planes of existence needed by the cell to experience a state of natural health and wellbeing.

The breathing in Mahat Yoga Pranayama is done at the Pranamaya Kosha or electromagnetic field. It restores the health of the electromagnetic field, the vital body, which manifests as good physical and mental health. And the Hathenas also progressively make the body flexible and supple to sit stable for longer periods of time.

The chanting of A, U & M gives the frequencies of physical body, universe and a wakeful state of consciousness (A), mind, cosmic mind and a dream state of consciousness (U), and self-consciousness, cosmic consciousness and a deep sleep state of consciousness (M).

What the chanting of AUM does is to integrate the physical body, mind, and self-consciousness, attune to the universe, the cosmic mind, and cosmic consciousness, transcend the wakeful, dream and deep sleep states of consciousness (associated with the three planes of existence) and leads one to a state beyond conceptualization, Turiya, the state of causal silence within – the abode of happiness, peace, tranquility, creativity, health, knowledge and freedom – the source of everything, where meditation is possible and enjoyable.

It must be remembered that meditation is the highest spiritual practice for renewal, repairing and self-healing.

From the commentary on the Bhagavad Gita by Yogananda Paramahansa I realized the need to meditate, after the chanting of AUM. I’m grateful to a senior swami of the Ramakrishna Order who wanted me to commence the meditation at the Heart Centre (Anahata Chakra), the seat of the soul, to resolve the emotional traumas and conflicts of the past. And once that was achieved the meditation, he said, would automatically move to the Throat Centre (Vishuddha Chakra) and finally to the Brow Centre (Ajna Chakra). After ten years of daily meditation, I can vouch that it is true, for I’m now at the Brow Centre.

From the discourse on the Mandukya Upanishad by Tejomayanandaji, spiritual head of the Chinmaya Mission, I received the confirmation that that the chanting of AUM helps one to transcend the states of wakefulness, dream and deep sleep states of consciousness associated with the Physical, Astral and Causal planes of existence, and move into a state beyond conceptualization, Turiya, the state of causal silence within.

From Richard Gerber’s enlightened book “Vibrational Medicine” I learnt the need to neutralize emotional traumas and tensions stored in the Chakras to ensure a free flow of prana into the nerves plexuses and endocrine glands under them to experience good health. It made sense to me and I started a serious search into its possibility.

As a sadhak who spends five hours and more on his daily sadhana (which includes two 50 minute meditative stints, one in the morning and another at night, and other half an hour stints , if and when possible during the day) let me assure you that I have been inspired from within to perfect techniques to an art to neutralize emotional traumas and tensions stored in the major Centres (Chakras), enhance the psychic qualities of the Centres, and initiate a process of healing at the Physical, Astral and Causal planes of existence. In this context I wish to acknowledge the contribution given by a psychic and clairvoyant with their revelations of energy flows, blockages, subtle-energy bodies etc.

It takes a minimum of three months for body, mind and self-consciousness to become accustomed to breathing, chanting and meditating practices and to benefit from them. During the healing phase of three months traumas and tensions of this and previous births may manifest as vivid recollections, emotional outbursts, aggravation of conditions etc. and in this process become progressively neutralized. They have to be handled with care and diffused, with the full knowledge that they are slowly but surely on their way out.

If opening the rib cage in Hathenas, breathing in Mahat Yoga Pranayama, chanting in Pranava AUM Pranayama (27 chants) and meditating (10 minutes) at the Heart Centre, the seat of the soul, is done correctly for a minimum of three months daily in the “Chakra Meditation for Good Health & Longevity” program, the following benefits will accrue:

· Activation of circulation of blood & lymphatic drainage.

· Clearing of blockages & activating energy flows within the electro-magnetic field.

· Energizing & realigning the five energy bodies

· Ensuring an independent supply of oxygenated blood to the heart.

· Generating healthy blood, glandular & bodily fluid cells.

· Making the respiratory and cardio-vascular systems efficient.

· Maturing the immature lung cells by the chanting of “AUM” and to that extent improving the condition of the skin and brain cells.

· Neutralizing the past emotional traumas, tensions & conflicts stored at the Heart Centre, the seat of the soul, enhancing its psychic qualities of compassion and love and initiating a process of healing at all three planes of existence.

· Producing, among other enzymes, the enzyme elastin, to make the 62 trillion cells biologically young.

· Regenerating and rejuvenating the body, promoting longevity.

· Reprogramming the respiratory centre and retraining the respiratory system.

· Toning the brain and the nervous system, integrating them with the physical body

· Zeroing in to the state of causal silence within, to renew, repair and self-heal.

But if the deeper “Chakra Meditation for Renew, Repair and Self-Heal” program is done

where the emotional traumas and tensions stored in the Navel, Throat, and Brow Centres are also neutralized, and the chanting of AUM is started at 27 chants, and progressively increased by one more chant every day for 81 days and leveled off at 108 chants for the rest of a three month period (and in different ratios and deeper rhythms) the rehabilitation is more dramatic.

After a heart attack in 1996 and a stroke in 1997, I rehabilitated myself wholly by practising what I’m preaching. They were caused by trying to slow the rate of breathing to 3 minutes and 12 seconds for one breath in Nadi Shuddhi and Nadi Shoddhana, without the use of bandhas (in my ignorance). As for the range of other conditions healed by Vibrational Breath Therapy programs please see my website: >www.vbt.com.au<. and you will be amazed.

Let me inform the reader with the conviction gathered from my personal experience of forty years, that Yoga is an experiential science and that there is nothing beyond it, within the constraints of one’s karma, provided one will practice daily and religiously. a sadhana, based on a sound knowledge of the science and designed to create a state of natural health and wellbeing during the day and when going to sleep. Meditation to be truly beneficial has to be preceded by the practice of Hathenas, breathing in Mahat Yoga Pranayama, chanting the primal sound AUM in Pranava AUM Pranayama [and meditating at the Centres (Chakras)]. This assists one to develop physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually. The healing happens automatically. One experiences perfect health, irrespective of age (I am only 83 years of age, more young than old) and also learns to live the life with fortitude and equanimity, experiencing peace within and without.

love

Sri Bala.

Founder, Vibrational Breath Therapy.

-

Yogacharya Dr.Ananda Bhavanani

Wednesday, August 24, 2005 5:41 PM

Meditation is not free from side-effectsDr Divay Mangla

THE medical community has developed keen interest in studying the physiological effects of meditation. Many concepts of meditation have been applied to clinical settings in order to measure its effect on different body functions.

Dr Herbert Benson of the Mind-Body Medical Institute, which is affiliated to Harvard and several Boston hospitals, reports that meditation induces a number of biochemical and physical changes in the body, collectively referred to as the “relaxation response”. This relaxation response includes changes in metabolism, heart rate, respiration, blood pressure and brain chemistry. Research is going on to study the process of mediation and its effects on the body and mind.

It’s human nature to know the logic and rationals behind every phenomenon therefore and the process of meditation has also come under the scrutiny of scientific studies. After they showed its positive effects in different studies, people, especially in the West started accepting it with an open mind. But the studies conducted in this area also revealed its negative effects besides unfolding benefits.

Meditation can lead to considerable psychological and physiological problems even in the persons who have been practising meditation for a long time. Unfortunately, very few know about this fact as people generally take it as a completely harmless activity. Broadly, all types of meditations bring a person to an altered state of consciousness. During this state a number of changes take place in the body and some of these are long lasting and some for a short period.

The different positive effects that have been found and confirmed with the practice of mediation are:

Increased blood flow to the tissue and an enhanced removal of waste products

Reduced sensitivity to noise.

Possible benefits to the immune system.

Ordered brain function

Improvement in concentration

Improvement in manual skill

Reduced anxiety and improved memory recall.

Stability of the autonomic system.

Feelings of happiness and joy

These effects can prove helpful in a number of psychological and physical problems. But thinking that meditation can cure everything would be a wrong impression. Now, let us look at the negative effects of meditation (which have been found in different scientific studies) :

Boredom, impaired reality testing

Less motivation in life

Relaxation-induced mild-to severe anxiety

Paradoxical increases in mental tension

Confusion and disorientation.

Feeling of “spaced out”.

Depression, increased negativity, being more judgmental.

Feeling addicted to meditation.

Psychosis-like symptoms,

Appearance of hidden memories from the past, such as incest, rejection and abandonment.

Other adverse effects are uncomfortable bodily sensations, feelings of guilt , grandiosity, elation, destructive behaviour and suicidal feelings.

Some people might say “adverse effects are only a part of the path. It takes years of practice”. How much this statement is true needed to be debated. Even highly experienced meditators or experienced teachers have reported such side-effects. There are also certain contraindications to meditation as proposed by psychiatrists. A person having a history of psychosis, epilepsy, severe anxiety state, hypochondriac thinking and somatisation disorder should avoid doing meditation; otherwise his condition may worsen.

Remember, no healing process is free from side-effects. Hence be careful when you do anything for maintaining your health.

The writer is a psychiatrist at Government Medical College and Hospital, Chandigarh.

-----------------------

please do post your comments on this article when possible as i feel that it is worth a good discussion

ananda

Yogacharya Dr.Ananda Balayogi Bhavanani

Chairman : Yoganjali Natyalayam and ICYER

25,2nd Cross,Iyyanar Nagar, Pondicherry-605 013

Tel: 0413 - 2622902 / 0413 -2241561

www.geocities.com/yognat2001/ananda

Namaste

Meditation was never meant to be a cure all. In the traditional, Guru Chela relationship, the Guru would only take on a student and introduce them to Sadhana if the Chela was ready - ie with some degree of balance in their health, physical and mental and their life overall. It also begs to ask what is meant by meditation. Taking into consideration the codification of Yoga (ie the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali), meditation or Dhyan is the seventh limb out of an eight limb system towards complete transcendence of the individual Jiva. In the vast majority of circumstances, Dhyana is only introduced and experienced after many years (or even lives) of devoted one-pointed practice (Abhyasa).

On another level, the so called negative effects of meditation (?) may be due to an augmentation of an already present or dormant state inherent in the practitioner. It may also indicate a re-adjustement in the psyche of the individual (temporal or more enduring).

We also have to consider the dictum : 'a bad tradesman always blames his tools'. The lofty practice of meditation should be taught by a master. As there is no I in meditate, hence the fallacy of making a statement such as I am meditating, there are great possibilities for self-delusion if the student / practitioner is not taught and guided by a Guru.

Meditation is an indispensable tool for Self-Realization (its true meaning and purpose) and spiritual evolution like physical evolution is a step-by-step process. It therefore has its 'growing pains' and also pitfalls if not practiced in its real format and true context.

Prem

Devidasan.

-

Wednesday, August 24, 2005 5:11 PM

THE medical community has developed keen interest in studying the physiological effects of meditation. Many concepts of meditation have been applied to clinical settings in order to measure its effect on different body functions.

Dr Herbert Benson of the Mind-Body Medical Institute, which is affiliated to Harvard and several Boston hospitals, reports that meditation induces a number of biochemical and physical changes in the body, collectively referred to as the “relaxation response”. This relaxation response includes changes in metabolism, heart rate, respiration, blood pressure and brain chemistry. Research is going on to study the process of mediation and its effects on the body and mind.

It’s human nature to know the logic and rationals behind every phenomenon therefore and the process of meditation has also come under the scrutiny of scientific studies. After they showed its positive effects in different studies, people, especially in the West started accepting it with an open mind. But the studies conducted in this area also revealed its negative effects besides unfolding benefits.

Meditation can lead to considerable psychological and physiological problems even in the persons who have been practising meditation for a long time. Unfortunately, very few know about this fact as people generally take it as a completely harmless activity. Broadly, all types of meditations bring a person to an altered state of consciousness. During this state a number of changes take place in the body and some of these are long lasting and some for a short period.

The different positive effects that have been found and confirmed with the practice of mediation are:

Ordered brain function

These effects can prove helpful in a number of psychological and physical problems. But thinking that meditation can cure everything would be a wrong impression. Now, let us look at the negative effects of meditation (which have been found in different scientific studies) :

Less motivation in life

Feeling of “spaced out”.

Psychosis-like symptoms,

Appearance of hidden memories from the past, such as incest, rejection and abandonment.

Other adverse effects are uncomfortable bodily sensations, feelings of guilt , grandiosity, elation, destructive behaviour and suicidal feelings.

Some people might say “adverse effects are only a part of the path. It takes years of practice”. How much this statement is true needed to be debated. Even highly experienced meditators or experienced teachers have reported such side-effects. There are also certain contraindications to meditation as proposed by psychiatrists. A person having a history of psychosis, epilepsy, severe anxiety state, hypochondriac thinking and somatisation disorder should avoid doing meditation; otherwise his condition may worsen.

Remember, no healing process is free from side-effects. Hence be careful when you do anything for maintaining your health.

The writer is a psychiatrist at Government Medical College and Hospital, Chandigarh.

-----------------------

please do post your comments on this article when possible as i feel that it is worth a good discussion

ananda

-

Sri Bala Ratnam

Cc: Dr.Ananda Bhavanani

Saturday, August 27, 2005 8:52 PM

Re: Meditation is not free from side-effects

Meditation is bliss, if done correctly.

There are important prerequisites to be done before one meditates.

With my limited exposure to some nine schools of yoga and meditation during the forty years I’ve been learning and practising yoga, it was only from revered Dr Swami Gitananda Giriji, an authority on Pranayama, that I learnt the need to open the ribcage by doing Hathenas (forcing breathing techniques), and breathe in Mahat Yoga Pranayama (the classical and scientific complete yogic breath) into the frontal, side and back lobes of the electromagnetic field (Pranamaya Kosha) at the lower, mid and upper lungs to energize every single cell. (When the breathing is done in different ratios it generates healthy blood, glandular and bodily fluid cells and regenerates and rejuvenates the physical body). And to chant the primal sound AUM in Pranava AUM Pranayama (while breathing as above) to give the vibratory resonant frequency of the three planes of existence needed by the cell to experience a state of natural health and wellbeing.

The breathing in Mahat Yoga Pranayama is done at the Pranamaya Kosha or electromagnetic field. It restores the health of the electromagnetic field, the vital body, which manifests as good physical and mental health. And the Hathenas also progressively make the body flexible and supple to sit stable for longer periods of time.

The chanting of A, U & M gives the frequencies of physical body, universe and a wakeful state of consciousness (A), mind, cosmic mind and a dream state of consciousness (U), and self-consciousness, cosmic consciousness and a deep sleep state of consciousness (M).

What the chanting of AUM does is to integrate the physical body, mind, and self-consciousness, attune to the universe, the cosmic mind, and cosmic consciousness, transcend the wakeful, dream and deep sleep states of consciousness (associated with the three planes of existence) and leads one to a state beyond conceptualization, Turiya, the state of causal silence within – the abode of happiness, peace, tranquility, creativity, health, knowledge and freedom – the source of everything, where meditation is possible and enjoyable.

It must be remembered that meditation is the highest spiritual practice for renewal, repairing and self-healing.

From the commentary on the Bhagavad Gita by Yogananda Paramahansa I realized the need to meditate, after the chanting of AUM. I’m grateful to a senior swami of the Ramakrishna Order who wanted me to commence the meditation at the Heart Centre (Anahata Chakra), the seat of the soul, to resolve the emotional traumas and conflicts of the past. And once that was achieved the meditation, he said, would automatically move to the Throat Centre (Vishuddha Chakra) and finally to the Brow Centre (Ajna Chakra). After ten years of daily meditation, I can vouch that it is true, for I’m now at the Brow Centre.

From the discourse on the Mandukya Upanishad by Tejomayanandaji, spiritual head of the Chinmaya Mission, I received the confirmation that that the chanting of AUM helps one to transcend the states of wakefulness, dream and deep sleep states of consciousness associated with the Physical, Astral and Causal planes of existence, and move into a state beyond conceptualization, Turiya, the state of causal silence within.

From Richard Gerber’s enlightened book “Vibrational Medicine” I learnt the need to neutralize emotional traumas and tensions stored in the Chakras to ensure a free flow of prana into the nerves plexuses and endocrine glands under them to experience good health. It made sense to me and I started a serious search into its possibility.

As a sadhak who spends five hours and more on his daily sadhana (which includes two 50 minute meditative stints, one in the morning and another at night, and other half an hour stints , if and when possible during the day) let me assure you that I have been inspired from within to perfect techniques to an art to neutralize emotional traumas and tensions stored in the major Centres (Chakras), enhance the psychic qualities of the Centres, and initiate a process of healing at the Physical, Astral and Causal planes of existence. In this context I wish to acknowledge the contribution given by a psychic and clairvoyant with their revelations of energy flows, blockages, subtle-energy bodies etc.

It takes a minimum of three months for body, mind and self-consciousness to become accustomed to breathing, chanting and meditating practices and to benefit from them. During the healing phase of three months traumas and tensions of this and previous births may manifest as vivid recollections, emotional outbursts, aggravation of conditions etc. and in this process become progressively neutralized. They have to be handled with care and diffused, with the full knowledge that they are slowly but surely on their way out.

If opening the rib cage in Hathenas, breathing in Mahat Yoga Pranayama, chanting in Pranava AUM Pranayama (27 chants) and meditating (10 minutes) at the Heart Centre, the seat of the soul, is done correctly for a minimum of three months daily in the “Chakra Meditation for Good Health & Longevity” program, the following benefits will accrue:

· Activation of circulation of blood & lymphatic drainage.

· Clearing of blockages & activating energy flows within the electro-magnetic field.

· Energizing & realigning the five energy bodies

· Ensuring an independent supply of oxygenated blood to the heart.

· Generating healthy blood, glandular & bodily fluid cells.

· Making the respiratory and cardio-vascular systems efficient.

· Maturing the immature lung cells by the chanting of “AUM” and to that extent improving the condition of the skin and brain cells.

· Neutralizing the past emotional traumas, tensions & conflicts stored at the Heart Centre, the seat of the soul, enhancing its psychic qualities of compassion and love and initiating a process of healing at all three planes of existence.

· Producing, among other enzymes, the enzyme elastin, to make the 62 trillion cells biologically young.

· Regenerating and rejuvenating the body, promoting longevity.

· Reprogramming the respiratory centre and retraining the respiratory system.

· Toning the brain and the nervous system, integrating them with the physical body

· Zeroing in to the state of causal silence within, to renew, repair and self-heal.

But if the deeper “Chakra Meditation for Renew, Repair and Self-Heal” program is done

where the emotional traumas and tensions stored in the Navel, Throat, and Brow Centres are also neutralized, and the chanting of AUM is started at 27 chants, and progressively increased by one more chant every day for 81 days and leveled off at 108 chants for the rest of a three month period (and in different ratios and deeper rhythms) the rehabilitation is more dramatic.

After a heart attack in 1996 and a stroke in 1997, I rehabilitated myself wholly by practising what I’m preaching. They were caused by trying to slow the rate of breathing to 3 minutes and 12 seconds for one breath in Nadi Shuddhi and Nadi Shoddhana, without the use of bandhas (in my ignorance). As for the range of other conditions healed by Vibrational Breath Therapy programs please see my website: >www.vbt.com.au<. and you will be amazed.

Let me inform the reader with the conviction gathered from my personal experience of forty years, that Yoga is an experiential science and that there is nothing beyond it, within the constraints of one’s karma, provided one will practice daily and religiously. a sadhana, based on a sound knowledge of the science and designed to create a state of natural health and wellbeing during the day and when going to sleep. Meditation to be truly beneficial has to be preceded by the practice of Hathenas, breathing in Mahat Yoga Pranayama, chanting the primal sound AUM in Pranava AUM Pranayama [and meditating at the Centres (Chakras)]. This assists one to develop physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually. The healing happens automatically. One experiences perfect health, irrespective of age (I am only 83 years of age, more young than old) and also learns to live the life with fortitude and equanimity, experiencing peace within and without.

love

Sri Bala.

Founder, Vibrational Breath Therapy.

-

Wednesday, August 24, 2005 5:41 PM

Ordered brain function

Less motivation in life

Feeling of “spaced out”.

Psychosis-like symptoms,

-----------------------

ananda