IndiaDivine.org

Time

Rate this topic

Guest guest

The concept of “Time” in Hindu cosmology”, from a Vedantic and “Yoga” perspective, is quite compatible with contemporary physics and quantum physics.

“The universe on a very basic level could be a vast web of particles which remain in contact with one another over distance, and in no time.” - R. Nadeau and M. Kafatos

A preliminary comment is that Hindu Mathematicians several thousand years ago thought in cyclic terms involving billions of years. Their achievements even impressed the late Carl Sagan – no fundamentalist nonsense that the world was created 7 thousand years ago!! Cycles require and imaginary concept of “Linear time” to grasp at one level of practical day to day calculations but this is only a convenient necessity and in itself is an Illusion.

“Time is not a line, but a series of now points”.- Taisen Deshimaru

So to begin let us review how we perceive time in a normal state of consciousness.

“Time” manifests to us as if we are standing in a river and the water that flows past us becomes the past and the water we feel passing becomes the present while glancing at the water upstream is the future.

Considering MAYA constructs a veil so the Universe appears in a fashion that allows a being possessed of a physical vehicle to be able to simplify their perceptions of the world, this is a complete ILLUSION (i.e. a false interpretation of sensory data) for time only exists NOW – there is no such thing as the past or the future – only ‘NOW’.

Let us examine this and realize how obvious this statement is about time.

When we look to the past we invoke memory in the present, when we look to the future we invoke imagination in the present.

Since the roots of our behaviour are always based in a karmic cycle of action and reaction and most of the time we don’t really know why we ‘choose’ to do something (we ‘think’ we ‘know’ but that is not the same thing as actually “KNOWING” as that part of “MANAS” which carries the bulk of our ‘Samskaras’ { (scars from embedded unconsciously in memory} is called “Chitta” and like the proverbial iceberg this means our mental activity is 9/10 below our level of awareness.

We “Construct” the past (hence “false memory syndrome”) and “Construct” the future based upon preconceptions, desires, wishes etc.

This is not to deny that prescience exists or is possible because what we conceive as the future is really ‘NOW’ and time is not fragmented but rather is twisted like a mobius strip. i.e. in reality time does not have two sides (past or future) but only “NOW”. Maya makes “time” so we can deal with it with a false perception of ‘past’ and ‘future’.

This is why meditation is so important because you have an opportunity to break through the MAYA of time and experience the only real thing we have which is ‘NOW’. “NOW” is the key to eternal life and the PURUSHA exists fully cognizant of a perpetual “NOW”, independently of our everyday experience in a conscious state (Manas, Chitta, Ahamkara, Buddhi) which by virtue of MAYA perceives time as a tripartite entity of past, present, and future.

Thus meditation may be defined as the movement from a state of being tossed upon the ocean of time feeling “NOWHERE” to the transcendent state of being ‘NOW HERE’”.

“We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time”.- T. S. Eliot

This is not a perfect discussion by any means and I have just taken it straight out of my head. Many questions you can answer for your self by paying attention to my comment that “TIME” is twisted like a “MOBIUS STRIP’.

A Mobius strip has one edge only and one surface only – Search the net for thousands of articles about Mobius Strips.

Functionally while we are incarnate in a physical body we might contemplate:

“The Past is History

The future Mystery

And the Present a gift

This is why we call it a “PRESENT’!

Controlling and predicting karma necessitates treating time as if it is linear

Below is another perspective on linear Hindu calculations of time with cycles. My discussion has been limited to the spiritual self-realization aspect..

INTRODUCTION ”Long regarded as non-astronomical by historians of science, Hindu cosmological time cycles are shown here to be the most accurate solar calendar known, the progenitor of the sexagesimal number system and the 360 + 5 day calendars of antiquity, and one of the greatest achievements of humanity.

Hindu cosmological time cycles, as well as common units of measuring time and angles, are generated from the concept that the Sun has three distinct mean motions which work together like the hour, minute and second hands of a clock. The exact sidereal solar year of 365.2563795 mean solar days, constant of precession of 50".4 and week of precessional years of 180,000 sidereal solar years used in the construction of the cycles may be inferred from their infrastructure. With the astronomical quantities known, the kaliyuga epoch of February 18, 3102 B.C. of the Julian calendar establishes the summer solstice as the initial tropical point of the cycles, 147108 B.C. as the beginning of the current week of precessional years and closely approximates the fixed initial point of the sidereal sphere given in the SuryaSiddhanta commentary.

Not only does the astronomical basis of the cycles conclusively prove the non-Greek origin and ancient age of Indian astronomical science, but the extremely high level of astronomical knowledge used and method of construction of the cycles cannot be placed in any known historical frame of reference. The implications of these findings for mankind are, therefore, very far-reaching”. Continued at: http://www.aaronsrod.com/time-cycles/time-cycles-01.html

-----

My thanks to Dr Jonn Mumford

drjonnm

(Swami Anandakapila Saraswati)

http://www.jonnmumfordconsult.com/

http://www.geocities.com/anandakapila/

http://www.geocities.com/ashramlinks/

for the above article that is thought provoking

yours in yoga

Ananda

Yogacharya Dr.Ananda Balayogi Bhavanani

Chairman : Yoganjali Natyalayam and ICYER

25,2nd Cross,Iyyanar Nagar, Pondicherry-605 013

Tel: 0413 - 2622902 / 0413 -2241561

www.geocities.com/yognat2001/ananda

FareChase - Search multiple travel sites in one click.

thanks, this is really interesting and fits in with a couple of my own theories - well, in fact, I THOUGHT they were mine, now I realise they never were ! Wonderful food for thought as usual -

Much love to everyone

adele

-

Yogacharya Dr.Ananda Bhavanani

; Dr. Madanmohan ; v.renuka devi ; Lakshmi Dhanaraj ; vimala dhanaraj ; kaviarasans ; krishna_137_veni ; daya nidy ; Rajesh Pradeep ; padma prashanthini ; reenajoseph_214 ; Tamil Sengolan ; tamil_sengolan ; Vivek

Monday, November 07, 2005 5:11 AM

Time

The concept of “Time” in Hindu cosmology”, from a Vedantic and “Yoga” perspective, is quite compatible with contemporary physics and quantum physics.

“The universe on a very basic level could be a vast web of particles which remain in contact with one another over distance, and in no time.” - R. Nadeau and M. Kafatos

A preliminary comment is that Hindu Mathematicians several thousand years ago thought in cyclic terms involving billions of years. Their achievements even impressed the late Carl Sagan – no fundamentalist nonsense that the world was created 7 thousand years ago!! Cycles require and imaginary concept of “Linear time” to grasp at one level of practical day to day calculations but this is only a convenient necessity and in itself is an Illusion.

So to begin let us review how we perceive time in a normal state of consciousness.

“Time” manifests to us as if we are standing in a river and the water that flows past us becomes the past and the water we feel passing becomes the present while glancing at the water upstream is the future.

Considering MAYA constructs a veil so the Universe appears in a fashion that allows a being possessed of a physical vehicle to be able to simplify their perceptions of the world, this is a complete ILLUSION (i.e. a false interpretation of sensory data) for time only exists NOW – there is no such thing as the past or the future – only ‘NOW’.

When we look to the past we invoke memory in the present, when we look to the future we invoke imagination in the present.

Since the roots of our behaviour are always based in a karmic cycle of action and reaction and most of the time we don’t really know why we ‘choose’ to do something (we ‘think’ we ‘know’ but that is not the same thing as actually “KNOWING” as that part of “MANAS” which carries the bulk of our ‘Samskaras’ { (scars from embedded unconsciously in memory} is called “Chitta” and like the proverbial iceberg this means our mental activity is 9/10 below our level of awareness.

We “Construct” the past (hence “false memory syndrome”) and “Construct” the future based upon preconceptions, desires, wishes etc.

This is not to deny that prescience exists or is possible because what we conceive as the future is really ‘NOW’ and time is not fragmented but rather is twisted like a mobius strip. i.e. in reality time does not have two sides (past or future) but only “NOW”. Maya makes “time” so we can deal with it with a false perception of ‘past’ and ‘future’.

This is why meditation is so important because you have an opportunity to break through the MAYA of time and experience the only real thing we have which is ‘NOW’. “NOW” is the key to eternal life and the PURUSHA exists fully cognizant of a perpetual “NOW”, independently of our everyday experience in a conscious state (Manas, Chitta, Ahamkara, Buddhi) which by virtue of MAYA perceives time as a tripartite entity of past, present, and future.

Thus meditation may be defined as the movement from a state of being tossed upon the ocean of time feeling “NOWHERE” to the transcendent state of being ‘NOW HERE’”.

“We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time”.- T. S. Eliot

This is not a perfect discussion by any means and I have just taken it straight out of my head. Many questions you can answer for your self by paying attention to my comment that “TIME” is twisted like a “MOBIUS STRIP’.

A Mobius strip has one edge only and one surface only – Search the net for thousands of articles about Mobius Strips.

“The Past is History

The future Mystery

And the Present a gift

Below is another perspective on linear Hindu calculations of time with cycles. My discussion has been limited to the spiritual self-realization aspect..

INTRODUCTION ”Long regarded as non-astronomical by historians of science, Hindu cosmological time cycles are shown here to be the most accurate solar calendar known, the progenitor of the sexagesimal number system and the 360 + 5 day calendars of antiquity, and one of the greatest achievements of humanity.

Hindu cosmological time cycles, as well as common units of measuring time and angles, are generated from the concept that the Sun has three distinct mean motions which work together like the hour, minute and second hands of a clock. The exact sidereal solar year of 365.2563795 mean solar days, constant of precession of 50".4 and week of precessional years of 180,000 sidereal solar years used in the construction of the cycles may be inferred from their infrastructure. With the astronomical quantities known, the kaliyuga epoch of February 18, 3102 B.C. of the Julian calendar establishes the summer solstice as the initial tropical point of the cycles, 147108 B.C. as the beginning of the current week of precessional years and closely approximates the fixed initial point of the sidereal sphere given in the SuryaSiddhanta commentar! y.

Not only does the astronomical basis of the cycles conclusively prove the non-Greek origin and ancient age of Indian astronomical science, but the extremely high level of astronomical knowledge used and method of construction of the cycles cannot be placed in any known historical frame of reference. The implications of these findings for mankind are, therefore, very far-reaching”. Continued at: http://www.aaronsrod.com/time-cycles/time-cycles-01.html

-----

drjonnm

yours in yoga

Ananda

• 2 weeks later...

namastey all. Time is a whorthwhile contemplation..one of my ramblings on time... Without Time there would be no growth ..therefore no decay either ..no change..it takes time to change! ..for a seed to grow...for day to change into night etc...no Time we move beyond the change and into the constant.. Maya cannot exist without time.. Time is Maya 's playground and school!

Just thought id toss this into the arena!

Love in yoga sonia

-

AdeleNozedar

Monday, November 07, 2005 11:19 PM

Re: Time

thanks, this is really interesting and fits in with a couple of my own theories - well, in fact, I THOUGHT they were mine, now I realise they never were ! Wonderful food for thought as usual -

Much love to everyone

adele

-

Yogacharya Dr.Ananda Bhavanani

; Dr. Madanmohan ; v.renuka devi ; Lakshmi Dhanaraj ; vimala dhanaraj ; kaviarasans ; krishna_137_veni ; daya nidy ; Rajesh Pradeep ; padma prashanthini ; reenajoseph_214 ; Tamil Sengolan ; tamil_sengolan ; Vivek

Monday, November 07, 2005 5:11 AM

Time

“The Past is History

The future Mystery

And the Present a gift

Hindu cosmological time cycles, as well as common units of measuring time and angles, are generated from the concept that the Sun has three distinct mean motions which work together like the hour, minute and second hands of a clock. The exact sidereal solar year of 365.2563795 mean solar days, constant of precession of 50".4 and week of precessional years of 180,000 sidereal solar years used in the construction of the cycles may be inferred from their infrastructure. With the astronomical quantities known, the kaliyuga epoch of February 18, 3102 B.C. of the Julian calendar establishes the summer solstice as the initial tropical point of the cycles, 147108 B.C. as the beginning of the current week of precessional years and closely approximates the fixed initial point of the sidereal sphere given in the SuryaSiddhanta commentar! y.

-----

drjonnm

yours in yoga

Ananda