IndiaDivine.org

INTERVIEW WITH YOGACHARYA DR. ANANDA BALAYOGI BHAVANANI ON SIGNIFICANCE OF THE BHARATA NATYAM RENDITION OF THYAGARAJA PANCHARATHNA

Rate this topic

Guest guest

INTERVIEW WITH YOGACHARYA DR. ANANDA BALAYOGI BHAVANANI ON SIGNIFICANCE OF THE BHARATA NATYAM RENDITION OF THYAGARAJA PANCHARATHNA 1. Q. It is rare to hear of anyone choreographing a Thyagaraja Pancharathna to a Bharat Natyam format! His music is almost pure devotion. Why

did you choose such a difficult task! I have been enamored by the Gana Raga Pancharathna of Saint Thiagaraja for many years as they represent the pinnacle of his thousands of compositions. The smoothness of the music and the lyrics flow together hand in hand. The rhythmic combinations and permutations present in the Pancharathna surpass any other musical compositions. Naturally with my musical and rhythmic training as a background there was a deep desire that choreography of Bharata Natyam be done for at least one of the five Pancharathna. It is my blessings to be able to do this because of the gifts given to me by Swamiji, Amma and the affectionate support of my mentor Padmashri Adyar K Lakshmanan who happily spurred me on with this project. 2. Q. The Thyagaraja Krithi received tremendous acclaim from all sides. The amazing formations, the intricate footwork, the precision arrangement of 18 dancers in almost a military – like accuracy received all round applause. What was your own feeling after the presentation? Did you feel satisfied? We are evolving every day, indeed every second and therefore

satisfaction is not always possible. I can always see the improvements that can be done right after as well as during every performance. However in this case I must say that a sense of personal satisfaction is really there for the children did a wonderful job. You can create the best of compositions, but the performance is ultimately in their hands! Hats off to them for a great job! I am really proud of them. More than the final performance I was pleased with the interest they showed in learning this item despite it not being in their native tongue of Tamil. It was also a joy to see the reaction of the audience for this effort as it was out of the usual pattern of stuff. 3. Q. What special difficulty did you face in choreographing this item? The main difficulty was in incorporating Sancharis or minor deviations and elaborations because of the speed of the musical composition. The words flow so well together that you cannot really split them at any point and so finding ways to do so was a challenge. However the main challenge was getting the dancers and musicians together for practice as our children nowadays are busier in school and tuitions than even the highest of corporate MDs!! Where is the time for them to enjoy their childhood or learn their

culture? 4. Q. What points did your feel were the most successfully presented? I feel that the meanings of the lyrics were well expressed and there was a near perfect synchronization between music and dance rhythm at every twist and turn of phrase. I feel that a sense of Bhakti for the Divine as envisioned by Saint Thiagaraja was

brought out successfully. It was also heartening when a dancer who has danced more than a decade said that she had felt the maximum happiness ever in her dancing career whilst performing this piece. It is indeed a happy coincidence and great compliment for the song is Jagadanandkaraka (Jagat + Ananda+ Karaka) meaning the one who gives supreme happiness to the entire universe! 5. Q. How did your training as an Mridungist and Carnatic vocalist as well as in Bharat Natyam dancer help you accomplishing this

task? Being blessed with the three arts of music, dance and Mridungam I was able to understand the composition at three levels and try to unify all three. The intricate patterns of the music were well understood and therefore the footwork matched the music to near perfection. (If we were perfect, we would not need to be here anymore would we?) It is also much easier to compose when you can sing and play for you need not depend on others for it. When I did my Mridungam Arangetram in 1987, Lakshmanan sir blessed me by saying that as I had all the three arts in me, I would be a fitting disciple to him. Similarly his compliments and blessing to me during Padma Prashanthini’s Arangetram in Chennai were a tremendous boost to my morale and self confidence. When you have such

mentors, and the proud privilege to be the son and disciple of great parents it is easy to forget your God given gifts at times but luckily for me I have been able to imbibe them internally and so the process of composing this piece was done with a sense of natural ease rather than hard work. 6. Q. What was the greatest challenge in a few words? Getting everyone together as well as the usual initial inert Tamas that engulfs us at times. 7. Q. What was the greatest satisfaction in a few words? The happiness on everyone’s face at the end of the performance as it meant that we had achieved the goal of Anandam for all (Jagat - Ananda). 8. Q. Do you think that the average person in the audience was able to grasp the essence of the item? Yes. Even if they didn’t know the words or the Mudras they were swept up in the spirit of the composition and were one with us. 9. Q. The Motto of your Institute Yoganjali Natyalayam is “Spiritual Perfection through Yoga and the Carnatic Arts”. What spiritual purpose does presentation of such an item have? It gives us all a sense of Aishwariya or positive self esteem that is essential for spiritual growth. It imbibes in us a sense of Bhakti as envisioned by the great seers like Thiagaraja. It produces happiness of the spirit with joyful abandon. Thus we are brought a bit closer to the Divine for at least a moment in

eternity. 10. Q. Do you think that higher purpose was grasped by the audience? Because of Amma’s unique presentation of the lyrics with meaning as well as a brief introduction to Thiagaraja in the invitation itself the audience was given the tools with which they could appreciate the higher purpose. The near flawless performance by the children and

musicians added to that experience. After that it is upto the individual whether they drink of the celestial ambrosia or not! 11. Q. Yoganjali Natyalayam is famous for its originality. Your Institute never seems to do the same things twice! What in your opinion was the most unique feature of the item? It is unique as it was the first time that anyone

in Pondicherry had done dance choreography for a Thiagaraja Pancharathna. The union between the musical composition and the rhythm of the dancers was the highlight as well as getting 18 young dancers to dance together in three groups where they didn’t bat an eyelid while exchanging places at third and forth speed. Intricate footwork done with ease was something to be seen to be believed. Remember these are non professional dancers who balance the load of school with their cultural activities. 12. Q. You have choreographed or assisted in choreographing at least fourteen full length dance dramas and more than thirty mini-dance dramas. How would your evaluate your Thyagaraja piece in relationship to your previous work? It is the best individual item that we have choreographed and presented to date! There was ample Bhava as well as Raga and Tala (Bhava + Raga + Tala =

Bharata). I have never tried more intricate footwork than in this item and the children gleefully took up the challenge and made me proud. However the Pancha Maha Bhutas gives me most satisfaction as a dance drama though each and every one of productions is unique in its own way. I also liked the Muruga Muruga item that we did a few years ago where the Thiruppugazh of Saint Arunagirinathar and a Tamil song of Maha Kavi Bharathiar were combined to tell the stories of lord Muruga. Silappadikaram, the Tamil classic was another feather in the cap of Yognat and Amma for it was truly spectacular and brought to life the ancient Dravidian culture. 13. Q. As you mature as an artist and as a Yogi, your artistic presentations are becoming more and more radiant and sophisticated. Do you personally feel that you are growing in this work? Definitely yes. I sense an evolution in my choreography, compositions, music, writing as well as the methods of Yoga teaching. I am becoming more and more organized and that shows in the composition itself. A deep love for the cultural arts was seeded in me very early by Swamiji and Amma and I feel that the tree is growing well as string to blossom and fruit in

a positive manner thus benefiting many including myself. 14. Q. You are a family man, a medical doctor, a researcher, an author, a teacher, a lecturer, a Carnatic vocalist, a Mridungist, a writer, a film maker as well as the head of a large world organization Yoga Jivana Satsangha International with more than 120 associated centres in 23 counties. You are also spiritual heir to you the world famous modern Rishi Dr. Swami Gitananda Giri as Madathiapathy of Sri Kambliswamy Madam. How do you “juggle all those

hats? I just try to do what must be done at the right time and in the right way for that is Amma’s classic definition of Dharma. I was born for a certain Dharma and have been given the tools to achieve it by my parents and gurus. I just try to do my best in whatever I am doing day-by-day. Swamiji continues to bless me and Amma is there at all times to inspire and motivate me. Of course being married to a person who has similar values does help and I am blessed in that too as Devasena adds to my compositions and choreography in her own way with her knowledge and experience. 15. Q. Any advice for the upcoming generation of young artists and potential Yogis!? Don’t neglect your own cultural heritage of Yoga and the performing arts. You should at all times be proud of this soil from which generations and generations of music and dances artistes have emanated. We are truly blessed to have forefathers like Saint Thiagaraja and must not forget to count our blessings. Work hard, do

what must be done in the right way and at the right time. Learn the basic and then let your inner voice guide you but don’t be misled by the voice of the self indulgent Ahamkara. God is great and guru is great. Respect your elders and learn from them. Don’t think that you know everything for no such person exists in reality. All of us are learners and the purpose of life is to learn. Do your best and leave the rest in the hands of the divine for Ishwar Pranidhana is the best way to achieve the state of Samadhi for which we are destined. Yogacharya Dr.Ananda Balayogi Bhavanani Chairman : Yoganjali Natyalayam and ICYER Hon General Secretary, Pondicherry Yogasana Association 25, 2nd Cross,Iyyanar Nagar, Pondicherry, South India-605 013 Tel: +91-413 - 2622902 / +91-413 -3203314/+91-413 -2241561 Website: www.icyer.com www.geocities.com/yognat2001/ananda

Talk is cheap. Use Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls. Great rates starting at 1¢/min.