IndiaDivine.org

Student feedback from SIP

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Some of the unedited feedback from American students of the Pondicherry University Study India Programme (SIP)who have been attending special classes at ICYER for the past few months Fallon Abel It is difficult to convey my experience of India in only a few paragraphs. My decision to come to India was prompted by my desire to study the philosophy, religion, and mythology of the region.

I expected to be living in the “peaceful” Pondicherry, as described in my program’s study abroad information. I expected a challenging academic environment and classmates with passionate opinions and innovative ideas about religion and philosophy. Instead, I got a chaotic city, courses consisting of rote memorization, and classmates who are only studying philosophy because they lacked sufficient marks for admission into any of the “good” University departments. Obviously, India has not been what I had expected. Yet, that is not to say that my time in India has not been a truly enjoyable and enlightening experience. Had India been what I expected, I would never have had many of the wonderful experiences or learned half of what I have during my time here. I came to

India in search of a practical approach to philosophy. I had become so disillusioned with my studies in the States, as everything I was learning was increasingly abstract and unrelated to actual life. I would spend hours in classes with people discussing theories on the nature of consciousness or treaties on the existence of God, but none of it had any influence beyond the intellectual aspect of our lives. I had originally been drawn to philosophy because it was all about the questions I had already been struggling to figure out---questions that were based on my actual experiences and thoughts about those experiences.

When philosophy loses sight of its foundation in practical life, it becomes useless and meaningless---which is the case for much of the Western approach to philosophical ideas. In coming to India, I hoped to study philosophy in the context of how it relates to life, instead of as an abstract, intellectual pursuit. I saw India as a place where philosophical and religious ideas actually influence how people experience and think about their daily lives. Ironically, I expected this understanding to be acquired through the traditional approach---in a classroom. Though I learned a great deal about Hinduism, Gandhi, Sri Aurobindo, and various other Indian philosophers in my classes, I have learned far more from my experiences and interactions outside any academic setting. My classmates didn’t sit around discussing how the philosophy that they were studying applied to their lives, but rather they exemplified it---as have so many of the people I’ve had the pleasure of knowing while in India. India’s philosophy is manifested in the general attitude that people have toward life. For the most part, people are happier here. People illustrate the concept of Santosha or contentment that is discussed in yoga and so many other branches of Indian philosophy and religion. Even though many do not have near as much in regard to material wealth, people here know how to be satisfied with what they have. In India, I see poor children playing in the streets who are having more fun than many American children, who are spoiled with tons of expensive toys. Here people are

friendly and cheerful, stopping to talk and laugh with one another, where as in the States everyone is in such a rush that they are hostile and rude. In the States, people are often so obsessed with acquiring money and material wealth that they never actually take the time to enjoy what they have. In general, people in India seem to have a healthier approach toward life and a better sense of priorities. In the West, the drive for constant ‘progress’ and superficial pleasures has people sacrificing their physical, mental, and spiritual well-being. In India, people have a more laid-back lifestyle. People do not need to take medication or talk to a psychologist because they are so stressed by their daily lives. Even though my classmates work hard to do well in their studies, they do not become so worried and stressed that it affects their health, as often is the case in the States. In India, it seems that people do not lose track of the bigger picture---that there are more important things than social and intellectual success. My time in India has been an amazing and thought-provoking experience. I have learned so much from living here and becoming friends with people who have spent their lives in an entirely different cultural, religious, and geographical environment. India has such incredible diversity, and I am so glad to have gotten to do so much traveling during my stay here. One

of the greatest impressions that India has left on me is how so many people---who speak different languages, follow different religions, and have such different cultural backgrounds---live together peacefully, for the most part. Living in India has definitely given me a different perspective on many elements of the culture--- such as things like the importance of family, arranged marriages, and the caste system---which are often misunderstood in the Western world. Most of all, coming to

India placed me outside of my usual setting, and forced me to re-evaluate my beliefs and approach toward life. For me, coming to India has been a life changing and personally fulfilling experience. On ICYER and Yoga Before coming to India, I had taken only two yoga classes in my entire life. I had always viewed yoga as merely a form of physical exercise and stretching, as that is often how it is taught and practiced in the States. Since I played sports and was involved in other physical activities, I had assumed that I there was no reason for me to practice yoga. Luckily, on ISSAC’s recommendation, I opted to take the yoga class at ICYER while I was India---a decision I am extremely glad to have made. In my classes at ICYER, I have come to understand that yoga is far more than physical exercise. Rather, it is a comprehensive approach toward life and a practical application of philosophical and spiritual ideas. I never realized the benefits that practicing yoga has---not only physically, but mentally and spiritually as well. For most of my life, I have suffered from terrible insomnia and back pain, largely due to stress. Since I was a child, I have spent most of my nights lying awake, trying to calm down my racing mind so I could get some sleep. I had been prescribed sleeping medicine, tried herbal sleep-aids, and an endless range of other treatments. Nothing I did seemed to work, and I would be lucky to get two or three hours of sleep a night. During the daytime, I would be irritable, unable to concentrate, and easily susceptible to falling ill. Since beginning the yoga course at ICYER, however, I have noticed remarkable improvement in my sleeping patterns and overall health. After every class, I would feel so peaceful and rejuvenated. Soon, in addition to the two weekly classes, I started doing one of the

yoga programs outlined in the book on sleep disorders and stress management every morning. Normally, I would have a horrible time trying to wake-up in the mornings because I had got so little sleep, but now I wake up naturally at sunrise and feel completely rested since I am actually able to fall asleep at night. Doing yoga in the mornings, I find myself energized and focused throughout the remainder of the day. At night, if I am having difficulty falling asleep, I do a few rounds of the Kaya Kriya, Sukha Pranayama, or another relaxation technique. Learning about and practicing pranayama has also been incredibly beneficial for me. I have asthma, and

would always find myself gasping for breath and passing out in certain circumstances. From practicing pranayama, I have become far more aware of how to breath in a more complete and controlled manner. When I find myself short of breath---such as I experienced while trekking in the Himalayas during our trip to North India---by using the techniques of pranayama, I was able to regulate my breathing. Beyond the physical benefits of practicing pranayama, it has also been of great help in regard to my insomnia and stress.

Whenever my mind is racing or I feel overwhelmed, I do some pranayama to calm down and release the tensions that had been building up inside of me. From studying at ICYER, I have learned how practicing yoga makes it possible to gain control over both the body and the mind. Through yogic techniques like pranayama, asanas, and kriyas I have been able to better manage the stress in my life and prevent it from having negative effects like the insomnia and chronic back-pain that I had suffered previously. Overall, my experiences at ICYER have been educational and enjoyable. I found the ashram to be a very peaceful environment, and the people there

welcoming and kind. I appreciated ICYER’s approach toward teaching yoga---focusing not only on the physical practices, but also incorporating information on its philosophical and spiritual aspects. I would have liked it if some of the classes had been somewhat more physically demanding and if we could have learned a wider range of asanas and kriyas---but I realize that time-limitations and the importance of covering all aspects of yoga make that difficult to do. Otherwise, I thought that the yoga course was very well organized and taught. I learned a lot in taking this yoga course and I truly enjoyed the experiences---both in class and at events like the Diwali celebration---that I have had at ICYER. Tabitha Musselwhite My Adventure My experience in India … wow, where do I start? Well, to begin, I must say this trip has exceeded my expectation by a long shot. Before I came to India , I didn’t really know what to expect, and when I got here, I wasn’t sure if I was going to be able to handle it. India is so very different from the U.S. The culture shock was very real. But with the guidance of some great people and an open mind I have come

to love this country. It’s amazing how I went through so many steps. At first I was overwhelmed and terrified. I couldn’t relate to anything, or anyone, I felt very lost. Then just when I started to get comfortable I went through a very homesick stage. I wanted nothing more than my family and my country. I missed my normal routine. Soon after that slump I found that I was beginning to adjust and I noticed I wasn’t so surprised about things that shocked me at first. I started having moments where I felt truly happy. It sounds crazy but one day last month I was taking the bus into town (I’m sure one wonders how the bus could make anyone happy... haha) and it must have been “down time” because the bus was surprisingly empty. So I got a good seat by the window and on the way into town I watched the sun setting. I was traveling alone so there was no one to distract my thoughts. I allowed myself to get lost

in the moment and truly enjoy watching the deep red sun peeping from behind the dark silhouettes of palm trees. The sky was bright orange and the infamous loud speaker blaring beautiful Tamil music filled the air. I don’t know why I remember that particular day, but I felt complete bliss within me. That day I realized how hard it was going to be to leave. The simplest things here make me so happy. I feel like India has taught me to look at the “big picture” in life and to find beauty in the simple things, and also taught me a great deal of patience. I feel like I have more control over my mind, and I have learned so many things about myself that I don’t know I would have learned had I not come to India. I have grown so much as a person. I think

one of my favorite things about India is the mind set. The philosophy of the Indian way of life is so real. In the U.S. people think science has to explain everything; if I were to talk about spirituality, energy, and the universe in the U.S. some people would think I had gone crazy. But I feel in my heart that these things are very real, and these are the things that make the world go round. I’m so thankful that

I went through with my spontaneous decision to home here. This trip has been better than I could have dreamed. I know there is a reason for my coming here; I think everything happens for a reason. I thank India and the people of India for opening my eyes to new philosophies of life, perception, and ideas. Yoga & Dance I must say that Southern Indian Classical Dance was by far my favorite class this semester. I have taken dance classes throughout my whole life, but none like this. At first I felt a little frustrated because I felt so awkward having to move in ways I had never before; it was quite difficult. But after I became more comfortable with the moves I really started enjoying myself. I don’t think this class would have been as good if it weren’t for Devasena Bhavanani. She is a beautiful dancer and an even more incredible teacher. She knows how to challenge you and still be so sweet. I love Bharat Natyam because it’s so fixed in Indian culture and tradition, unlike modern dance I’ve learned in the U.S. I am so anxious to show my friends what I’ve learned when I return home! I also very much enjoyed the yoga class. It was completely different than what I expected but so much more educational and beneficial. Back home, yoga has become such a “fad”. It’s become very popular for the wrong reasons. I found it so refreshing to be able to experience real yoga that is embedded in the philosophy of the mind and the universe. At home people only care about getting their heart rate up. I had no clue that yoga was so beneficial to everyday life. Its amazing, for anything you might have wrong with you, yoga can fix it. I definitely intend to keep practicing what I have learned here. Then at home, maybe I won’t have to take prescription after prescription of medication if I become ill. I can try yoga

first. I also had no clue how relaxing pranayama could be. I think its amazing how much our bodies can benefit just from breathing correctly. Before this class I didn’t even know how wrong and shallow my breathing was. I thank Dr. Swami Gitananda for his lessons. I have learned so much from these two classes, educationally and on a personal basis. I’ve really enjoyed the atmosphere of the Ashram and all the people there. I also very much appreciate all the wonderful lunches on Wednesdays; they were fabulous. I thank you all very much for having us and teaching us so much. Clare Watson Perspectives on My Anunda Yoga Practice I have been taking yoga for five years in the States at the Omaha Yoga School. There I have studied under two teachers one of them being my father. It is refreshing to get to receive a different form of an ancient practice. I enjoyed the extensive pranayama exercises we did. It is very interesting to me that Swami took the nine basic pranayamas and made one hundred and twenty breathing techniques from them. It makes me feel special to know that I know have been taught things that are original and not many people in the world know. However, I was disappointed that the asanas that were practiced were not more intensive. I understand that the yoga class was a beginner’s class but I had fabricated this idea that yoga in India, the country where yoga was born, was going to be more challenging. Overall I enjoyed my experience at the ashram and appreciate my opportunity of getting to study yoga there. It is a very serene place and the sound of the ocean is so conducive to meditation. Perspectives on India Everyone that had traveled to India before me instilled this elusive impression of the country on me of a paradoxical place that they will hold in their hearts forever. They described their experiences very intimately by referring to it as “my India”. I had no reckoning of how an experience could touch someone so deeply. Even in the first couple weeks I was here I kept looking for this India that my friends

had made apart of themselves. I couldn’t find it. Could they have possibly seen what I was seeing a country so raw with garbage, poverty and smells I had never fathomed of? Surely the area they were in was different than the place I am at. I found the essence of what they were referring to when they spoke of their India. It is a feeling that cannot be described with any effectiveness to someone who has not been here. The shock of the difference is the first reason I fell in love with India. After the feeling of the need to reject things that are different has faded you are able to enjoy difference for what it is and soon thrive on difference as if it gives viable sustenance. Another reason why India is good for my soul is that it has taught me to relinquish the need to control things that I don’t need to have control over in life. Nothing works out the way you expect it to in India, you never know what a day will hold for you. When you cannot expect things it allows you to live where you are at the moment and appreciate that instant with out the distraction of the future. My

mind is clear here I am able to have thoughts and not get them distracted with other clutter left in my mind. I do not know why the mind gets cluttered in the United States and where that clutter went after spending just a month in India. I was privileged to be able to travel to different areas of India during my time here. I was even more advantaged to find how different every area can be within a single country. The mentality that is evoked in each area is unexplainable. When I went to Kerala it felt like the beginning. The monsoon had left a mist over the entire stay which brought with it the feeling of anticipation I always have when it rains. But not just the physical aspects of the area gave me this feeling but the attitudes of the people I met like something great will be coming. Delhi was a paradox of east meets west. I saw things I knew from home but it was still so India. The Himalayas were humbling as mountains always are when you climb them and realize just how small you are in the vastness of the world. They say that the Himalayas is the roof top of the world, I saw them as the first step towards the heavens. I never felt like I was a part of the Milky Way galaxy until I stood on top of that mountain they say is still growing. Four months later I cannot imagine leaving India. The idea of going back to the United States where things are clean and life goes as expected every day terrifies me. How can I preserve this feeling of mental freshness I have acquired living here for this short time? There it is like you are going through the motions of life but are disconnected from it. There it feels sometimes like the action of living has been lost and only rarely can you taste what it is really like to live it. India has given me the taste and I am addicted. Anna Busse So far my experience in India has been life-changing. Before I left everyone told me that “now is the time to do it, you’re young, you have no attachments” but this was the right time for me to go for far more than that. As a 19 year old about to graduate from college, my future and its determinants are drawing closer and closer in my life. As I enter into the “adult world” I am forced to confront the problems of my past in

order to prepare myself to face my future. India has been very helpful in this process. While in India I have learned that perceptions are highly subjective, and that it takes so much time to get to know an individual, let along a country. The minute I feel I understand what India is and what

it represents some event changes this perception and I am forced to reconstruct my concept of “India.” For me India is many things: it is beautiful and polluted, modern and backwards, rich in culture and materialistic in action, ancient yet industrialized, wise and young. None of these things are either positive or negative attributes; India is a stark representation of the contrast that is inherent in all of life, the light and the dark. There are days when I surprise myself at the normalcy in which I participate in activities which I would have found so exotic, exciting, or even unpleasant at home. Flies no longer bother me, but I have not become accustomed to mosquitoes. I will ride down the busy ECR on a bicycle, the sun beating down on me, making my way to the beach so that I may lie on the sand, swim, and have some fresh coconut juice. All this I am so accustomed to, and I hope I never stop acknowledging just how important these menial moments are, and the reality of what I am accomplishing by simply being here. I do not want to forget what I have

learned. In India you can see both the pain and happiness that a family in severe poverty can experience. Though they suffer, they see life with such a simple and beautiful outlook that happiness is not something that is always around the corner for them. When I stare out to the Bay of Bengal, hike the Himalayas, and roam the forests of Kerala I am reminded of both the

history of India and the history of our world. When I meet the people I am confronted with both a genuine interest in my well-being, the well-being of all others, but a simultaneous take-what-you-can-get attitude. I have come to realize that the latter attitude is solely relative to people’s perception of me, and their perception of what our relationship is. From this I have learned to love bartering gently with those selling goods and services, and it is only in times of exhaustion or frustration that I find myself tried by this activity. The people share this bond that I find lacking in the US, a bond that I may one day feel at home in (hopefully). I came to India infatuated, I became frustrated, I grew to hate it, and then I fell back in love with it. I could not have accomplished this cyclic pattern had I not given myself enough time or enough traveling to learn what India really is. I had to get to know her and I have only

begun but it is a relationship I hope to continue. Ananda Ashram and its Lessons My experience at the ashram has been a positive one. I am grateful especially for the opportunity to experience Deepavali with the student group. After spending the morning being stuffed full of food by a family who was kind enough to invite us for the holiday, the evening at the ashram helped bring the spiritual importance of such a holiday to life. In a way it

was quite like the US and Christmas, where most families spend the day eating too much food and spending too much money, but behind it is a deep spiritual significance which is largely forgotten or ignored. I am glad the ashram is working to keep that alive. My Bharatnatyam classes were so difficult yet so fun. I am so glad that I did not sacrifice my personal interest and continued in the class. Though it was not something I took for credit, it was something that held major emotional significance for me. I remember days when I would be so overwhelmed with emotion, but I would simply pound that emotion into the ground with my feet when I came to

dance class, and it was if the cloud was simply lifted from my head and I could see clearly again. Yoga was especially helpful because it helped me bring awareness to my body. I became conscious of limitations I didn’t realize I had, and the fact that these limitations were due to something that could be prevented through yoga. I began doing the simple jattis at home, in our travels, everywhere without even realizing it. I also became aware of emotional and spiritual aspects of myself that remain needing to be addressed. Hopefully my sabbatical in Kerala will help me to overcome these with the knowledge I have gained at the Ashram. I have taken Iyengar yoga before, and I did miss the major use of asanas in yoga class, they always make me feel so good after I have completed them. That would be perhaps my only suggestion for the future – that students learn more asanas. The jattis and pranayama were equally important though, and I am glad I have had this opportunity to practice them and gain what I feel to be competency in them (at least at this preliminary beginner’s level). The environment at the ashram was such a welcome break from the school day: it was quiet, peaceful, inviting, and happy. No matter which class I came to I left happy, which I think should be the ultimate goal of any ashram: those who leave should leave happy. I loved that the ashram truly was a home, and felt like one, so I was able to

experience the feeling of an Indian home. I learned so much from what my teachers shared with me about yoga and Bharatnatyam, to what they shared with me about their own perceptions, experiences, and lives. It truly helped me to get a better glimpse of India. Yogacharya Dr.Ananda Balayogi Bhavanani Chairman : Yoganjali Natyalayam and ICYER Hon General Secretary, Pondicherry Yogasana

Association 25, 2nd Cross,Iyyanar Nagar, Pondicherry, South India-605 013 Tel: +91-413 - 2622902 / +91-413 -3203314/+91-413 -2241561 Website: www.icyer.com www.geocities.com/yognat2001/ananda

Cheap Talk? Check out Messenger's low PC-to-Phone call rates.