IndiaDivine.org

From Sri Bala Ratnam, Founder, Vibrational Breath Therapy

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Yoga being an experiential science, I am thankful to Dr Ananda Balayogi Bhavanani for initiating this forum, wherein we, who have practiced Yoga seriously for a considerable period of time, may share our experiences, compare notes, and improve our understanding of this most fascinating and reassuring subject/discipline. Dr Tushar K Rayji wrote in his reply to my reflections on his articles thus: “A brief scientific treatise on this aspect is provided below. In my humble understanding, breath is the obvious psychophysical link

between our conscious and subconscious mind, since characteristic breathing pattern is well-known for different state of mind, such as, anger, fear, physical passion, relaxed mood etc. By way of conscious control of the diaphragm muscle (that in turn controls our breathing rate), one can effectively regulate the breathing pattern and the associated mood change as well. Our great Rishis, the ancient spiritual scientists, took advantage of this mighty tool to develop into an elaborately novel and precise science of Pranayama for self-knowledge. Slow rhythmic breathing is a relaxed state of mind when a person can spontaneously meditate using minimum willpower; and various Pranayama techniques tries to teach us how to reach that slow rhythmic state conducive to meditation.” Incidentally I am happy to note that respected Tusharji is a devotee of Lord Shiva, as I too am. He is our family deity. I was initiated into his worship in 1965 and have continued to pray and meditate on Him. It would be most valuable if Tusharji elaborates on how ‘conscious control of the diaphragm muscle (that in turn controls our breathing rate), can effectively regulate the breathing pattern and the associated mood change as well,’ is effected. My knowledge and experience in Vibrational

Breath Therapy (based on Rishiculture Ashtanga Yoga) confirms that the respiratory centre controls conscious breathing. Breathing in Mahat Yoga Pranayama is essentially to reprogram this centre, so that we can breathe in the classical and scientific manner of breathing (the sequence of which I’ve mentioned below) at the Electromagnetic Field (Pranamaya Kosha). Whereas the air breathed in fills the physical lungs, the pranic content in the air breathed in fills the lobes, at the Electromagnetic Field (which are like compartments/airbags and can be experienced while breathing at the lobes). Breathing in different ratios and rhythms in Mahat Yoga

Pranayama also retrains the respiratory system. My experience in Mahat Yoga Pranayama, having breathed it for the last eighteen years, is that even every single natural breath becomes slow, deep and rhythmic. In addition the breathing is from all sections of the lungs, whereas normally it is only from the lower lungs. It is a pleasure and most reassuring pastime to listen to the natural breathing while relaxing. How does breathing in the same ratio, but in different rhythms, slow down the rate of breathing? Eg: the ratio 1:3 when breathed in the rhythm 4 (seconds)

in:12 (seconds) out slows down the rate of breathing to 3.75 breaths per minute, whereas . the rhythm 6in:18out slows down the rate of breathing to 2.5 breaths per minute, and the rhythm 8in:24out slows down the rate of breathing to 1.9 breaths per minute. And so on it goes. Are you aware that the Rhythmic Breath (Savitri Pranayama) when incorporated into Nadi Shuddhi and Nadi Shoddhana can be slowed down to the ultimate 64in:32held-in::64out:32held-out = 192 seconds or 3 minutes and 12 seconds for one breath. Naturally nine breaths take

about half an hour. You can imagine the concentration you cultivate by doing such an intensive practice. It has enabled me to concentrate on my mission and passion with the least effort. Incidentally deep rhythms are as a rule done with bandhas. Ignorant of this, I suffered a heart attack in March 1996. With Pranava AUM & Meditation I staged a full recovery. I continued the practice and this time I suffered a stroke in March 1997. I recovered with my discipline and as I became wiser, I now stop at 20in:10held-in::20out:10held-out = I minute per breath, but with bandhas. In addition to cultivation of concentration, the following benefits also accrue from breathing In Mahat Yoga Pranayama 1. Mastery of both body and mind 2. Integration of body, mind and self-consciousness leaving aside generation of healthy blood and glandular cells and bodily fluids, which when done in an eighty one day program regenerates, rejuvenates and rehabilitates. Naturally you may wish to know what is so special about Mahat Yoga Pranayama? It comprises breathing sequentially into the frontal, side and back lobes (at the electromagnetic field) of the lower, mid and upper lungs at over 70% of the lung intake so that prana is directly absorbed. As I mentioned in my previous article, to my knowledge, the only one School of Yoga where it is taught is the International Centre for Yoga Education and Research, Pondicherry, India. To practise Mahat Yoga Pranayama the student is expected to: 1. Sit facing the North to align the electromagnetic field with the North-South magnetic meridian. 2. Sit in Vajra Asana to inhale 30% more air into the lungs. 3. Have the right big toe over the left to make a closed circuit of the electromagnetic field. 4. Hold the hands in mudras to take 15% more air into the lungs.(A study of the anatomy and physiology of Rishiculture Ashtanga Yoga/ Vibrational Breath Therapy will reveal the connection between the mudra, respiratory centre and the respective lungs and how they operate at the electromagnetic field).. The breathing at the electromagnetic field in Mahat Yoga Pranayama is done as follows; Breathing sequentially at the Lower or Mid or Upper Lungs Breathing In: Frontal, Side and Back lobes Breathing Out: Back Side and Frontal lobes Breathing sequentially at the Complete Lungs Breathing

In: Lower, Mid and Upper lungs Breathing Out Lower, Mid and Upper lungs The breathing must be done for at least 81 days (approximately three months) in a progressively evolving program designed to incorporate the separate Adham (lower lungs) Madhyam (mid lungs) and Adhyam (upper lungs) Pranayamas in stages into a sequential Mahat Yoga Pranayama (complete lungs) for both body and mind to accept these practices and benefit from them The breathing in Mahat Yoga Pranayama is accompanied by chanting Pranava AUM. Whereas Mahat Yoga Pranayama energizes every single cell [and when done in different ratios (and rhythms) regenerates and rejuvenates] the vibratory resonant frequency of Pranava makes the cells holistic in a state of wellbeing. This benefit extends also to the five koshas (subtle energy bodies we live in). And when meditation is done at the Heart Centre (Anahata Chakra) the seat of the soul, while experiencing the state of causal silence within, it assists in spiritual evolution. And one commences attuning to the Higher Self healing one’s Little Self. As my humble contribution to the Science of Yoga, I’ve developed an 81 day program “Heal Thy Self with Pranava AUM, with incredible

success, It is an experience of a lifetime. I am essentially a Yoga Therapist. I strongly feel, with my experience, that first the body-mind complex must be developed and the rate of natural breathing slowed down, to truly experience deep meditation (or as a matter of that even Kriya Yoga) and for this, the practices of Mahat Yoga Pranayama and Pranava AUM are invaluable. I also write so that my experiences may be of interest to seriously minded fellow sadhaks with the fervent hope that they would in turn make their considered comments on what Tusharji or Hegdeji or I say, with a view to improving our understanding of the Science of Yoga, the Mother of Sciences. Sri Bala Ratnam, Yoga Therapist Founder, Vibrational Breath Therapy (based on Rishiculture Ashtanga Yoga) Breath Therapy Clinic, Postal Address: P O Box 5128 Clayton VIC 3168 Australia Phone; +61 3 9543 2875; 0410 594 018 Email address: sribala,au; Website: www.vbt.com.au (being reconstructed). Yogacharya Dr.Ananda Balayogi Bhavanani Chairman : Yoganjali Natyalayam and ICYER Hon General Secretary, Pondicherry Yogasana

Association 25, 2nd Cross,Iyyanar Nagar, Pondicherry, South India-605 013 Tel: +91-413 - 2622902 / +91-413 -3203314/+91-413 -2241561 Website: www.icyer.com www.geocities.com/yognat2001/ananda

Park yourself in front of a world of choices in alternative vehicles.Visit the Auto Green Center.

Guest guest

I thank Bholeji for raising these obviously important questions. Here are

my point by point responses.

1. Yes, only with partial, but never with full attention as a skilled yogi

does. When a person could engage full attention on breathing amid abundant

spiritual fun and stay there as long as he wants to, he is certainly a yogi.

2. Lord Siva is the witness as well as the player being the ultimate

reality. This Universe is nothing but Him appearing in various names and

forms. He is regulating all our activities through the ego that we

erroneously believe to be our very own. This is the cause of human

suffering, as well as an instrument of human growth when a person wakes up.

But in the ultimate analysis all is Siva, this Universe is Lord himself! The

act of ignorant mechanical breathing causes us suffering, while

Pranayama-breathing with Lord in mind helps us grow.

3. Due to the preceeding reasons one cannot call a simple breathing

" Pranayama " unless his mind-body is connected to own Spirit (Lord Siva). So,

to an accomplished singer, like Vimsen Joshi and others of similar status,

singing is nothing but Pranayama.

4. Because we are unaware of the holiness of Prana we do not get the

optimum effect. It is like pushing an unwilling person into a swimming pool

who promptly swam back to the pool side. Did he get the same joy as a

willing person (who swims for fun) does?. The fun as well as the benefit

gathered by the two individuals are entirely different even though they went

through the same swimming act. It is the attitude due to awareness that

makes the difference.

Hope these clarify your question dissolving your doubt.

Om namo Sivaya!

In the Lord's Service,

Dr. Tushar K. Ray

www.centralyoga.org

And

Ramakrishna Ashram-Vedanta Center

Tempe, Arizona 85281

-

" Mukund Bhole - Yoganubhava " <yoganubhava04

Cc: <tkray

Thursday, June 21, 2007 3:21 PM

Re: From Sri Bala Ratnam, Founder, Vibrational

Breath Therapy

> >Dear Yoga Friends,

>

> I thank you all for the nice and fruitful discussions you are having on

> the subject of pranayama and I thank Prof. T.K. Ray for explaining the

> mechanics of breathing.

>

> I have few doubts as follows:

> 1. Are we not bringing under our control the breathing apparatus for

> talking, singing etc? Or is it only taking place or happening in yoga

and

> meditation?

> 2. Will the conscious mind get regulated by the all-pervading

> super-conscious mind (Lord Siva)during talking, singing etc.?

> 3. Why don't we call talking, singing as pranayama?

> 4. If we are " drawing Prana during every moment of our life " , then why

> practice so many types of pranayamas?

>

> May I seek guidance from experienced people on my doubts and questions?

>

> Mukund Bhole

>

> --

> Il messaggio e' stato analizzato alla ricerca di virus o

> contenuti pericolosi da MailScanner, ed e'

> risultato non infetto.

>

>

--