IndiaDivine.org

Shambo

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

It's a very interesting point which I've been thinking about, too. I attach a link to a BBC news story of a report from the Lancet - apparently the spread of bovine TB to humans can happen but it is rare and I doubt the circumstances in the ashram are similar to the ones described which encourage the spread.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6547973.stm

It's worth stating that I am heavily biased towards the respect for the life of animals, and I hope that the high profile of this story may have made people think about the issues. In recent years there has been far too much unnecessary and cruel slaughter of animals here in the UK.

I hope that common sense prevails rather than a knee-jerk reaction in favour of the law as it stands at the moment, after all Shambo's circumstances are very different from those of a farm bull. Perhaps his carers would be prepared to take the risk and in the meantime ensure that Shambo is kept out of the contact of strangers. This might provide some useful data and may add to the knowledge we have of this disease?

It's also worth bearing in mind that we do not yet know enough about how this disease really spreads; not so long ago there were reports that badgers were spreading the disease and many of these creatures were slaughtered, often quite cruelly, yet now it seems that this may be wrong.

adele

-

kalavathiyogacharini

Saturday, July 14, 2007 10:16 PM

Shambo

NamasteI have a thought provoking question for you...in Wales, Uk there is an ashram with a strong Hindu basis (although i believe it promotes being multicultural) that has a temple bull called Shambo. This bull has bovine tb which has not yet fully developed and may not do so but eitherway it is a health hazard to both animals and humans as the disease can spread through breath. The local government has a rule that any animal carrying tb must be slaughtered. The ashram supports the notion that all life is sacred and therefore are fighting for Shambos life. After some time of fighting his case through the coursts, the decision is now in the hands of the Judge who is going to give his verdict on monday....so what should he do? What should happen to the sacred Bull? Should he be spared and risk the lives of many many people and all the animals on the ashram and further afield? Valli the temple elephant from Sri Lanka would be affected among others. All of this because all life is sacred and we should all be able to work out our karma until our life ends, or should his life be taken to spare the risk of so many other lives? What is the answer to this predicament?The website for the ashram is www.skandavale.org if you can't get there by the link put it into a search engine.Kalavathi