IndiaDivine.org

Stimulating thoughts from Swami ANANDAKAPILA, Patron Gitananda Yoga Australia

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Creativity is a type of learning process where the teacher and pupil are located in the same individual.” - Arthur Koestler ANANDAKAPILA’S NOTES TO SELECT STUDENTS Volume V, Number 52 www.jonnmumfordconsult.com www.tantrapm.com www.jonnmumfordconsult.com HARI OM! “Satya” is the second of the Yama’s “A lie has consequences, and the truth has Karma” or should it be “A lie has Karma and the truth has consequences” or are “consequences” and “Karma” the same thing? Think about that! [Anandakapila] The concept of “Satya” is a chasm – Tennessee Williams had one of his characters say “the truth is at the bottom of a bottomless well” (Night of the Iguana) and an old proverb says “Each who looks in the well of truth see’s but his own reflection”. The whole concept of Yamas and Niyamas and the consequent elucidation of the eight branches (Ashtanga Yoga) do not begin until the second chapter of Patanjali’s Yoga

Sutras. I might remind you that the a “sutra” is a pithy condensation of wisdom and the entire four chapters of this foundational work, hardly encompass more than a few dozen palm leaves probably composed between 200 B.C.E. and 200 C.E. Several Sanskrit words popular with Buddhist classical texts appear in the script leaving scholars to postulate a cross-fertilization with Buddhism occurred. As I recall “compassion” (Kaarunaa f.) is one such word or more fully: A problem that immediately arises in this undertaking to incarnate such a worthy ideal into our being may be summed up by the genius Sigmund Freud: “The mind is like an iceberg, it floats with one-seventh of its bulk above water.”Sigmund

Freud (1856-1939, Austrian physician, founder of Psychoanalysis) And if that does not quite make sense try this: “The conscious mind may be compared to a fountain playing in the sun and falling back into the great

subterranean pool of subconscious from which it rises.”Sigmund Freud (1856-1939, Austrian physician, founder of Psychoanalysis) This is a blatant statement that it is child’s play to teach yourself to monitor your mouth and brain (Think before you speak-think before you think!), never trust your mind because most of us have great difficulty with the

more subtle aspects of “truth” as half the time we don’t know when we are telling the truth (whose truth?) or even what is “truth”!A brain traumatized by drugs, torture, concussion and brain surgery will confabulate to make up the memory gaps – let alone the “false Memory syndrome” that was such an abomination ten years ago. So none of this is simple and you might ask what are the advantages of truthfulness to the best of our conscious knowledge? “Happiness is when what you think, what you sayand what you do are in harmony.”- Mohandas Karamchand [Mahatma] Gandhi (1869-1948)Satya is a whole lifetime process of Yoga within itself with the ideal of transformation – becoming in its practice a shower of purity. Several years ago I was lecturing in South India and I suggested to some very uptight Europeans in the group that they should be less concerned about a white lie to preserve some one else’s dignity and feelings amounted to much Karma -

and pay more attention to the egregious lies told and collaborated upon by members of the “coalition of the willing” – the consequences of their lies cost at least 100,000 plus (really the smallest possible figure) lives of innocent civilian men, women and children in Iraq - let alone 4000 climbing - American lives.“White Lies” for the sake of not “Hurting” (Ahimsa – remember?) are not what the great sages where concerned with and anyone who thinks otherwise is fairly narrow, intolerant and miserable – and I have met a good many of these devout types with faces like prunes who are the epitome of “literal thinking”. The Yamas and Niyamas are not for the myopic but rather for those with floodlight perspective and vision. The South Indian group was underwhelmed, to say the least, as I am sure they had

been prompted that the only thing I knew anything about was Yantra Yoga and to pay no attention to anything else I said. Mind you I freely acknowledge that I do not know anything about anything except anything I know anything about! I am starting with the grossest form of lying, which is manipulation of masses to gain political and personal gain – this is spitting on the principle of “Satya”. The evil of lies perpetuated by the “coalition of the willing”, if you have any doubts, may be summed up by taking a moment to contemplate the following, (a good refresher as the U.S.A. Primaries selection process finalizes itself). Here is an encapsulation sent me by Dr. Rainer.

What to do? Australians have managed to remove that hairless, white slimy, smug slug of a Prime Minister and throw him into disgrace and obscurity as the second Prime Minister in Australian history to not just lose the election but lose his standing electorate seat. Britain has done the same with Tony – so I am hoping America will repay the current administration with a total swing to the opposition.We have a ways to go with this discussion so do not give up in despair. You don’t study with me

to hear old platitudes and clichés from the pulpit. I am going to give you an example of how Lying is a not so subtle form of obfuscation and return to George and little Johnnie. Yale University has just issued its latest analysis of environmental responsibility for over 150 countries. Congratulations to New Zealand which ranked 7th in the World for ecological responsibility. U.S.A.? 39th which for the World’s only Superpower is a disgrace due to the Lying and refusal to face reality of the administration – on many levels. AUSTRALIA? On tiny johnnie’s watch? 47th: Which is absolutely disgusting – how a country of sun-bleached beaches and empty wide open spaces with a mere 20 million people, clustered mostly on the perimeter, can manage to do so badly is almost beyond belief!!!(Just above the “Fun” section I have inserted the link URL to the full Yale “Environmental Performance Index” for 2008)I have said more than enough and next week I will return to the meaning of

Satya as a personal Sadhana which we need to spend a lifetime integrating as much as possible. “Satya” when understood leads to an alchemical transmutation and it is this esoteric aspect I will deal with next week. OM TAT SAT Much Love ANANDAKAPILA ************************************************************************************************ Yoga: Improve your stress management and relaxation skills (Mayo Clinic) Chronic stress can lead to a variety of health and emotional problems. Yoga is an effective method to reduce stress and anxiety. See how to get started. Your kids are demanding the latest video game,

your boss wants that report done yesterday, and your partner wants to know what's for dinner. Stress and anxiety are everywhere. If they're getting the best of you, you might want to make like a downward-facing dog or a cobra and try yoga. Yoga's series of postures — sometimes named for mammals, fish or reptiles — and controlled breathing exercises have become a popular means of stress management and relaxation. Today, yoga classes teaching the art of breathing, meditation and posing are offered nearly everywhere — from trendy health clubs in big cities to community education classes in small towns. If you're looking for more do-it-yourself techniques for a calmer, more peaceful attitude, see how to get

started with yoga. The ultimate goal of yoga is to reach complete peacefulness of body and mind, helping you relax and manage stress and anxiety. Traditional yoga philosophy requires that students adhere to this mission through behavior, diet and meditation. But if you're simply looking for better stress management and not an entire lifestyle change, yoga can still help.

Yoga has many styles, forms and intensities. But hatha yoga, in particular, may be a good choice for stress management. This style of yoga is designed to encourage a calmer mind, along with improved flexibility. meditation. But if you're simply looking for better stress management and not an entire lifestyle change, yoga can still help. Yoga has many styles, forms and intensities. But hatha yoga, in particular, may be a good choice for stress management. This style of yoga is designed to encourage a calmer mind, along with improved flexibility. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/yoga/CM00004 Video: Yoga for stress management http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/yoga/MM00650 Dr Jonn Mumforddrjonnm(Swami Anandakapila Saraswati)

Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

Thankyou for being included in Anandakapila's refreshing and insightful perspective.

Nice to feel included considering my absence from your celebratory month of Feb.

His character comes across strongly and I hope one day to meet him,

Regards,

Niraimathi

Australia

-

Yogacharya Dr.Ananda Bhavanani

Saturday, February 02, 2008 3:52 PM

Stimulating thoughts from Swami ANANDAKAPILA, Patron Gitananda Yoga Australia

Creativity is a type of learning process where the teacher and pupil are located in the same individual.” - Arthur Koestler

ANANDAKAPILA’S NOTES TO SELECT STUDENTS

Volume V, Number 52 www.jonnmumfordconsult.com www.tantrapm.com

www.jonnmumfordconsult.com

HARI OM!

“Satya” is the second of the Yama’s

“A lie has consequences, and the truth has Karma” or should it be “A lie has Karma and the truth has consequences” or are “consequences” and “Karma” the same thing? Think about that! [Anandakapila]

The concept of “Satya” is a chasm – Tennessee Williams had one of his characters say “the truth is at the bottom of a bottomless well” (Night of the Iguana) and an old proverb says “Each who looks in the well of truth see’s but his own reflection”.

The whole concept of Yamas and Niyamas and the consequent elucidation of the eight branches (Ashtanga Yoga) do not begin until the second chapter of Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras. I might remind you that the a “sutra” is a pithy condensation of wisdom and the entire four chapters of this foundational work, hardly encompass more than a few dozen palm leaves probably composed between 200 B.C.E. and 200 C.E.

Several Sanskrit words popular with Buddhist classical texts appear in the script leaving scholars to postulate a cross-fertilization with Buddhism occurred. As I recall “compassion” (Kaarunaa f.) is one such word or more fully:

A problem that immediately arises in this undertaking to incarnate such a worthy ideal into our being may be summed up by the genius Sigmund Freud:

“The mind is like an iceberg, it floats with one-seventh of its bulk above water.”Sigmund Freud (1856-1939, Austrian physician, founder of Psychoanalysis)

And if that does not quite make sense try this:

“The conscious mind may be compared to a fountain playing in the sun and falling back into the great subterranean pool of subconscious from which it rises.”Sigmund Freud (1856-1939, Austrian physician, founder of Psychoanalysis)

This is a blatant statement that it is child’s play to teach yourself to monitor your mouth and brain (Think before you speak-think before you think!), never trust your mind because most of us have great difficulty with the more subtle aspects of “truth” as half the time we don’t know when we are telling the truth (whose truth?) or even what is “truth”!A brain traumatized by drugs, torture, concussion and brain surgery will confabulate to make up the memory gaps – let alone the “false Memory syndrome” that was such an abomination ten years ago.

So none of this is simple and you might ask what are the advantages of truthfulness to the best of our conscious knowledge?

“Happiness is when what you think, what you sayand what you do are in harmony.”- Mohandas Karamchand [Mahatma] Gandhi (1869-1948)Satya is a whole lifetime process of Yoga within itself with the ideal of transformation – becoming in its practice a shower of purity.

Several years ago I was lecturing in South India and I suggested to some very uptight Europeans in the group that they should be less concerned about a white lie to preserve some one else’s dignity and feelings amounted to much Karma - and pay more attention to the egregious lies told and collaborated upon by members of the “coalition of the willing” – the consequences of their lies cost at least 100,000 plus (really the smallest possible figure) lives of innocent civilian men, women and children in Iraq - let alone 4000 climbing - American lives.“White Lies” for the sake of not “Hurting” (Ahimsa – remember?) are not what the great sages where concerned with and anyone who thinks otherwise is fairly narrow, intolerant and miserable – and I have met a good many of these devout types with faces like prunes who are the epitome of “literal thinking”. The Yamas and Niyamas are not for the myopic but rather for those with floodlight perspective and vision.

The South Indian group was underwhelmed, to say the least, as I am sure they had been prompted that the only thing I knew anything about was Yantra Yoga and to pay no attention to anything else I said. Mind you I freely acknowledge that I do not know anything about anything except anything I know anything about!

I am starting with the grossest form of lying, which is manipulation of masses to gain political and personal gain – this is spitting on the principle of “Satya”.

The evil of lies perpetuated by the “coalition of the willing”, if you have any doubts, may be summed up by taking a moment to contemplate the following, (a good refresher as the U.S.A. Primaries selection process finalizes itself). Here is an encapsulation sent me by Dr. Rainer.

What to do? Australians have managed to remove that hairless, white slimy, smug slug of a Prime Minister and throw him into disgrace and obscurity as the second Prime Minister in Australian history to not just lose the election but lose his standing electorate seat. Britain has done the same with Tony – so I am hoping America will repay the current administration with a total swing to the opposition.We have a ways to go with this discussion so do not give up in despair. You don’t study with me to hear old platitudes and clichés from the pulpit.

I am going to give you an example of how Lying is a not so subtle form of obfuscation and return to George and little Johnnie.

Yale University has just issued its latest analysis of environmental responsibility for over 150 countries. Congratulations to New Zealand which ranked 7th in the World for ecological responsibility.

U.S.A.? 39th which for the World’s only Superpower is a disgrace due to the Lying and refusal to face reality of the administration – on many levels.

AUS TRALIA? On tiny johnnie’s watch? 47th: Which is absolutely disgusting – how a country of sun-bleached beaches and empty wide open spaces with a mere 20 million people, clustered mostly on the perimeter, can manage to do so badly is almost beyond belief!!!(Just above the “Fun” section I have inserted the link URL to the full Yale “Environmental Performance Index” for 2008)I have said more than enough and next week I will return to the meaning of Satya as a personal Sadhana which we need to spend a lifetime integrating as much as possible.

“Satya” when understood leads to an alchemical transmutation and it is this esoteric aspect I will deal with next week.

OM TAT SAT

Much Love

ANANDAKAPILA

************************************************************************************************

Yoga: Improve your stress management and relaxation skills (Mayo Clinic)

Chronic stress can lead to a variety of health and emotional problems. Yoga is an effective method to reduce stress and anxiety. See how to get started.

Your kids are demanding the latest video game, your boss wants that report done yesterday, and your partner wants to know what's for dinner. Stress and anxiety are everywhere. If they're getting the best of you, you might want to make like a downward-facing dog or a cobra and try yoga.

Yoga's series of postures — sometimes named for mammals, fish or reptiles — and controlled breathing exercises have become a popular means of stress management and relaxation. Today, yoga classes teaching the art of breathing, meditation and posing are offered nearly everywhere — from trendy health clubs in big cities to community education classes in small towns. If you're looking for more do-it-yourself techniques for a calmer, more peaceful attitude, see how to get started with yoga.

The ultimate goal of yoga is to reach complete peacefulness of body and mind, helping you relax and manage stress and anxiety. Traditional yoga philosophy requires that students adhere to this mission through behavior, diet and meditation. But if you're simply looking for better stress management and not an entire lifestyle change, yoga can still help.

Yoga has many styles, forms and intensities. But hatha yoga, in particular, may be a good choice for stress management. This style of yoga is designed to encourage a calmer mind, along with improved flexibility.

meditation. But if you're simply looking for better stress management and not an entire lifestyle change, yoga can still help.

Yoga has many styles, forms and intensities. But hatha yoga, in particular, may be a good choice for stress management. This style of yoga is designed to encourage a calmer mind, along with improved flexibility.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/yoga/CM00004

Video: Yoga for stress management

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/yoga/MM00650

Dr Jonn Mumforddrjonnm (AT) ozemail (DOT) com.au(Swami Anandakapila Saraswati)

Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.