IndiaDivine.org

STUDIES ON SURYANAMASKAR AT JIPMER, PONDICHERRY

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Dear Ananda

Good report re Surya Namaskara. It does make sense of course. May the sun long shine, espcially the Inner Sun. I look forward to more research in yoga.

Thank you

Eric Doornekamp

Lotus Yoga Centre NZ

-

marief fumeau

Thursday, June 19, 2008 8:36 AM

RE : STUDIES ON SURYANAMASKAR AT JIPMER, PONDICHERRY

namasté

so happy to read this report and I believe that it is a simple practise for europeans kids to realize...I was already involved ..nd now I will have more details to explain to the "reacted kids..".

yours in YOGA....Mariefrance"Yogacharya Dr.Ananda Bhavanani" <yognat2001 > a écrit :

STUDIES ON SURYANAMASKAR AT JIPMER, PONDICHERRY

Suryanamaskar, the sun salutation.

EFFECT OF SURYANAMASKAR TRAINING ON PULMONARY FUNCTION, RESPIRATORY PRESSURES AND HANDGRIP IN SCHOOL CHILDREN

Scientific literature is deficient on the effects of Suryanamaskar on physiological functions. Suryanamaskar is an integral part of Yoga practice and consists of a sequence of movements synchronized with deep breathing. Although a number of studies have been reported on the beneficial effects of Yoga training, there is no report on the effect of Suryanamaskar training on pulmonary function, respiratory pressures and handgrip. Hence, we planned to study the effect of Suryanamaskar training on forced expiratory volume, forced expired volume in first second, peak expiratory flow rate, maximum expiratory pressure, maximum inspiratory pressure, handgrip strength and handgrip endurance. 42 school children in the age group of 12 to 16 were randomly divided into two groups of 21 each. Group I was trained in Suryanamaskar for 6 months while Group II formed the control group. In both the groups, the above mentioned parameters were studied before and after 6 months of the study period. In Group I subjects, peak expiratory flow rate, maximum expiratory pressure, maximum inspiratory pressure, Forced expiratory volume and forced expired volume in first second increased significantly following Suryanamaskar training. Handgrip strength and hand grip endurance also increased significantly after the training. On the other hand, in the control group, there was no significant increase in these parameters. We suggest that Suryanamaskar be used as an effective and inexpensive method to improve pulmonary functions and general health of school children.

A COMPARATIVE STUDY OF THE EFFECTS OF SLOW AND FAST SURYANAMASKAR

42 school children in the age group of 12 to 16 were randomly divided into two groups of 21 each. Group I and Group II received 6 months training in performance of slow Suryanamaskar (SSN) and fast Suryanamaskar (FSN) respectively. SSN subjects were trained to perform Suryanamaskar in a slow manner so that each of the 12 poses was held for duration of 30 seconds. Each round took 6 minutes to complete and 5 rounds were performed in 30-40 minutes. On the other hand, FSN group subjects were trained to perform Suryanamaskar in a fast manner so that the 12 poses were completed in 2 minutes. 15 rounds were performed in 30-40 minutes. Training in SSN produced a significant decrease in diastolic pressure and an insignificant (3%) fall in rate-pressure-product, which is an index of load on the heart. In contrast, training in FSN produced a significant increase in systolic pressure and insignificant (4.5%) increase in rate-pressure-product. Although there was a highly significant increase in hand grip strength and hand grip endurance in both the groups, the increase in hand grip endurance in FSN group was significantly more than in SSN group. Training in SSN reduced the resting diastolic pressure and rate-pressure-product, which, indicates a decrease in load on the heart. In contrast, FSN increased diastolic pressure and rate-pressure-product. The present study shows that the effects of FSN are similar to physical aerobic exercises whereas the effects of SSN are similar to those of Yoga training.

These studies have been presented at the Annual Conferences of IABMS (Indian Association of Biomedical Scientists), Annual Conferences of APPI (Association of Physiologists and Pharmacologists of India), International Yoga Festival, Pondicherry and at the Kaivalyadhama Yoga Conference 2002.

Yogacharya Dr.Ananda Balayogi Bhavanani

Chairman : Yoganjali Natyalayam and ICYER

Hon General Secretary, Pondicherry Yogasana Association

25, 2nd Cross,Iyyanar Nagar, Pondicherry, South India-605 013

Tel: +91-413 - 2622902 / +91-413 -3203314/+91-413 -2241561

Mobile: 9842311433

www.geocities.com/yognat2001/ananda/ size="1" Envoyé avec Mail.Une boite mail plus intelligente.

__________ NOD32 3199 (20080619) Information __________This message was checked by NOD32 antivirus system.http://www.eset.com