IndiaDivine.org

Fw: 15 Greatest Medical Myths

Rate this topic

Guest guest

--- On Thu, 2/19/09, Kenneth Liberman <liberman wrote:Kenneth Liberman <libermanRe: 15 Greatest Medical MythsanandaDate: Thursday, February 19, 2009, 4:29 AM>Myth 2) Taking antibiotics will kill bacteria.Please allow me to weigh in on this one. While I am in sympathy with thegeneral drift of these perspectives, I think they are drawn in too absolutist afashion. Three years ago I was dying of bacterial endocarditis (infection of aheart valve, contracted from some naturally existing oral bacteria that made itinto the bloodstream via gums cut by too rigorous flossing). I had spent fourmonths bravely battling the infection

without antibiotics, and I totally lostthe battle. The antibiotics saved my life.I recall this conversation with Swamiji in December of 1999, right after Iinformed Swamiji of my having been diagnosed with a congenital bicuspid aorticvalve: I asked Swamiji, "My doctor told me that when I go to the dentist Imust take antibiotics. I don't want want to take antibiotics. What should Ido?" Swamiji replied, "If you do not take antibiotics in yourcondition, you risk a chance of dying from heart infection."I have followed Swamiji's advice. It seems to me a sane "middle"way.I do agree that sometimes vigorous exercise can be a good cure for the flu.Yours,Ken Liberman(Teaching in Italy on a Fulbright assignment)

Well....That was interesting.Yes.Antibiotics need to be used with caution as many of us would agree that antibiotic resistance could assume monumental proportions and eventually may be harmful to life.

Dr.Vellore A.R.Srinivasan