IndiaDivine.org

Attachment discussion

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Dear friends and family,

We are on a path seeking to free our minds from the burdens which makes one attached to this temporal world of objects and relationships and many times in our quest to be free from this or that we build more and more attachments. I say this because there was a time when i felt that "I" had to give up this or that attachment and when the methods tried did not work, there would be anger and resentment. One day while sitting at the fire at the Blessed Feet of Maa and Swamiji I asked Swamiji about this and he said (not his exact words) Give it to Mother, you have no power everything is Her Desire. I understood what Swamiji said in principle but not in theory so I brought those words with me though not very good at meditation, I pondered on them for what seemed like ages.

One early morning during puja, a prayer came to my lips which i repeat daily, the prayer seeks pure love, pure devotion, wisdom and understanding of the Vedas and surrender at the Beloved Feet of Mother. This prayer is offered in the knowledge that Mother's Will be done. OM.

When we think of the wonderful work being done with this group, it is as though Mother, in Her Infinite Goodness, has looked into our minds and knowing our weaknesses and pure desires, has brought us together to help each other even if only through the group sankalpas. The first is what this child calls the mantra for cleansing the soul – the MM mantra which is repeated at least 21 times every Saturday by Xamount of brothers and sisters all over the Universe. Last year there was the Earth Mother Sankalpa – my thought for this was both Mother Earth and the physical body, this year the Sankalpa for World peace – emotional, mental and beyond.

Since taking these wonderful medicines (mantras), many desires, conflicts and attachments in this child's world has faded away some so subtle that what seemed a burden yesterday are flower petals today. This child continues to say thank you Mother, You are so so Wonderful. With these medicines, we can take them in any dosage and at anytime with no adverse affects.

Today, is a wonderful day to begin offering those attachments in prayer, while celebrating the love and devotion of our Beloved Guru – the One who takes us across.

Jai Maa Jai Swamiji

Guest guest

When you have non-attached do you ever feel guilty because you get caught up in money problems at home just an example. This one bothers me the most. Tell you my story me and hubby was having problems he had lost his job and was angry and taking it out on me i finally had it and left him the only place i had to go to was a homeless shelter. I definitely learned real quick to be unattached to worldly and material things there real quick. I did alot of praying and meditating while there. Well we did get back together later when i came home material things meant nothing to me i left them so easily before and when i came home they meant nothing. I felt so much better then but now sometimes i do feel guilty for getting attached somewhat again. I feel somewhat non-attached but do get alittle wrapped up into money alot so i have to watch myself thru this process. I know one of you mentioned that financial security is your duty but how do you get over the guilt

it makes you feel if you want more. Do you feel this is being obsessed or attached or am I just being paranoid? Seshmet

No need to miss a message. Get email on-the-go with Mail for Mobile. Get started.

Guest guest

Hindu philosophy prepares us for ..the 4 aims in life.,....dharma (virtues) artha (wealth) kama (sexual activities) and moksha (renunciation) Its mentioned over and over again. In other words without external fulfillment how do we create tranquility within? For that matter, what do we renounce when we actually have nothing to give up? Renouncing the virtues is even more difficult than renouncing the vices says the wise sages from India. Wealth and dharma are virtues we have gained from our karmas. But to attain moksha we have to give that away eventually. As going beyond is to transcend all qualities even. Where there is no good or bad. In the end its just an experience. Spiritual insight teaches us resilience and patience. Acceptance and knowing that we cannot evade our destinies. Guidance from the higher souls teach us to move towards our ultimate goal. Live our lives the way it was meant to be and grow every moment

so that there comes a day when we can walk away from all this without looking back. We have completed what we came here for in the first place. We have fulfilled the purpose of our lives. And its time to walk on to our ultimate destination. Every event in life is actually pushing us towards our ultimate destination. In the end we anyway give it away and find our freedom. Love MimiSeshmet <zirafox9 wrote: When you have non-attached do you ever feel guilty because you get caught up in money problems at home just an example. This one bothers me the most. Tell you my story me and hubby was having problems he had lost his job and was angry and taking it out on me i finally had it and left him the only place i had to go to was a homeless shelter. I definitely learned real quick to be unattached to worldly and material things there real quick. I did alot of praying and meditating while there. Well we did get back together later when i came home material things meant nothing to me i left them so easily before and when i came home they meant nothing. I felt so much better then but now sometimes i do feel guilty for getting attached somewhat again. I feel somewhat non-attached but do get alittle wrapped up into money alot so i have to watch myself thru this process. I know one of you mentioned

that financial security is your duty but how do you get over the guilt it makes you feel if you want more. Do you feel this is being obsessed or attached or am I just being paranoid? Seshmet No need to miss a message. Get email on-the-go with Mail for Mobile. Get started.

Don't pick lemons.

See all the new 2007 cars at Autos.

Guest guest

You may want to consider a broader interpretation of the four aims of

life. Dharma is often defined as righteous duty, kama as all desire,

and moksha as liberation. Renunciation is not really an aim of life,

but rather a means towards the aim of liberation. In fact, it is

worldly people who are the real renunciants, giving up the greater

joys of the soul for a few earthly pleasures.

With the four stages of life, one who has renunciation dominant in

their heart and can sometimes move early to the fourth stage,

sannyas, with no need to pass through all the other ashramas. And so

it is with the four aims of life. When the aim of moksha burns very

brightly in your heart, then kama and artha become less important.

One's dharma and moksha then become one.

, mimi spirit

<mimi_female_spirit wrote:

>

> Hindu philosophy prepares us for ..the 4 aims in life.,....dharma

(virtues) artha (wealth) kama (sexual activities) and moksha

(renunciation) Its mentioned over and over again. In other words

without external fulfillment how do we create tranquility within? For

that matter, what do we renounce when we actually have nothing to

give up? Renouncing the virtues is even more difficult than

renouncing the vices says the wise sages from India. Wealth and

dharma are virtues we have gained from our karmas. But to attain

moksha we have to give that away eventually. As going beyond is to

transcend all qualities even. Where there is no good or bad. In the

end its just an experience. Spiritual insight teaches us resilience

and patience. Acceptance and knowing that we cannot evade our

destinies. Guidance from the higher souls teach us to move towards

our ultimate goal. Live our lives the way it was meant to be and grow

every moment so that there comes a day when we can walk away from all

> this without looking back. We have completed what we came here for

in the first place. We have fulfilled the purpose of our lives. And

its time to walk on to our ultimate destination. Every event in life

is actually pushing us towards our ultimate destination. In the end

we anyway give it away and find our freedom.

> Love

> Mimi

>

Guest guest

Attachments are the shackles of advancement in spiritual life. You

consciously give up attachments to progress spiritually.

But the much easier path is total surrender to MAA. She will ensure

that your attachments fall off.

Sri Ramakrishna had taught us about this and also how a householder

can achieve spiritual advancement. The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna deals

with this in detail.

What happens when you give up attachments? You attain what is called

in Avadhuta Gita as Sahaja.

Sahaja is that nature which, when once established, brings the state

of absolute freedom and peace. It is when you are in your natural

state, in the harmony of the Cosmos. It is the balanced reality

between the pairs of opposites.

As Bhagavad Gita says: " The person who has conquered the baser self

and has reached to the level of self mastery: he is at peace, whether

it be in cold or hot, pleasure or pain, honoured or dishonoured. "

Thus Sahaja expresses one who has reverted to his natural state, free

from conditioning. It typifies the outlook which belongs to the

natural, spontaneous and uninhibited man, free from innate or

inherited defects.

Sri Ramakrishna and Ramana Maharshi are some of the Saints who had

reached this stage.

Guest guest

Thanks a lot Aniruddhan. I know what you mean. I think I'd like to add a small experience of mine. At that time I was living in Kolkata, India. I had just lost my husband. Situation was very depressing. A widow at 35 with a 10 year old son. Unemployed with huge responsibilities. Not really knowing where to go for support. Often I found myself in temples, sitting quietly contemplating on my future. It was so peaceful there that I came to a point when I thought "This is where I want to be. Who wants to go back to all that suffering?" One day a friend, philosopher and guide came to me. He had only one thing to say. This isn't a place where you can escape from challenges in life. This isn't a place where you sit leaving your child at home. You don't come here because you are depressed and want to escape situations. You will come back when the time is right. When you have fulfilled your obligations. Completed your tasks in life.

This place will be waiting for you. And wherever you go this sanctuary will travel with you. I saw the truth in his words. I have travelled miles and miles away from home. First I travelled through Indian villages. Learnt new skills. Then I travelled outside India and learnt to expand myself. My son is now 20 years old. I didn't limit my responsibility to one child. I took on responsibilities of more people. I learnt not only to create work for myself but I learnt to create honest livelihood for other women. The point is I understood what that saint was saying. I didn't try to evade my destiny. Just flow with it as I knew the time will come when I can go back home and like he said the sanctuary travels with me. Knowledge is an internal process. I cannot be pretentious when it comes to truth. Evolution is a natural phenomena. I cannot force myself to be something that I am not. It has to happen within and naturally. In other words my friend, philosopher and guide

taught me to be true to myself. And made sure I blossomed like I was meant to be. It didn't make me lesser or more. I was just being true to myself and accepting the process of natural evolution within and outside. Finding the true purpose of life. And nothing teaches us more than life itself. But without spiritual insight I found life loses its charm. And without surrender ego takes over. And without prayers, the mind loses its strength. So the sanctuary stays within and I learnt to balance all my activities. Love Mimianiruddhan <aniruddhan wrote: You may want to consider a broader interpretation of the four aims of life. Dharma is often defined as righteous duty, kama as all desire, and moksha as liberation. Renunciation is not really an aim of life, but rather a means towards the aim of liberation. In fact, it is worldly people who are the real renunciants, giving up the greater joys of the soul for a few earthly pleasures. With the four stages of life, one who has renunciation dominant in their heart and can sometimes move early to the fourth stage, sannyas, with no need to pass through all the other ashramas. And so it is with the four aims of life. When the aim of moksha burns very brightly in your heart, then kama and artha become less important. One's dharma and moksha then become one. , mimi spirit <mimi_female_spirit wrote:>> Hindu philosophy prepares us for ..the 4 aims in life.,....dharma (virtues) artha (wealth) kama (sexual activities) and moksha (renunciation) Its mentioned over and over again. In other words without external fulfillment how do we create tranquility within? For that matter, what do we renounce when we actually have nothing to give up? Renouncing the virtues is even more difficult than renouncing the vices says the wise sages from India. Wealth and dharma are virtues we have gained from our karmas. But to attain moksha we have to give that away eventually. As going beyond is to transcend all qualities even. Where there is no good or bad. In the end its just an experience. Spiritual insight teaches us resilience and patience. Acceptance and knowing that we cannot

evade our destinies. Guidance from the higher souls teach us to move towards our ultimate goal. Live our lives the way it was meant to be and grow every moment so that there comes a day when we can walk away from all> this without looking back. We have completed what we came here for in the first place. We have fulfilled the purpose of our lives. And its time to walk on to our ultimate destination. Every event in life is actually pushing us towards our ultimate destination. In the end we anyway give it away and find our freedom. > Love> Mimi>

Bored stiff? Loosen up...Download and play hundreds of games for free on Games.

Guest guest

"Therefore, God has a plan for everything, everything happens for areason." I just read the story from the book Guru and the goddess last night about the cut finger and all, just have to remember this saying every time things go wrong in my life or not the way I want. I know it is true but sometimes remember this saying above is hard and the anger comes thru but I am working on it. Seems like all the questions I have had lately are coming up in the book the next day when i read it, it is funny how this is happening just like it is planned, LOL. Whoever requested this book thanks so much. :) Seshmet

It's here! Your new message!Get

new email alerts with the free Toolbar.

Guest guest

Seshmet said: "I know one of you mentioned that financial security is your duty but how do you get over the guilt it makes you feel if you want more."There is no need to feel guilty. Maa says, "Love and trust in God. don't ask for anything else". i think we could take that to mean that Divine Mother will provide us with as much as we need, not more or less. So, there's nothing to worry about. Everything is Her desire. We can just let go and work efficiently - everything that's needed to fulfil our dharma and experience our karma, will come to us. Jai Maa !Seshmet <zirafox9 wrote: When you have non-attached do you ever feel guilty because you get caught up in money problems at home just an example. This one bothers me the most. Tell you my story me and hubby was having problems he had lost his job and was angry and taking it out on me i finally had it and left him the only place i had to go to was a homeless shelter. I definitely learned real quick to be unattached to worldly and material things there real quick. I did alot of praying and meditating while there. Well we did get back together later when i came home material things meant nothing to me i left them so easily before and when i came home they meant nothing. I felt so much better then but now sometimes i do feel guilty for getting attached somewhat again. I feel somewhat non-attached but do get alittle wrapped up

into money alot so i have to watch myself thru this process. I know one of you mentioned that financial security is your duty but how do you get over the guilt it makes you feel if you want more. Do you feel this is being obsessed or attached or am I just being paranoid? Seshmet No need to miss a message. Get email on-the-go with Mail for Mobile. Get started.

Finding fabulous fares is fun.Let FareChase search your favorite travel sites to find flight and hotel bargains.

Guest guest

Thank you Kalia. This is really wonderful...kaliananda_saraswati <kaliananda_saraswati wrote: Dear friends and family, We are on a path seeking to free our minds from the burdens which makes one attached to this temporal world of objects and relationships and many times in our quest to be free from

this or that we build more and more attachments. I say this because there was a time when i felt that "I" had to give up this or that attachment and when the methods tried did not work, there would be anger and resentment. One day while sitting at the fire at the Blessed Feet of Maa and Swamiji I asked Swamiji about this and he said (not his exact words) Give it to Mother, you have no power everything is Her Desire. I understood what Swamiji said in principle but not in theory so I brought those words with me though not very good at meditation, I pondered on them for what seemed like ages. One early morning during puja, a prayer came to my lips which i repeat daily, the prayer seeks pure love, pure

devotion, wisdom and understanding of the Vedas and surrender at the Beloved Feet of Mother. This prayer is offered in the knowledge that Mother's Will be done. OM. When we think of the wonderful work being done with this group, it is as though Mother, in Her Infinite Goodness, has looked into our minds and knowing our weaknesses and pure desires, has brought us together to help each other even if only through the group sankalpas. The first is what this child calls the mantra for cleansing the soul – the MM mantra which is repeated at least 21 times every Saturday by Xamount of brothers and sisters all over the Universe. Last year there was the Earth Mother Sankalpa – my

thought for this was both Mother Earth and the physical body, this year the Sankalpa for World peace – emotional, mental and beyond. Since taking these wonderful medicines (mantras), many desires, conflicts and attachments in this child's world has faded away some so subtle that what seemed a burden yesterday are flower petals today. This child continues to say thank you Mother, You are so so Wonderful. With these medicines, we can take them in any dosage and at anytime with no adverse affects. Today, is a wonderful day to begin offering those attachments in prayer, while celebrating the love and devotion of our Beloved Guru – the One who takes us across. Jai Maa Jai Swamiji

Now that's room service! Choose from over 150,000 hotels in 45,000 destinations on Travel to find your fit.

Guest guest

Namaste and greetings from someone who had walked the way that you went and came back: It is easier said than done and many have said in so many ways that the paths might appear confusing, as we slowly disassociate from the pangs of financial insecurity. Living in America or in any anyother part of the world one suffers the effects of external financial burdens- they could be mortgages, student loans, credit cards, health insurance, medical expenses, college fees,clothing, food, shelter cost, transportation et al. The perfect answer would be to walk away and become a "sannyasi", renounce and become a "digambara" or mendicant. living under care of others.This step is not easiely achieved !! But the true warrior in this world of anxiety, fiscal woes and external pressures, is the one who could gradually ascribe the current stages of affectations to the deeds or results of past karma, and allocate these to the lotus feet of your guru or the favorite 'god'

- whether Ganesh or Lakshmi or Krishna or Rama or Shiva or Durga or Kali or to the living exemplary gurus such as Shree Maa and Swamiji. By refusing to buckle under pressure, you will be able to do the daily chores, balancing funds to the most dire essentials, and avoid any splurges, which cannot be easily justified. That does not mean that one has to live in abject poverty. The balance of needs against wants and available resources will dictate the amounts to spend on luxuries or wastes. That will allow you to enjoy the fruits of the daily labor of love, devotion and sanctity of thoughts. Just imagine how many other who are so much "poorer" in resources are managing to live with clearly smoother and calmer thinking but in peace in their hearts. It has to come from within, when we avoid comparisons to "others" and avoid dubious copy cat living-styles. Simply offer each action to the powers that guide us and not to your own volition or choices. The results will

come from inside your heart and guide you through the motions needed to sustain life, even under straining conditions. Once in way, step back from the action, its causes and its results, and you will suddenly feel that attachments will fall away as dried leaves in autumn. More will spring later, and by constantly connecting with the inner power of discreet discrimination , you can direct your energies to worthwhile actions, by surrendering the results(whatever they might be) to the ultimate SOURCE. Let peace and success come your way as we say JAI MAA and JAI SWAMIJI!!! With love and best wishes, babu krishnan

Guest guest

We have been discussing attachments. In this regard the words of

Bhartrihari is very relevant.

Bhartrihari is the author of Vairagya Satakam (hundred verses on

renunciation). In the verses, he reflects the inner struggles an

aspirant faces in his Sadhana. He was a king of Ujjaini and was said

to be an extremely powerful and rich king. However, he renounced

everything and became one of the great Yogis. The reason can be traced

to one of the verses (verse 31) in his Vairagya Satakam

With enjoyment, comes fear of disease

With social position, fear of disfavor

With riches, fear of hostile people (kings)

With honor, fear of humiliation

With power, fear of enemies

With beauty, fear of old age

With scholarship, fear of challengers

With virtue, fear of traducers (one who attacks the reputation of

another by slander or libel)

With the identification with body, fear of death

Everything in this world is done with fear

Renunciation alone makes one fearless.

In a later verse (35), he brings out the beauty of self-surrender

Life trembles, like a drop of water on the edge of a lotus leaf

then it is swallowed by the wind

The wise fix their mind in Truth, which comes to all in the

calm of self-surrender achieved by renunciation

His other works, Niti-Satakam and Sringara-Satakam are hundred verses

on worldly wisdom and love, respectively.

Guest guest

Thank you for sharing this wisdom.

Om Shanti

, " Sankar Viswanathan "

<sankarrukku wrote:

>

> We have been discussing attachments. In this regard the words of

> Bhartrihari is very relevant.

>

> Bhartrihari is the author of Vairagya Satakam (hundred verses on

> renunciation). In the verses, he reflects the inner struggles an

> aspirant faces in his Sadhana. He was a king of Ujjaini and was said

> to be an extremely powerful and rich king. However, he renounced

> everything and became one of the great Yogis. The reason can be traced

> to one of the verses (verse 31) in his Vairagya Satakam

>

> With enjoyment, comes fear of disease

> With social position, fear of disfavor

> With riches, fear of hostile people (kings)

> With honor, fear of humiliation

> With power, fear of enemies

> With beauty, fear of old age

> With scholarship, fear of challengers

> With virtue, fear of traducers (one who attacks the reputation of

> another by slander or libel)

> With the identification with body, fear of death

> Everything in this world is done with fear

> Renunciation alone makes one fearless.

>

> In a later verse (35), he brings out the beauty of self-surrender

>

> Life trembles, like a drop of water on the edge of a lotus leaf

> then it is swallowed by the wind

> The wise fix their mind in Truth, which comes to all in the

> calm of self-surrender achieved by renunciation

>

> His other works, Niti-Satakam and Sringara-Satakam are hundred verses

> on worldly wisdom and love, respectively.

>