IndiaDivine.org

Sal

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Greetings Sal,

I really enjoyed reading your post, thanks for sharing your insight and info!

I also work in the field of disabilities...

Melissa

Ontario Canada

-

sal.

Monday, June 11, 2007 12:20 PM

[www.ShreeMaa.org] Re: GRADUATION BLUES

peace to you, Vish. Congratulations on the achievement of your son!My question to you is, was it the obligation of the education system to have fulfilled the missing pieces of these children, or were their souls missing out from the beginning? Other than a sheet of paper that shows you've fulfilled some academic criteria (can you tell I read a lot of Krishnamurti?) is the raison d'etre of public education also to teach children how to behave as responsible, kind, empathetic souls having a human experience? That's a stretch for most people. Of course, you've taught your children the kinder gentler way, as I have. But I was not taught this way. One perpetuates the cycle or one chooses to breaks it.But it does not at all mean that our children internalize what we "teach" them. It's what they "learn". Our children are rewarded for everything. Good behavior, bad behavior. Cause and effect. They learn they can get something they want by throwing a fit as a toddler. Thus begins the real "education." It isn't what matters to us, it's what matters in the mind of the child.On the academic front, we teach our children war history, but nothing on how to get along and prevent war and foster true global peace in the first place. What have they learned?My daughter just came home from summer school Health class morning. This morning's lesson was on anger control and self esteem. One day in five weeks of relevant life skills. Five weeks. She's almost 18. I'm sort of thinking if she wasn't modeled, taught and doesn't marginally possess these skills by now, it's going to be a little tough to grasp internally in order to want to change.Although it's hard not to feel sorry for the misguided souls you saw last night, I know you understand that this is, in fact, their exclusive life path, as well as their parents, as well as our own, and one can only pray that our collective awareness achieves its ultimate highest good, whatever that may be for all.I work in education. I teach high-risk teens with cognitive learning disabilities. Most can barely read or write. Academics will never be their priority. I will do my best with God's help to model kindness, respect, empathy, compassion, service and responsibility. Does that mean they will learn it? You gotta wanna.Here's to love and light for the future!sal. , "inspectionconnection108" <inspectionconnection108 wrote:>> NAMASTE: Last night my son graduated from high school in Napa. At> the graduation ceremony, several of the brightest students gave> speeches. The speeches were filled with angst and frustration about> the inexorable passing of time and the inability to cope with change.> Rather than seeing the potential of an unlimited future, they fretted> about the difficulties of the past and leaving friends and loved ones.> They were not happy or fulfilled.> My wife and I felt bad that all these young adults were departing> without a firm basis for moving into the next phase of their lives: > either jobs or college. > We are not providing the training which children need to gain> knowledge of themselves, which is the basis of all success and> fulfillment. If our schools are not teaching our children, then it is> up to us to teach them.> This knowledge we have been given can change the tide of negativity> and despair which seems so rife today. > We must teach our children, and we must do it now. Thanks to Maa and> Swami for this knowledge. > Please share suggestions on how to reach our children with this> information. Share how you have helped your children. Maa and Swami> really desire we reach out to the young folks.> > Jai Maa Jai Swami> > vishweshwar>