Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Namaste,

I am trying to learn the beginner's Durga Puja. I have two questions,

and I'd very much appreciate any help. 1) what are the 5 nectars

(panchamrita) that are offered? The book says that one can offer " the

following 8 liquid offerings " and then it seems that one of the 8 is

the panchamrita? Can anyone clarify what are the 8, and what are the 5?

2) is the light waved at the beginning a ghee/oil lamp or camphor, or

does it matter?

Thank you very much in advance,

Jai Maa!

Sushuddha

Guest guest

Namaste,

I believe the panchamritams are milk, sugar water,

ghee, yogurt, and honey mixed up together, sometimes

fruits such as date, jackfruit, banana, and coconut

milk are added. Im not sure about the eight but think

they are water as foot bah, milk, sugar, ghee, yogurt,

honey, panchamritam, and water again. I thought the

light used at beginning is the ghee lamp, and camphor

is a seperate offering. I'll let the experts give the

official report.

Pranams,

Eric

--- matthewgindin <matthewgindin wrote:

> Namaste,

>

> I am trying to learn the beginner's Durga Puja. I

> have two questions,

> and I'd very much appreciate any help. 1) what are

> the 5 nectars

> (panchamrita) that are offered? The book says that

> one can offer " the

> following 8 liquid offerings " and then it seems that

> one of the 8 is

> the panchamrita? Can anyone clarify what are the 8,

> and what are the 5?

> 2) is the light waved at the beginning a ghee/oil

> lamp or camphor, or

> does it matter?

> Thank you very much in advance,

> Jai Maa!

> Sushuddha

>

>

______________________________\

____

Be a better Globetrotter. Get better travel answers from someone who knows.

Answers - Check it out.

http://answers./dir/?link=list & sid=396545469

Guest guest

Whenever I hear "panchamritam", I am reminded of a prasad at Palani Murugan's temple. It is a combination of 5 fruits in honey... I am not sure if this is the one being referred to.... but this is what I think of when the word "panchamritam" is used. I think it might also refer to surrendering 5 negativities such as anger, passion, greed, lust and hatred. These are just thoughts more than answers... and I am not sure how correct or otherwise they are.Jai Maa..PrasanaEric Cassils <Quanchula1 wrote: Namaste, I believe the panchamritams are milk, sugar water, ghee, yogurt, and honey mixed up together, sometimes fruits such as date, jackfruit, banana, and coconut milk are added. Im not sure about the eight but think they are water as foot bah, milk, sugar, ghee, yogurt, honey, panchamritam, and water again. I thought the light used at beginning is the ghee lamp, and camphor is a seperate offering. I'll let the experts give the official report. Pranams, Eric --- matthewgindin <matthewgindin > wrote: > Namaste, > > I am trying to learn the beginner's Durga Puja. I > have two questions, > and I'd very much appreciate any help. 1) what are > the 5 nectars > (panchamrita) that are offered? The book says that > one can offer "the > following 8 liquid offerings" and

then it seems that > one of the 8 is > the panchamrita? Can anyone clarify what are the 8, > and what are the 5? > 2) is the light waved at the beginning a ghee/oil > lamp or camphor, or > does it matter? > Thank you very much in advance, > Jai Maa! > Sushuddha > > ________ Be a better Globetrotter. Get better travel answers from someone who knows. Answers - Check it out. http://answers./dir/?link=list & sid=396545469

Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha! Play Monopoly Here and Now (it's updated for today's economy) at Games.

Guest guest

Namaste Eric,

Thank you! That seems to all make sense.

Jai Maa

Susuddha

On 7/4/07, Eric Cassils <Quanchula1 wrote:

Namaste,I believe the panchamritams are milk, sugar water,ghee, yogurt, and honey mixed up together, sometimesfruits such as date, jackfruit, banana, and coconutmilk are added. Im not sure about the eight but think

they are water as foot bah, milk, sugar, ghee, yogurt,honey, panchamritam, and water again. I thought thelight used at beginning is the ghee lamp, and camphoris a seperate offering. I'll let the experts give the

official report.Pranams,Eric--- matthewgindin <matthewgindin

> wrote:> Namaste,> > I am trying to learn the beginner's Durga Puja. I> have two questions, > and I'd very much appreciate any help. 1) what are> the 5 nectars > (panchamrita) that are offered? The book says that> one can offer " the > following 8 liquid offerings " and then it seems that> one of the 8 is > the panchamrita? Can anyone clarify what are the 8,

> and what are the 5?> 2) is the light waved at the beginning a ghee/oil> lamp or camphor, or > does it matter?> Thank you very much in advance,> Jai Maa!> Sushuddha> > ________Be a better Globetrotter. Get better travel answers from someone who knows. Answers - Check it out.

http://answers./dir/?link=list & sid=396545469 -- Matthew GindinTO, Canada

416-633-7765

Guest guest

Dear Sushuddha,

Namaste.

In the files section carries a file on Shiva Puja for Beginners. Along

with the assistance given by Eric, you will find the answers to this and

many other questions which may come up. In any event, do ask any

question if you are unsure and someone will be sure to help.

Jai Durga Maa

, " matthewgindin " <matthewgindin

wrote:

>

> Namaste,

>

> I am trying to learn the beginner's Durga Puja. I have two questions,

> and I'd very much appreciate any help. 1) what are the 5 nectars

> (panchamrita) that are offered? The book says that one can offer " the

> following 8 liquid offerings " and then it seems that one of the 8 is

> the panchamrita? Can anyone clarify what are the 8, and what are the

5?

> 2) is the light waved at the beginning a ghee/oil lamp or camphor, or

> does it matter?

> Thank you very much in advance,

> Jai Maa!

> Sushuddha

>

Guest guest

I think the panchamritam is milk, yogurt, ghee, honey, and sugar. Pancha means five. There is another offering called madhuparka, which is only three - Yogurt, honey and ghee. Maybe the eight you mention refers to the five panchamritam plus the three of madhuparka. I believe madhu means sweet. Jai Maa Durga.Eric Cassils <Quanchula1 wrote: Namaste,I believe the panchamritams are milk, sugar water,ghee, yogurt, and honey mixed up together, sometimesfruits such as date, jackfruit,

banana, and coconutmilk are added. Im not sure about the eight but thinkthey are water as foot bah, milk, sugar, ghee, yogurt,honey, panchamritam, and water again. I thought thelight used at beginning is the ghee lamp, and camphoris a seperate offering. I'll let the experts give theofficial report.Pranams,Eric--- matthewgindin <matthewgindin > wrote:> Namaste,> > I am trying to learn the beginner's Durga Puja. I> have two questions, > and I'd very much appreciate any help. 1) what are> the 5 nectars > (panchamrita) that are offered? The book says that> one can offer "the > following 8 liquid offerings" and then it seems that> one of the 8 is > the panchamrita? Can anyone clarify what are the 8,> and what are the 5?> 2) is the light waved at the beginning a

ghee/oil> lamp or camphor, or > does it matter?> Thank you very much in advance,> Jai Maa!> Sushuddha> > ________Be a better Globetrotter. Get better travel answers from someone who knows. Answers - Check it out.http://answers./dir/?link=list & sid=396545469

Sick sense of humor? Visit TV's Comedy with an Edge to see what's on, when.

Guest guest

Thank you. I read through the Shiva Puja and found the answers! Thanks also to Ray for the symbolic interpretation of the panchamrita.

Jai Maa!

Sushuddha

On 7/5/07, kaliananda_saraswati <kaliananda_saraswati wrote:

Dear Sushuddha,Namaste.In the files section carries a file on Shiva Puja for Beginners. Alongwith the assistance given by Eric, you will find the answers to this andmany other questions which may come up. In any event, do ask any

question if you are unsure and someone will be sure to help.Jai Durga Maa

, " matthewgindin " <matthewgindinwrote:>> Namaste,>> I am trying to learn the beginner's Durga Puja. I have two questions,> and I'd very much appreciate any help. 1) what are the 5 nectars

> (panchamrita) that are offered? The book says that one can offer " the> following 8 liquid offerings " and then it seems that one of the 8 is> the panchamrita? Can anyone clarify what are the 8, and what are the

5?> 2) is the light waved at the beginning a ghee/oil lamp or camphor, or> does it matter?> Thank you very much in advance,> Jai Maa!> Sushuddha>

-- Matthew GindinTO, Canada

416-633-7765