IndiaDivine.org

Inside Sutras -- 3 - The Fire Rules

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear All,Thanks Devi and Surya for your responses. Yes Suryaji, we can take a quick shower after using the toilet, a full fledged "bath" is not necessary. And Deviji, I have forwarded your question to Swamiji and will post when he responds. Thank for your question and interest.

Continuing on ... here is an extract from the book "Inside Sutras" . Acknowledgement and thanks to Swamiji/Rami/Srini.

"Do not Disturb Others: When we have already commenced a vow of worship, every body who was not here at the start and who had not been observing this discipline from inception, will be entering into our sankalpa. Therefore, people are invited to enter in such a way as it does not disturb what we are already doing. Chant in a way that does not disturb others"

Swamiji had once said that at the Mandir, people chanting at the fire will get precedence over others chanting at their own altars in the temple. ie , if we see someone/ a group already chanting at the fire, we may choose to join them or do our own puja somewhere else in the hall. Should we choose to chant elsewhere in the hall, we should be conscious and chant in low tone so as to not disturb the bhava of those chanting at the fire. Incase, we want to sit at the fire, then we should follow the same mantra that is being chanted, and not do our own mantra unless we are sitting silently.It is very important to preserve the bhava at the fire.

This is a small but important point to remember, so that we add to our experience at the Mandir.

Here are some rules at the fire1) We only offer sanctified offerings at the fire - ie masala, ghee and during purnahuti - coconut/fruit/ flower/food offerings.

2)Ladies in their monthly cycle do not offer masala at the fire. They may sit around the fire and chant along with others, but do not offer masala.

3) Do not throw any pieces of paper and (shudder) garbage into the fire. The fire is Chandi and we offer Her only the best and the purest.

4) There is a place around the fire, next to the Narmadeshwar Shiva Lingam where a note is placed "do not sit here when Swamiji is chanting at the fire". Please honor that note and do not feel tempted to occupy the spot thinking that it will give you a vantage view of Swamiji. We leave that spot free because Swamiji gets a direct view of the Cosmic altar from where he is seated. So please leave that spot empty ...

5) If you are seated at the back, do not throw the masala from where you are seated ... even if you have a good arm. You dont want to rain rice over the people before you. (I have come away feeling like a newly wed many times, such is the amount of rice that feel on my head)

6) Here is an important rule -- please give Swamiji his space . Do NOT step over his books or his asan.

Any thoughts ? Please feel free to share.

LoveNanda

Namaste Nanda Maa! And thank you for sharing this... it is wonderful

and useful information.

My question is about this:

>

> 2)Ladies in their monthly cycle do not offer masala at the fire. They may

> sit around the fire and chant along with others, but do not offer masala.

>

I am not sure why this is so. It suggests that women are " impure "

during their monthly cycle. Is menstruation not the manifestation of

the Divine Mother herself?

This injunction is confusing to me, because on the website it states

that women on their periods are not impure, and that they should take

part in all aspects of worship while on their period:

http://www.shreemaa.org/drupal-4.7.3/ambuvaci_0

As a devotee of Kamakhya Maa, I cherish the prasad of Her red sari

from Ambubachi, and make pilgrimage to worship Her at this most sacred

time.

If the time of menstruation is a time for women to get into ultimate

touch with the divine consciousness, then what bettertime to offer

masala to the fire, from that place of deep connection?

Insight is welcomed and appreciated.

prema saa'ham

-sundari

Namaste Sundari Maa,

I really have no idea/authority, but will share that the explanation

given to me is not about purity or impurity but about the flow of

energy. That at the fire the intent is to raise energy, as in up the

chakras. During menstruation a woman's energy flow is naturally moving

downward, physically and metaphysically. There is not judgment in

this, indeed is it is a natural and pure expression of the Divine

Feminine, just a reality. I took it that as a woman in my cycle I do

not want to work in counter forces with others nor do I want them to

pull me from my natural state. It is a powerful time to rest and turn

inward, and indeed the Mother may manifest herself powerfully in us at

that time. In the company of my friends, I will meet Her on the alter

of my heart and even at my root chakra where I know all my material

and security needs are met by her.

If I miss speak I apologize and look forward to Shree Maa and

Swamiji's wisdom on this matter.

Om Shanti,

Sadhu Maa

, " Erin Johansen "

<erin.johansen wrote:

>

> Namaste Nanda Maa! And thank you for sharing this... it is wonderful

> and useful information.

>

> My question is about this:

>

> >

> > 2)Ladies in their monthly cycle do not offer masala at the fire.

They may

> > sit around the fire and chant along with others, but do not offer

masala.

> >

>

> I am not sure why this is so. It suggests that women are " impure "

> during their monthly cycle. Is menstruation not the manifestation of

> the Divine Mother herself?

>

> This injunction is confusing to me, because on the website it states

> that women on their periods are not impure, and that they should take

> part in all aspects of worship while on their period:

>

> http://www.shreemaa.org/drupal-4.7.3/ambuvaci_0

>

> As a devotee of Kamakhya Maa, I cherish the prasad of Her red sari

> from Ambubachi, and make pilgrimage to worship Her at this most sacred

> time.

>

> If the time of menstruation is a time for women to get into ultimate

> touch with the divine consciousness, then what bettertime to offer

> masala to the fire, from that place of deep connection?

>

> Insight is welcomed and appreciated.

>

> prema saa'ham

> -sundari

>

Namaste Nandaji:These are pretty common sense rules especially from an Asian perspective. In South/Southeast Asia stepping on someone, someone's things or pointing one's feet at someone is pretty disrespectful. I have heard the this about women's menstruation as well. One book that I was browsing through also mentioned (Loving Ganesha by Satguru Sivaya Subramuniyaswami) that if a person had a serious injury that they too should avoid offerings or avoid the puja area. Is that right, Nanda? Could you clarify that for me?Thanks,Shankari KaliNanda <chandimaakijai wrote: Dear All,Thanks Devi and Surya for your responses. Yes Suryaji, we can take a quick shower after using the toilet, a full fledged "bath" is not necessary. And Deviji, I have forwarded your question to Swamiji and will post when he responds. Thank for your question and interest. Continuing on ... here is an extract from the book "Inside Sutras" . Acknowledgement and thanks to Swamiji/Rami/Srini. "Do not Disturb Others: When we have already commenced a vow of worship, every body who was not here at the start and who had not been observing this discipline from inception, will be entering into our sankalpa. Therefore, people are invited to enter in such a way as it does not disturb what we are already doing. Chant in a way that does not disturb

others" Swamiji had once said that at the Mandir, people chanting at the fire will get precedence over others chanting at their own altars in the temple. ie , if we see someone/ a group already chanting at the fire, we may choose to join them or do our own puja somewhere else in the hall. Should we choose to chant elsewhere in the hall, we should be conscious and chant in low tone so as to not disturb the bhava of those chanting at the fire. Incase, we want to sit at the fire, then we should follow the same mantra that is being chanted, and not do our own mantra unless we are sitting silently.It is very important to preserve the bhava at the fire. This is a small but important point to remember, so that we add to our experience at the Mandir. Here are some rules at the fire1) We only offer sanctified offerings at the fire - ie masala, ghee

and during purnahuti - coconut/fruit/ flower/food offerings. 2)Ladies in their monthly cycle do not offer masala at the fire. They may sit around the fire and chant along with others, but do not offer masala. 3) Do not throw any pieces of paper and (shudder) garbage into the fire. The fire is Chandi and we offer Her only the best and the purest. 4) There is a place around the fire, next to the Narmadeshwar Shiva Lingam where a note is placed "do not sit here when Swamiji is chanting at the fire". Please honor that note and do not feel tempted to occupy the spot thinking that it will give you a vantage view of Swamiji. We leave that spot free because Swamiji gets a direct view of the Cosmic altar from where he is seated. So please leave that spot empty ... 5) If you are seated at the back, do not throw the masala

from where you are seated ... even if you have a good arm. You dont want to rain rice over the people before you. (I have come away feeling like a newly wed many times, such is the amount of rice that feel on my head) 6) Here is an important rule -- please give Swamiji his space . Do NOT step over his books or his asan. Any thoughts ? Please feel free to share. LoveNanda

Fussy? Opinionated? Impossible to please? Perfect. Join 's user panel and lay it on us.

I LIKE this Sadhu Maa, Very beautifully stated. Not just harsh do's and don'ts that seem judgemental and can so easily push people away or hurt delicate feelings but logical reasons that help us to understand more clearly why! And also look forward to hearing from Maa and Swamiji if they care to give their teaching on this.Sadhu Maa <sadumaa wrote: Namaste Sundari Maa,I really have no idea/authority, but will share that the explanationgiven to me is not about purity or

impurity but about the flow ofenergy. That at the fire the intent is to raise energy, as in up thechakras. During menstruation a woman's energy flow is naturally movingdownward, physically and metaphysically. There is not judgment inthis, indeed is it is a natural and pure expression of the DivineFeminine, just a reality. I took it that as a woman in my cycle I donot want to work in counter forces with others nor do I want them topull me from my natural state. It is a powerful time to rest and turninward, and indeed the Mother may manifest herself powerfully in us atthat time. In the company of my friends, I will meet Her on the alterof my heart and even at my root chakra where I know all my materialand security needs are met by her.If I miss speak I apologize and look forward to Shree Maa andSwamiji's wisdom on this matter.Om Shanti,Sadhu Maa , "Erin Johansen"<erin.johansen wrote:>> Namaste Nanda Maa! And thank you for sharing this... it is wonderful> and useful information.> > My question is about this:> > >> > 2)Ladies in their monthly cycle do not offer masala at the fire.They may> > sit around the fire and chant along with others, but do not offermasala.> >> > I am not sure why this is so. It suggests that women are "impure"> during their monthly cycle. Is menstruation not the manifestation of> the Divine Mother herself?> > This injunction is confusing to me, because on the website it states> that women on their periods are not impure, and that they should take> part in all aspects of worship while on their period:> > http://www.shreemaa.org/drupal-4.7.3/ambuvaci_0> > As a devotee of Kamakhya Maa, I cherish the prasad of Her red sari> from Ambubachi, and make pilgrimage to worship Her at this most sacred> time.> > If the time of menstruation is a time for women to get into ultimate> touch with the divine consciousness, then what bettertime to offer> masala to the fire, from that place of deep connection?> > Insight is welcomed and appreciated.> > prema saa'ham> -sundari>

Fussy? Opinionated? Impossible to please? Perfect. Join 's user panel and lay it on us.