IndiaDivine.org

Inside Sutras -- 6 - Care for the Shiva Lingams

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear All,Thanks Wendy. Glad you are enjoying the excerpts from the book... and yes some more to come..Continuing on ... here is another extract from the book "Inside Sutras" . Acknowledgement and thanks to Swamiji/Rami/Srini."The Shiva Lingam near HomaThe area around the Shiva Lingam must be kept clean at all times.The water that is offered to Shiva Collects in a bucket at the base of the Lingam. This water may be used to water the plants around the temple.Wash the Lingam regularly with clean water and wipe it down gently with a clean cloth. Remember to clean the base also and all the other articles of worship around the base of the Lingam regularly as well. When the Lingam is very dirty or sticky , you may need to use soap and water to clean. Use your discrimination.Napeshwar Shiva LingamGive Lord Shiva a mustard oil coating three times per week, Monday, Wednesday and Sunday, and a soap and water bath atleast once a week. After multiple applications, the mustard oil will form a thick , sticky residue if the Lingam is not washed with soap and water regularly. Remember to clean Him thoroughly and respectfully.Sweep His platform atleast three times a week."Jai SHIVA !!!Nanda

Thank you, Nandaji, for these valuable posts.

I have some questions concerning care for a Shiva Lingam:

-during puja, the Shiva Lingam on my altar gets decorated with perfume

and powders and flowers etc. He stays that way the whole day, and then

in the evening I remove everything and 'put Him to bed' by hiding the

Lingam under a (artificial) heap of flowers, which I take away in the

morning before starting puja. The tricky thing is how and when to

remove the powders and clean the Lingam. It is separate from the base

(it is a very small stone lingam in a copper base), and some of the

powder sometimes falls in between Lingam and base and this gets messy.

Can I remove the Lingam from the base in order to clean both? Or

should the Lingam stay in the same position always and would it be

better to offer the powders on a flower? At present I compromise by

gently wiping the powders away with a cloth, but seeing how

cleanliness is stressed in the Inside Sutras, I feel I may not be

doing this right.

-If the lingam plus base (or any murti) is installed on an asan, how

do we clean them? Can we lift them up and put them back? Or do we

manoeuver around them?

looking forward to the next sutras,

with love,

Henny

, " Nanda " <chandimaakijai

wrote:

>

> Dear All,

>

> Thanks Wendy. Glad you are enjoying the excerpts from the book...

and

> yes some more to come..

>

> Continuing on ... here is another extract from the book " Inside

Sutras "

> . Acknowledgement and thanks to Swamiji/Rami/Srini.

>

> " The Shiva Lingam near Homa

>

>

> * The area around the Shiva Lingam must be kept clean at all

times.

> * The water that is offered to Shiva Collects in a bucket at the

base

> of the Lingam. This water may be used to water the plants around the

> temple.

> * Wash the Lingam regularly with clean water and wipe it down

gently

> with a clean cloth. Remember to clean the base also and all the

other

> articles of worship around the base of the Lingam regularly as well.

> When the Lingam is very dirty or sticky , you may need to use soap

and

> water to clean. Use your discrimination.

>

> Napeshwar Shiva Lingam

>

>

> * Give Lord Shiva a mustard oil coating three times per week,

Monday,

> Wednesday and Sunday, and a soap and water bath atleast once a week.

> After multiple applications, the mustard oil will form a thick ,

> residue if the Lingam is not washed with soap and water regularly.

> Remember to clean Him thoroughly and respectfully.

> * Sweep His platform atleast three times a week. "

>

> Jai SHIVA !!!

> Nanda

>

Thank you Henny I have the same question. I clean up and put the lingam to bed and cover it with the cloth. But I leave the face painted on. The milk, ghee and such are collected in a bowl each day and after offering the five mixed He is washed with it on a piece of paper towel and then after Ganga (bath water) He is rinsed with that on a paper towel then dried and then offering continues till He is dressed and then undressed in evening and all begins again. I also lift him up on occation to wash His feet during puja with purified water. But also wonder if this is correct. Would love some information on how this should be done. Thank you Nanda for helping us with these questions. Devihenny_v_i <henny_v_i wrote: Thank you, Nandaji, for these valuable posts. I have some questions concerning care for a Shiva Lingam: -during puja, the Shiva Lingam on my altar gets decorated with perfume and powders and flowers etc. He stays that way the whole day, and then in the evening I remove everything and 'put Him to bed' by hiding the Lingam under a (artificial) heap of flowers, which I take away in the morning before starting puja. The tricky thing is how and when to remove the powders and clean the Lingam. It is separate from the base (it is a very small stone lingam in a copper base), and some of the powder sometimes falls in between Lingam and base and this gets messy. Can I remove the Lingam from the

base in order to clean both? Or should the Lingam stay in the same position always and would it be better to offer the powders on a flower? At present I compromise by gently wiping the powders away with a cloth, but seeing how cleanliness is stressed in the Inside Sutras, I feel I may not be doing this right.-If the lingam plus base (or any murti) is installed on an asan, how do we clean them? Can we lift them up and put them back? Or do we manoeuver around them?looking forward to the next sutras,with love,Henny , "Nanda" <chandimaakijai wrote:>> Dear All,> > Thanks Wendy. Glad you are enjoying the excerpts from the book... and> yes some more to come..> > Continuing on ... here is another extract from the book "Inside Sutras"> .

Acknowledgement and thanks to Swamiji/Rami/Srini.> > "The Shiva Lingam near Homa> > > * The area around the Shiva Lingam must be kept clean at all times.> * The water that is offered to Shiva Collects in a bucket at the base> of the Lingam. This water may be used to water the plants around the> temple.> * Wash the Lingam regularly with clean water and wipe it down gently> with a clean cloth. Remember to clean the base also and all the other> articles of worship around the base of the Lingam regularly as well.> When the Lingam is very dirty or sticky , you may need to use soap and> water to clean. Use your discrimination.> > Napeshwar Shiva Lingam> > > * Give Lord Shiva a mustard oil coating three times per week, Monday,> Wednesday and Sunday, and a soap and water bath atleast once a week.> After multiple

applications, the mustard oil will form a thick , sticky> residue if the Lingam is not washed with soap and water regularly.> Remember to clean Him thoroughly and respectfully.> * Sweep His platform atleast three times a week."> > Jai SHIVA !!!> Nanda>

Park yourself in front of a world of choices in alternative vehicles.Visit the Auto Green Center.