IndiaDivine.org

The Power of Memorizing Mantras

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Namaste: Once several years ago I asked Maa what I could do to

increase my devotion to Shiva. She responded that I should memorize

His 108 names, and chant them from memory.

Swami has said many times that one's relationship with the diety will

grow stronger if one can chant looking continuously at the diety,

rather than reading from the text and glancing up from time to time.

So, over the years, I have memorized beginner Shiva and Durga pujas,

and some other mantras. There was a distinct change in my worship

when I was able to lay the book down, and chant looking directly at

the object of my love and worship.

As Swami says: " when you are in a relationship with someone you love,

you would not read them a love poem and occasionally glance at their

eyes, you would memorize the poem and look your lover right in the

eyes and tell them you love them, and feel their love in return. Just

so, you worship Shiva, and look Him in the eyes and wash His feet, and

offer Him a cloth to wear, and the best food you have, and decorate

Him with the best ornaments you have to offer, all while looking Him

in the eyes and telling Him you love Him. That is how your

relationship with Shiva will grow. "

Jai Ma Jai Swami

vishweshwar

Vish,Your post fills me with joy. Maa and Swami are so good to lead us down the path of enlightenment. And your post has helped to reinforce an experience I had a few weeks ago. At the time I was trying to tell myself I sld be angry because my responsibilities in this world were keeping me from practice. SO I THOUGHT or that was the excuse my ego was giving me so it cld blame and get angry and then I cld say I don't have to do this. Then recognizing the ego I lifted my hands to the sky as I marched off to do what ever it was that NEEDED to be done and began to praise Shiva and to resite the Begginner Puja. The feeling was incredible just incredible! What a way to do the chores. I had forgotten about that till you posted. So back to continueing to learn it all. May all your days be filled with the incredible joy of doing puja from your heart! May all your responsiblities be

completed as seva. Devi inspectionconnection108 <inspectionconnection108 wrote: Namaste: Once several years ago I asked Maa what I could do toincrease my devotion to Shiva. She responded that I should memorizeHis 108 names, and chant them from memory.Swami has said many times that one's relationship with the diety willgrow stronger if one can chant looking continuously at the diety,rather than reading from the text and glancing up from time to time. So, over the years, I have memorized

beginner Shiva and Durga pujas,and some other mantras. There was a distinct change in my worshipwhen I was able to lay the book down, and chant looking directly atthe object of my love and worship.As Swami says: "when you are in a relationship with someone you love,you would not read them a love poem and occasionally glance at theireyes, you would memorize the poem and look your lover right in theeyes and tell them you love them, and feel their love in return. Justso, you worship Shiva, and look Him in the eyes and wash His feet, andoffer Him a cloth to wear, and the best food you have, and decorateHim with the best ornaments you have to offer, all while looking Himin the eyes and telling Him you love Him. That is how yourrelationship with Shiva will grow."Jai Ma Jai Swamivishweshwar