IndiaDivine.org

to misra about Religion and Science

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

misra wrote:

>>You and Vishveshwar have a remarkable capacity for communicating. Your>>words reach out and touch the heart...and give the feeling of divine presence. >>I was startled by your use of the word kaleidoscope, because I had the>>same word in my mind....Swami's question is so relevant and so very important. People world>>over have been following so many different 'Spiritual Practices'...Perhaps>>it is my unusual circumstances that compels me to compare and wonder>>how anyone who has surrendered to God could dare to be a judge of>>others. Can spiritual practices be separated from religion? Haven't>>religions been the cause of many wars? Were they flawed? >>And yet, after joining Maa and Swami's spiritual family, prayers have>>taken on a different meaning with a different level of involvement.>>When Swami says 'Spiritual Practices' we all know what he means,>>because his blessings and Maa's have inducted the 'Spiritual>>Practices' in our lives. >>In response to the second part of your mail... the first book that>>spoke of the seamlessness of the universe was one that I read long ago - The Tao of Physics by >>Frithof Capra, was about the particle theory. there was another book called 'Dreams of a Final>>Theory"' by Steven Weinberg..

Dear misra ~ first I must apologize to you and group for taking so long. I've been having a bit more difficulty with my health over the last week, and so I got behind in reading the digest. It's a bit overwhelming to see 4 new ones in my inbox, and I want to read them all. But first I wanted to thank you so much for your kind words and your thoughtful consideration of Swamiji's question, in relation, perhaps, to the history of religions and spirituality. I will agree with you. I have never understood how anyone who claims to believe in a spiritual reality, in God/dess, whatever their individual path, could ever harm another in the name of religion, and, as you say, even set themselves above all others to be authority figures who are the main holders of the Truth.

What I like about the concept of spiritual practices, is that this way of thinking about it, sets it apart form the idea of any particular religion. Even though we know that Sanatana Dharma (not sure I spelled that correctly) is a Hindu path; it is so open. This is partly why I gravitated to Hinduism and Eastern Spirituality Belief Systems ... there was no imperative to say others are wrong, or to go to war with them, or any of the things that have been unfortunately been done in the name of religion. As we evolve, as individuals, as groups, as communities, as nations, as members of the Family of Earth, I believe this will limited view will change -- is already changing. And surely we need the interface between Spirituality and Science, since, as you stated so well, this actually already exists.

Thank you also for the suggestions of the books. I know of The Tao of Physics, but have never read it. And I very much like the title of the second. I will be adding these to my list of books for fall reading (it seems so weird to me that summer is nearly over).

Your sharing and outlook is much appreciated. Shanti ~ Linda Looking for a car that's sporty, fun and fits in your budget? Read reviews on AOL Autos.