IndiaDivine.org

Digest Number 2723

Rate this topic

Guest guest

....I asked Swami how I could grow and expand my practice. I explained that I have been doing the same...He suggested the following: "if you have a limited

amount of time each day, say 45 minutes, then do you regular

mantras/pujas for 30 minutes, and something new for 15 minutes. Why, I asked? He continued:"if you are not doing something new, you will get stagnant."

I have followed his advice, and...It added a whole new

depth to my experience. Swami indicated that although there is One God, He/She is worshiped in

many different forms, and each form of God gives a devotee a different

experience of the Divine. Therefore, worshiping Shiva, Vishnu, Durga, etc., in one sitting,

gives one a broader and deeper experience. The Cosmic Puja text is a great text because each of the "major"

deities is represented in a succinct format, with their Gayatri

mantra, their meditation, and the system of worship for placing their

mantra onto the fingers and onto the body. I am so glad I asked Swami for advice and then followed it.dear vish ~ I too am happy you asked Swamiji this question. What a great answer. Now my question to you, and

maybe to Swamiji is this: would doing 108 times (1 mala) of chanting the Gayatri be another way to do this?

I am still only beginning to feel better, so have to pace myself. Last week I did something I've been wanting to

do for a long time. My hubby, David, moved some shelves around in our spare bedroom so that I now have a

space to create my altar, and when I get home, that is at the top of my agenda. Do you or Swamiji know of a

short way to consecrate a new altar (maybe 15 - 30 min.)? I'll look forward to the answers with excitement.

Jai Swamiji !!!!!

Linda

Find phone numbers fast with the New AOL Yellow Pages!

guari wrote:

Namaste Henny and everybody,

....i actually started the 108 reps, but i will definitely be up for doing

it as a group over Navaratri.

If we divide it up into 9 days, that's 12 reps a day. i timed myself

last night and it took me an hour to chant 10...Dear gauri ~ can you remind me where to find the Ahsishersham (probably not spelled right ... I am getting

to my aol mail secondhand, and I can't figure out a way to go backwards without pushing myself out of the

internet altogether. Will await your response with eagerness ~ Linda

kumari wrote

The thing that strikes me about this story is that we must follow our dharma even though there may be pain associated with it, because in not completing that duty, there is even worse pain on all levels and the joy of doing it is so much greater than the pain.

dear kumari ~ thank you for getting the discussion started. I guess I didn't get this far yet, but I whole-

heartedly agree with you. Now I want to jump in with some questions. I discovered, when I started chanting

Chapter 4, that there were a lot of things I wished to understand at a deeper level. There is a lot of specific

imagery, which I would call symbolic, and I find I want a deeper understanding of this, to broaden my under-

standing and appreciation, not just of Chapter 4, but the whole Chandi Path. So here goes ... I would be eager

to get as much perspective on this (from as many who are interested).

1.What is the significance of the "digit of the moon...fastened upon Her head"? Does this point to Her

relationship to Shiva? Beyond that, what is the meaning of the moon in this context. In other work I have

studied, the moon often has to do with deep intuitive knowledge and from diving deep (beyond the surface of

the ocean of relationships and objects), to the very depths of Being. TM uses the ocean metaphor to speak

to going deeply within "to the Being." Any impressions and feedback will be greatly appreciated.

2. What is the significance of Her standing on the shoulders of the Lion? In some spirituality belief systems,

the Lion stands, on one hand, for a representation of raw passion/action. In the Tarot, there is a picture of a woman. With

one hand resting on the Lion's shoulder, the picture shows the woman putting her head in the Lion's mouth. To me

this speaks of having achieved a great trust of the raw energy of Being. as well as getting beyond appearances and, so

to speak, making friends with one's Lion.

3. What does the symbolism of the objects She holds in her hands: "...a conch, discus, a small sword or scimitar,

and a trident. To me. tje conch would again be a reference tp tje dee[est depths of the ocean. The discus, I am

guessing, is the discuss of revolving time, but what does that mean? And what about the sword/scimitar? I'm

assuming the trident shows a relationship with Vishnu, but I'd like to go a bit deeper, and if I am wrong about it's

referencing Vishnu, please let me know.

Okay, I have more questions, but for now, these will do. Devi Mandir Family ki jai !!!!!! ~ Linda